Archer: Five Wonders - Moving Dez Bryant

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Five Wonders: Moving Dez Bryant
November, 11, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

LONDON -- For the second straight week Five Wonders is brought to you from London, and it could be the final time when hearing Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones say he will not give up a home game -- even for a Super Bowl -- to play at Wembley Stadium.

The Cowboys are such a big draw on the road that the Jacksonville Jaguars would seem to be the only team willing to give up a home game in order to play them in London.

Away we go:

I don’t wonder if the Cowboys coaches listen to Michael Irvin, but I do wonder if he knew something we didn’t last week when he said the Cowboys have to do more to make sure Dez Bryant is involved in the offense. Irvin mentioned bunch sets to give Bryant a free release at the line. The Cowboys didn’t do that, but they did move Bryant all over the formation to dictate coverages. His 35-yard touchdown catch was a perfect example. The Jaguars brought five pass-rushers as the Cowboys showed a two-tight end set on second-and-8 and Bryant lined up tight to the left. He ran a shallow cross and was uncovered. The idea of the play was to set up a third-and-short, but Bryant ran away from safety Johnathan Cyprien, who had the coverage responsibilities, and through the rest of the Jacksonville defense for the touchdown. On his 68-yard touchdown, Bryant lined up outside the numbers to the right, put a terrific release on the cornerback and Tony Romo hit him over the top.

I wonder if the coaches will show Terrance William's hustle on Joseph Randle's 40-yard touchdown run when they meet with the players for the first time after the Jacksonville win. It was rather amazing. Lined up to the right side of the formation in the slot, Williams was able to block cornerback Peyton Thompson at the Jacksonville 36 as Randle gets the handoff. As Randle breaks free, Williams is four yards behind his teammate, leaps Thompson, then has to hurdle Devin Street and Dwayne Gratz. Four defenders have an angle on Randle, but the runner is able to shrug off Cyprien at the 14. At the 7-yard line, Williams gets just enough of Demetrius McCray to knock him off balance to make it easier for Randle to run through him and get to the end zone. That is the kind of relentless spirit Jason Garrett talks about.

I wonder how confounding the coaches find Bruce Carter. He is the definition of inconsistent. It can be play to play, series to series, game to game, week to week and month to month. That will hurt Carter when he tests the free agent market in the offseason. But Carter was active and involved in the win against the Jaguars. He even recorded his second interception of the season. The Carter who played against the Jaguars is the Carter the Cowboys need for the rest of the season. He would be wise to make sure he plays at this level, too, because of his impending free agency. A team will take a gamble on his athleticism -- I don’t think the Cowboys keep him with a big deal, if you were wondering -- but they will go only so high if he doesn’t show consistency.

I wonder if teams are starting to target Sterling Moore the way they did Mario Edwards as the 2003 season wore on. Moore has had some struggles the past two games against the Arizona Cardinals and Jacksonville Jaguars. Edwards was a starter in 2003 as the Cowboys built a surprising record early in the season only to get beat repeatedly on Thanksgiving by the Miami Dolphins. The Cowboys made the playoffs in Bill Parcells’ first year, but lost three of their final five regular-season games and were eventually bounced in the wild-card round. Moore has done a decent job when the season is viewed as a whole. The Cowboys should be happy he was there when Morris Claiborne was lost for the season. But are teams figuring him out? And now the Cowboys won’t be able to turn to Tyler Patmon if they wanted to because of a knee injury.

I wonder what Zack Martin says to his teammates after touchdowns. This will be something I ask the rookie guard the next time I see him, but he is always around the player who scores in the end zone, slapping a helmet or knocking him off balance. Garrett also made mention of how Martin is always there to help his running backs up off the ground. Another offensive lineman who used to do that? Marc Colombo. They play different positions -- Colombo was a tackle -- but they have some similarities in on-field manners.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
LONDON -- For the second straight week Five Wonders is brought to you from London, and it could be the final time when hearing Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones say he will not give up a home game -- even for a Super Bowl -- to play at Wembley Stadium.
:towel

Best thing Jerry has said in a long time.

Cotton

Staff member
:towel

Best thing Jerry has said in a long time.
Which is weird, because it has been reported that he is for having a London NFL team. Am I missing something?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Which is weird, because it has been reported that he is for having a London NFL team. Am I missing something?
Giving up a home game and having another team in London are two entirely different things.

But, they are both retarded. I wish they'd give up this playing in London stupidity.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But, they are both retarded. I wish they'd give up this playing in London stupidity.
It would be foolish for the NFL to not try to cultivate core fans in every part of the world.

Movie producers began targeting European audiences and distributing films abroad decades ago, and now it's paying off with over 50% of many blockbusters' grosses coming from overseas.

That number will only increase. There's only 350 million Americans and close to 7 billion around the rest of the world. Multiple international football leagues are inevitable, but they can't happen without these London games as a start.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It would be foolish for the NFL to not try to cultivate core fans in every part of the world.

Movie producers began targeting European audiences and distributing films abroad decades ago, and now it's paying off with over 50% of many blockbusters' grosses coming from overseas.

That number will only increase. There's only 350 million Americans and close to 7 billion around the rest of the world. Multiple international football leagues are inevitable, but they can't happen without these London games as a start.
What an ignorant comparison. Actual live players that have to travel thousands upon thousands of miles between games vs making a movie in Hollywood and shipping some copies over seas.

We're dealing with a live product here, not something that once made will last through the ages. And there's such a thing as over saturation, and if they spread the players too thin, the product will suffer. They are not talking about starting up a league over there. That's already been tried and failed. They're talking about putting an actual real live NFL team in London. One which will play 8 games in London ENGLAND and 8 games in the US. During one season. Yeah, I see that going over like a fart in church. It's not like trying to get people to pony up a few bucks to see Ishtar.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jerry's always said he'd never give up a home game. He makes way too much money on a gameday to do that.

And yeah, the idea of a Euro team is so stupid. It's just not practical. But Goodell and the owners don't care, they'll try it anyway.

Cotton

Staff member

Then wait until there is enough interest to start a league over there. Don't make American league teams travel that far to play one game. It's dumb.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Then wait until there is enough interest to start a league over there. Don't make American league teams travel that far to play one game. It's dumb.
They jut had a league over there and it imploded. I dont think they have any interest in American football.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Unless the NFL does something to spark interest, the "wait" will be long, as in infinity. Most Americans who went crazy about soccer earlier in the year could have given a crap about the sport until the American team had half a chance at the World Cup.

Nothing builds interest like demonstrating your product and marketing it in someone's backyard. 95% of Americans still could give a crap about cricket, for example.

Once grass-roots popularity starts, you can drum up TV coverage. Once kids and families start watching local teams and leagues can form, and then it's only a matter of time before talent begins to flow between all foreign leagues.

Then eventually you can have real playoffs.

America's Dream Team absolutely thrashed all international basketball competition in the 1992 olympics, and the world couldn't have been more grateful. When people have an ideal to strive for, they tend to improve. Now international teams are NBA-caliber.

Nothing happens without those first steps, though.

kidd

DCC 4Life
They jut had a league over there and it imploded. I dont think they have any interest in American football.
Exactly. There seems to be no interest whatsoever.

DallasCowboys.com was interviewing local residents and hardly any could name a position or a player. Even when someone could name QB as a position, they couldn't tell you what the QB did.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
What an ignorant comparison. Actual live players that have to travel thousands upon thousands of miles between games vs making a movie in Hollywood and shipping some copies over seas.

We're dealing with a live product here, not something that once made will last through the ages. And there's such a thing as over saturation, and if they spread the players too thin, the product will suffer. They are not talking about starting up a league over there. That's already been tried and failed. They're talking about putting an actual real live NFL team in London. One which will play 8 games in London ENGLAND and 8 games in the US. During one season. Yeah, I see that going over like a fart in church. It's not like trying to get people to pony up a few bucks to see Ishtar.
Exactly.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Exactly. There seems to be no interest whatsoever.

DallasCowboys.com was interviewing local residents and hardly any could name a position or a player. Even when someone could name QB as a position, they couldn't tell you what the QB did.
And how is that different than some of the idiots in the US who claim to be sports fans? I've run across quite a few like that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And how is that different than some of the idiots in the US who claim to be sports fans? I've run across quite a few like that.
Back in the early 2000s I ran into a Skins fan that wore skins gear every day and couldn't name as many of their starters as I could (He could only name 4 and I knew their entire starting lineup) and he thought Darrell Green was still playing a year after he retired.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Back in the early 2000s I ran into a Skins fan that wore skins gear every day and couldn't name as many of their starters as I could (He could only name 4 and I knew their entire starting lineup) and he thought Darrell Green was still playing a year after he retired.
There may be a lot of "ignorant" fans but they still have an interest in the game and a certain amount of passion.

Top Bottom