2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
To be fair it's not like there was ever a handbook on how to do this. From a business perspective, Jones has taken the Cowboys into the stratosphere, and at the time of that conversation (I believe) he had made all the right moves.

Until he allowed Jimmy Johnson to leave.

Even still he redefined how the NFL should run its businesses.

Unfortunately that didn't include the business of winning.
Jimmy Johnson is not a hard lesson.. Jimmy wanted to leave. He simply had been in Dallas as long as he could stand it. Florida was always on his mind.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jimmy Johnson is not a hard lesson.. Jimmy wanted to leave. He simply had been in Dallas as long as he could stand it. Florida was always on his mind.
Fair enough, but Jerry made it too easy for Jimmy to bolt while the team was in its prime.

You look how at the Patriots traded Bill Parcells to the Jets and got a 1st round pick. Jerry should have written into Jimmy's contract that he could interview with any NFL team outside the division during the month of February as long as the Cowboys received proper compensation if he were hired away.

As you said, he wanted to leave anyway and that clause would have both satisfied Johnson and compensated the team.

But he allowed Johnson to leave without compensation of any kind and let his ego get in the way of finding a suitable football partner to replace Johnson with. That started the slippery slope of diarrhea that we're mired in to this day.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fair enough, but Jerry made it too easy for Jimmy to bolt while the team was in its prime.

You look how at the Patriots traded Bill Parcells to the Jets and got a 1st round pick. Jerry should have written into Jimmy's contract that he could interview with any NFL team outside the division during the month of February as long as the Cowboys received proper compensation if he were hired away.

As you said, he wanted to leave anyway and that clause would have both satisfied Johnson and compensated the team.

But he allowed Johnson to leave without compensation of any kind and let his ego get in the way of finding a suitable football partner to replace Johnson with. That started the slippery slope of diarrhea that we're mired in to this day.
The idea of coaches being commodities worth draft choices kind of happened a few years later.

I can't fault Jones for that.

I get we are still all butt hurt about Johnson, but it happened. Jerry ran him off while Johnson was already paving his way out of town.

Now, I find way way more fault with what Jones did after Johnson left than lament about how that all went down anymore.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

The coach and the owner were on a collision course. Owners will usually opt to save face and in the instant case that is what happened. Jones served it up as a firing and paid him for his contract. Owners prerogative and very easy to predict.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Now, I find way way more fault with what Jones did after Johnson left than lament about how that all went down anymore.
It all started with Johnson's departure though.

Because it went down exactly that way, Jones felt he had to prove to the Universe that he could do it by himself. Before that, he often talked about needing a partner to move forward with. After, it became all about trying to prove himself.

That philosophy became ingrained, outside of Parcells' four year run.

townsend

Banned
I can't imagine Jerry being able to talk Jimmy out of leaving. The only thing I fault Jerry for is not seeking out intellgent football people to manage the team in Jimmy's absence. All the instincts Jerry has as a businessman are what also make him a shit GM. Being an expert salesman and wildcatter who changes his strategy on a yearly basis is probably a great way to be a billionaire. But good GMs have a long term plan that they actually stick to, scouts they actually listen to, and probably have an unhealthy dedication to that one job, and aren't moonlighting as 4 other things.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Jimmy was indeed leaving eventually. But, he left earlier than he planned because he couldn't take it anymore. You can certainly fault Jerry for that.

As was pointed out already, just as big a sin is jerry's unwillingness to bring in legit football people afterwards. Jimmy was an all-timer but someone has been winning super bowls every year and we haven't been hiring them.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It all started with Johnson's departure though.

Because it went down exactly that way, Jones felt he had to prove to the Universe that he could do it by himself. Before that, he often talked about needing a partner to move forward with. After, it became all about trying to prove himself.

That philosophy became ingrained, outside of Parcells' four year run.
And an unrelenting need on Jones' part for validation and credit for what Johnson was able to accomplish on the field.

Jones and his constant refrain: 'Did you like them Super Bowls?' has been his mantra and blatant cry for attention.

'Look at me, look at me! I did this!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Perfect example of how not going up for a ball and extending your arms limits your catches. But, being a body catcher doesn't like matter and stuff.

Cotton

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
So, I guess you are okay with a receiver not going after a ball? It looks like he is fielding a fucking punt.
No I am not.

Just wondering who you are arguing against because I don't remember anybody ever saying it was ok.

But random is random.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
No I am not.

Just wondering who you are arguing against because I don't remember anybody ever saying it was ok.

But random is random.
There has been plenty of debate over catching with the body as opposed to hands. Not only with Williams either.

Cotton

Staff member
No I am not.

But random is random.
There have been plenty of people say, yourself included, that the body catching thing is overblown. This is the perfect example of how it can drastically hurt a receiver's game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been plenty of people say, yourself included, that the body catching thing is overblown. This is the perfect example of how it can drastically hurt a receiver's game.

Could be that body catching and high pointing a ball are two different things.

Cotton

Staff member
Could be that body catching and high pointing a ball are two different things.
They absolutely are different things. One is going up for the ball like Fuller is here, and one is what Williams is doing in the picture I posted. Still doesn't mean that Fuller isn't considered a body catcher by like almost every scout out there. Not real sure of what your point is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom