The OTA/Mini Camp Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Thoughts Entering Organized Team Activities

Posted 2 hours ago

Bryan BroaddusFootball Analyst/Scout

With Organized Team Activities kicking off Tuesday for the next three weeks, I thought I would take a few moments to give you some of my thoughts:

•Despite all the questions that will be asked of Tony Romo on Tuesday about the comments made by Jerry Jones during the offseason, I honestly believe that nothing will change in his approach to how he gets ready to play these games and his interactions with Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan. Starting quarterbacks around the league have input to the type of plays that the club is going to run each week. When Brett Favre was a first year starter for us in Green Bay, Mike Holmgren would go through each play that week and ask Brett what he felt comfortable with. Favre was not a veteran quarterback, but Holmgren never wanted to call a play that Brett felt great about running. Tony Romo has always been a hard worker in his preparation and knowledge of what the plan was going into the game. I can speak from experience in visiting with him after games and being amazed with his ability to recall play by play, read by read of what happened to him in a game. You don’t do this by accident, you have this ability because you are really locked into what is happening on the field but also what the coaches are trying to do and this will never change.

•Two weeks ago, these rookies got a big taste of what will be expected of them each day they step on the practice field under this coaching staff. In my years in the NFL, I have always been a huge fan of bringing in the rookies early before the veterans just for this reason. Let the rookies get that feel of the pace and let them make mistakes that can be corrected then and there. In training camp coaches are teaching with the thought of getting ready to play games and don’t always have the time to go back and make major corrections. In these OTAs and mini camps, it’s easier to take a step back and coach these rookies using the examples of these veteran players as examples. Terrance Williams didn’t have the best start to his rookie camp but now he can study how Dez Bryant and Miles Austin run their routes and with that mental picture it can help him get a better understand of what he is going to have to do to be successful going forward.
•Injuries made things very difficult for this squad last season. In this first OTA practice, there will be a few players that will not take part in the action, but guys like Sean Lee, Barry Church, Bruce Carter, Jay Ratliff and Matt Johnson will be in the mix. These camps will be especially important for a guy like Johnson who lost his entire rookie season to a hamstring problem that never healed. When this camp opens it will be Johnson and Church at safeties to start. Kyle Wilber is another player like Johnson that will also be looking for a second chance to show better at defensive end. Players that will be limited in the camp will be DeMarcus Ware, Mackenzy Bernadeau and Danny Coale, who will have his hands full in an attempt to make this squad at wide receiver.

•It was this time last year where I noticed several players that appeared to make that jump from one season to another. Dez Bryant physically looked in better shape and his routes were run with purpose. Dwayne Harris played with better quickness and Barry Church stepped up and begun his quest to win the starting job. Players that I am going to keep an eye on that could possibly make that jump are: Jermey Parnell, Tyrone Crawford, Ronald Leary and James Hanna. Of these four players, Crawford has the most experience and he was only a rookie. Parnell will be given every opportunity to start over Doug Free. I feel like Leary is most likely a year away but Hanna is very intriguing to me. Just watching him play during training camp and then going back and talking to folks about how he practiced each week gives me a great deal of hope that he could develop into something special. I like what I am hearing about using this “12” personnel group but my gut tells me that Hanna will be the one that takes advantage of the situation to work with Witten. I do like Gavin Escobar a great deal but he doesn’t move up the field like James Hanna does. Keep an eye on these four players and see who makes that jump in 2013.

•I will be very interested to see how much progress that cornerback B.W. Webb is going to make the next three weeks. He was clearly the best corner on the field during the rookie mini-camp and with the veterans in the mix will he be able to carry that over now that they are here? Webb did play mainly on the right side and on the depth chart as it sits, he is behind Mo Claiborne and Orlando Scandrick. He will not start ahead of Claiborne but can he show enough ability to work ahead of Scandrick not only on the depth chart but in the role of the nickel corner. Webb has the talent to put pressure on Scandrick but he doesn’t have the experience. I see this competition as a good thing because last season it just wasn’t there and Scandrick knew that but with Webb on the squad, it’s going to make him have to elevate his level of play to keep his job.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What to watch: Cowboys OTAs

May, 21, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys are one of several NFL teams beginning organized team activities this week. The OTAs, as they're called, are non-contact, three-days-a-week practices over the next three weeks. These practices are not in pads nor are they mandatory. Some players will attend some of the OTAs, if not all of them.

Here's a primer:

Who will be there? There's an expectation that the entire team will attend at least the first day of OTAs. However, some players might not anticipate due to their recovery from injury. Quarterback Tony Romo is out three weeks after undergoing minor surgery on his back to remove a cyst and won't participate. Defensive end DeMarcus Ware (shoulder and elbow) might be limited in some fashion for the OTAs, while Sean Lee (toe), Jay Ratliff (sports hernia) and Orlando Scandrick (hand) will be full participants. Rookies who are still finishing up with school are not allowed to participate. Safety Matt Johnson was in this situation last year.

What are the rules? Players can wear helmets and other equipment, but no shoulder pads. Teams can have 11-on-11 drills, special teams and 7-on-7 drills. Players can practice for up to two hours. If a player gets hurt and is released, the team will reach an injury settlement. In some cases, depending on the player, the team will guarantee his base salary.

What we're watching? We know the defensive starters except at safety. The main candidates are: Barry Church, Will Allen, Danny McCray, J.J. Wilcox and Johnson. Who plays with the first-team? Church, last year's starter, and maybe Allen could get reps with the first-team defense. Johnson, who missed his entire rookie season with hamstring injuries, also could get some first-team looks.

Tyrone Crawford said he's getting looks at defensive end and tackle. Kyle Wilber, drafted as a outside linebacker in 2012, has been moved to end. Does Wilber get first-team reps on Ware's side?

On offense, first-round draft pick Travis Frederick is projected as the starting center but expect Phil Costa to have something to say about that. It'll be interesting to see if Frederick gets snaps at guard and center with the first team. Ronald Leary should also gets some snaps with the first-team.

Dwayne Harris is the No. 3 receiver, but rookie Terrance Williams wasn't drafted in the third round to sit the bench. Tight end Gavin Escobar, a second-round pick, should get some snaps with the first-team offense, but don't forget about James Hanna.

Media access: The OTAs last three days, but the media is allowed to watch practice and talk with the players and coach Jason Garrett on Tuesday only.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 1m
“@Jhonnyyuma: @BryanBroaddus Who,s takin first team center snaps....?” Costa.

Rainer Sabin ‏@RainerSabinDMN 45s
Cowboys safety Matt Johnson, who didn't play in a regular season game as a rookie, is practicing at the team's first OTA.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 5m
Anthony Hargrove is far from football shape right now. pic.twitter.com/j8jRywHDZ6

Derek Eagleton ‏@derekeagleton 5m
Murray and Lissemore working with trainer. pic.twitter.com/K524jOoPxL

Calvin Watkins Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 6m
Anthony Hargrove is doing some running just to get in shape. No health issues. He hasn't played in a year.

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 7m
Tony romo is here baseball hat on backward just helping out. pic.twitter.com/cAJ61WmQup

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 2m
Matt Johnson is getting snaps with the 1s in team now.

mike fisher ‏@fishsports 17m
JJ Wilcox with the D Play of Day... Interception shows athleticism #cowboys

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 1m
Johnson out there now with the 1s at safety. One constant seems to be Church. Frederick also chugging across the field on that screen pass

Brad Sham ‏@Boys_Vox 4m
Matt Johnson pick.

Blogging The Boys ‏@BloggingTheBoys 2m
Watching stream.. just saw Frederick downfield blocking Lee on a successful screen, then the Cowboys in the pistol formation.

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 8m
Jakar Hamilton and Justin Durant also running on side.

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 9m
OTA time. Everybody here who is supposed to be here, including the qb. No Vickers (hurt) or Brent. Liss, Murray, Lawrence, Hargrove on side.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 11m
First DL Ware, Ratliff, Hatcher and Spencer. Ratliff at 3 Hatcher at 1. pic.twitter.com/qqQsmv1qrp

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 13m
Sean Lee and D Ware out there with 1s. No full pads practice but still a good sign.

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 14m
Will Allen and Barry church getting some 1-team reps at safety. Matt Johnson and Danny McCray getting 2-team look.

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 17m
Demarco Murray and Sean Lissemore working with bands on the side during OTAs.

Matt Johnson already getting yelled at (took a bad angle.) #cowboys coach pissed.

mike fisher ‏@fishsports 19m
Tony Romo at practice. Light throwing on #cowboys sideline

mike fisher ‏@fishsports 20m
Texas heat a problem for @JDurant52 ? No. He's wearing #cowboys sweatshirt under jersey at OTAs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlos A. Mendez‏@calexmendez2m Tyrone Crawford says he hurt his back today. Didn't finish practice. Wasn't happy about. Said he ought to be ok in day or two.

mike fisher‏@fishsports25s
.@DeMarcoMurray tells me why he sat out. 'It 'a hamstring. Very minor, just precautionary,' RB says #cowboys @Radio105

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlos A. Mendez‏@calexmendez5m Doug Free says no interviews today, maybe tomorrow. lol.

Good talk with Matt Johnson. Said he and Barry Church have been looking forward to this day.

Bernadeau said he did everything but team drills today. He had a big sweat going. He liked his workout. That's the plan for now.

Orlando Scandrick says the hand is great, he's been catching passes for months, the secondary has a good mix of vets and youth.

Scan says Jenks is doing great, ready for a new start.

Big crowd around Dan Bailey. He's probably talking about tornado. He's from Mustang, Okla.

Dez Bryant: 'I feel comfortable in my life right now.'

Bryan Broaddus‏@BryanBroaddus6m
“@doyle_pj: @BryanBroaddus who was calling the offensive plays?” Callahan.

“@relaxwithaki: how does barry church look running around? Is there any hitch in his step or slowness from the achilles surgery?” None I saw

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
WTH? We barely start and Murray is out with a hamstring?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Start the Miles countdown. . . .
He's trying!
----------------------------

Miles Austin trying to avoid hamstring issues

May, 21, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys voiced a slight frustration with the health of wide receiver Miles Austin.

He's largely been able to stay productive, however, producing 20 touchdowns over the last three seasons, two 1,000-yard seasons and coming up just 57 yards short of another 1,000-yard season in 2012.

But the Cowboys know they need Austin healthy. Austin has had hamstring issues his entire career. And while he played in every game last season, his hamstrings were a constant topic of discussion because of his inability to practice at times.

Austin said he's doing different things this offseason to make sure his hamstrings don't become an issue again.

"I'm definitely strengthening my hamstrings a lot more than I have been," Austin said. "Just doing a different routine, a couple of extra exercises each day on our leg days. Just running hard and trying to compete at a higher level this time, that way it doesn't shock your muscles when you actually do it for real."

Coach Jason Garrett said Austin has to protect himself when he works out because he sometimes goes so hard and overdoes it. The Cowboys have to communicate with Austin on a regular basis when he does workouts, given his leg history.

Austin spent five weeks early in the season on the injury report because of his hamstrings. He was listed as questionable on the injury report in the season-opener against the New York Giants. Austin also spent 10 weeks on the injury report in 2011 for hamstring issues and missed six games.

"What he says about that, I assume at the end of practices we're working hard," Austin said. "And I'm going to continue to do that. I got to train as well as I can beforehand, but I can't be the player that I am (if I don't) practice hard, and I will continue to do those things."

Cotton

Staff member
Precautionary. "Tweaked" it. Relax. If the team is not concerned neither should you, Bucko.
That's true. Uncle Jer has it aaaaallllllllll under control.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
JJ Wilcox with the D Play of Day... Interception shows athleticism #cowboys

Brad Sham ‏@Boys_Vox 4m
Matt Johnson pick.
No one with half a brain expects anything from either of you given the track record of this front office. Please keep it up and break this trend.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout’s Notebook: Some Observations From Tuesday’s OTA

Posted 15 hours ago

Just a few observations from the OTAs for the Cowboys this morning:

•During the practice for the offensive line the most consistent fixture was Tyron Smith at left tackle and Nate Livings at left guard but the other positions saw various combinations such as Jermey Parnell at right tackle working with Ronald Leary at guard or Doug Free working with both Leary, David Arkin and at times even Kevin Kowalski. Of Free and Parnell, it appeared by my view that Free had a slightly better of the day overall but both players seemed to struggled at times against Anthony Spencer and his quickness. It’s clear that Parnell is stronger than Free and was better at sitting down on his man. Free did a better job of working his man wide and to the outside. As this possess moves on both players are going to get plenty of chances to win this job.
•Rookie Travis Frederick took the majority of the snaps at center with Phil Costa and Ryan Cook serving as the backups. Frederick was much better in this practice handling the twist stunts in the blitz period than he was at the rookie mini-camp. Where Frederick had his struggles was sitting down on rushers like that used power against him. There was were a couple of times where he didn’t adjust to the quickness and burst of Jason Hatcher and he was walked back. There was another play where Robert Callaway got the best of him with a power move. He also took a nice shot to the head when he went up onto the second level and ran head first into Sean Lee who stopped him in his tracks. What Frederick is going to have to learn against these veteran players is how to finish blocks.

•In the “12” personnel groups it appears that there is going to be a regular group that consists of James Hanna and Jason Witten, then there is “Big 12” where Gavin Escobar and Witten are part of the formation. In the regular group it appears that Witten plays inline as the “Y” and Hanna becomes the Wing or move guy. It was a little bit different for Escobar in this practice on the backside when he had to make the cut off block because the linebackers like Carter and Sims are just not going to stand in the same place. It was a good learning experience for him to go through this.
•Before this OTA, I was able to take a peek at a depth chart that had Matt Johnson and Barry Church as the starters at safety so I was looking forward to the pairing when practice opened. When the first defense took the field, it was Church and the veteran Will Allen that were together. When the second defense lined up, there was Johnson with Danny McCray and rookie J.J. Wilcox was working with the third group. Much like the offensive line, there were plenty of different pairings with Johnson getting a chance to run with Church after all. I liked what I saw from Johnson today for a couple of different reasons. His best trait and I remember this from his college film is his burst. There was one time where he was down in the box and they brought him off the edge on a blitz and he was on the ball in a hurry. He has a real feel for this. His pedal looked smooth and relaxed when he was playing deep. The main thing is that he looks ready to compete and I see that as a real plus.
•If you allow me to knee jerk on one practice of OTAs, please allow me to do it with Anthony Spencer. From my view, I thought he was the best defensive player on the field when they went against the first offense. There is something about him when it comes to putting his hand on the ground and getting up the field. There is explosiveness there that these coaches are going to take advantage of. He has a real understand of have to use pass rush moves as he is going up the field. No defensive linemen showed the quickness that he showed today. He is the type of rusher that leaves blockers reaching for him. He gives them no hitting surface and when a tackle can’t get his hands on the rusher, he is going to allow pressure and that happened several times today.
•I liked what I observed from Ronald Leary today after one practice. He was able to carry some positive practices in the rookie mini-camp over to this one. His movement was good both run and pass but what I really noticed was his ability to punch with some pop. Ben Bass tried to loop around on the twist stunt and Leary was standing there waiting and shocked him to the ground. There were times where Leary was able to sit down on his man and not allow any type of push. Leary got looks at both the left and right guard spots and was productive on either side. Another good start for him.
•I am going to give you a name of a player that only his mother and father know that he is on the team but he caught my eye today. Defensive end Cameron Sheffield is not a household name but for one practice he played like we should all learn it. Sheffield played with really nice quickness and was difficult to block when on the move. His best move of the day was using a quick swim move to free himself on the rush, then another time knifed hard down inside getting in the backfield for a tackle for loss. In a scheme where quickness and getting up the field is key, Cameron Sheffield did his part to make the coaches stand up and take notice of him.
•I have been super critical of Orlando Scandrick this off season because I believe there is so much more to his game and today he showed that. I have always believed that Scandrick is one of the smartest cornerbacks I have ever been around but there are times where I believed that got him in trouble. There has never been a question in my mind about his skill set and when he can read a route, he can really drive on the ball. This morning Eric Rogers tried to run a curl with Scandrick playing as the right corner. When Rogers tried to make his break inside, Scandrick was there waiting on the ball. The only problem with the play was that he needed to finish with the interception but the ball bounced off his hands and feel incomplete. The play showed the type of ability he can play with and the coaches hope that they can see that more often.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys Notebook From Inside OTAs

MIKE FISHER |

Published: Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 1:50pm

IRVING, Texas – A skillion quickie impressions from the Dallas Cowboys' work at OTAs at Valley Ranch:

*Tony Romo isn't Peyton Manning. But being sidelined by the cyst-removal surgery didn't prevent him from light sideline throwing or from counseling teammates. He was especially demonstrative in instructing Dez Bryant how to simulate the footwork needed to pretend he's running against press coverage during route-running practice.

*Mo Claiborne reports that he's gained six pounds of muscle -- helpful for a cornerback trying to survive in the Tampa-2 scheme.

*New linebacker Justin Durant is expected to win the strongside job. But he didn't win it on Tuesday. He didn't fully participate, instead workout out on the side while wearing a thick hoodie sweatshirt under his jersey. While Durant sweated out some water weight, Alex Albright and Ernie Sims took some first-team snaps.

*Kyle Orton did not throw the ball very accurately on Tuesday. It would be helpful if the veteran would ramp it up.

*Defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin told me that the "3-tech'' and the "1-tech'' decision "doesn't matter.'' Monte is, of course, playing dumb. The 3-Tech job winner has a chance to be a star; the 1-Tech guy is a plugger. On Tuesday, Jay Ratliff played the 3, Jason Hatcher the 1.

*"I don't think I'm an 8-8 quarterback,'' says Romo, and you can fact-away at this or you can joke-away at this. But this level of belief is a foundation of making the belief come true.

*Rookie Travis Frederick got much of the first-team work at center ahead of Phil Costa. (Who looks fit and happy, maybe in part the result of him dating Hulk Hogan's celebrity daughter Brooke.)
*Linebackers Sean Lee and Bruce Carter promised they'd be healthy for OTAs. Promises fulfilled.

*Massive Andre Smith (6-6, 270) might have a crack at being the fourth tight end here simply because the roster needs somebody who can block. (Especially if Dallas goes without a fullback on the roster). Smith can certainly absorb an accidental hit, as he was dropped by rookie linebacker Brandon Magee in what is supposed to be non-contact work.

*The cyst is off Romo's back. But as evidenced by all the attention it's getting, it's clear the monkey's still attached.

*Jared Green, maybe a practice-squad candidate or maybe something more, jumps out with his speed. Makes sense, as he's the son of Hall-of-Famer Darrell Green.

*Tackle Tyron Smith, primed for a big year, has gained 10 pounds in order to be more of a road-grater. Meanwhile, his haircut is very close-cropped. Why? 'Mainly, because I'm going bald,'' the 22-year-old tells me.

*There is every indication that '12 Personnel' is going to be Dallas' base offense, with Jason Witten being joined by James Hanna (who is still ahead of rookie Gavin Escobar).
*Terrance Williams still has small hands and still has a case of the dropsies. Stay with that JUGS machine, son.

*Matt Johnson got yelled at early for taking a bad angle on special-teams work. But he looked the part of a starting safety throughout the day, splitting time with veteran Will Allen working alongside sure-thing starter Barry Church.

*I noticed the Cowboys working on a little Pistol wrinkle. This is not meant as a read-option play, but rather to help the running back - lined up directly behind the QB, who is three yards back rather than seven yards back as in the Shotgun -- with pass-blocking angles.

*Danny McCray, God love him and his special-teams mastery, still can barely backpedal at NFL DB-level.

*DeMarco Murray tells me that him sitting out (hamstring) is "very minor and precautionary.'' In our conversation, we discussed his recent participation in the team's baseball and golf outings. 'I had to support the good causes,' he says.

*Coach Jason Garrett wont give in to announcing the Cowboys' playcalling decision. My position is as always: It'll be offensive coordinator Bill Callahan doing so under Garrett's supervision. (And in fact, I think that's exactly how it's working right now at OTAs.)

*This is a loud assistant-coaching staff. And in the case of WR coach Dooley, a profane one. The neighbors in Valley Ranch might end up wanting to wash Dooley's mouth out with soap, if not for the fact that this is football.

*JJ Wilcox is a safety with wide receiver skills and a linebacker body and he made the defensive play of the day Tuesday with an interception that showed off that athleticism.

*A source tells me that Romo's month-long rehab length suggests a 'deep-tissue or near-spine' cyst. It's still benign, but more troublesome than your "I-had-a-cyst-on-my-hand-and-was-back-to-work-in-a-day'' surgery.

*Dez Bryant on maturity: "I found myself,'' he says.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Carter Will Thrive In 4-3; WR Williams Catching On

Posted 1 hour ago

Some more thoughts from the Cowboys OTA practice at Valley Ranch:

•Travis Frederick is getting a real taste what it is like to block a linebacker that is one of the best reactionary players in the league. Sean Lee is making life difficult for Frederick who as soon as he snaps the ball and takes his first step play side, he is already two steps behind Lee who is moving very well coming off the toe injury. I feel it’s a good thing for Frederick to have to deal with Lee when he is in there because if you can get your head across to block him, then you can block the majority of the Mike linebackers in the league. It’s really amazing to watch Lee when the ball is snapped because there is no wasted movement or motions to the ball. He has an unreal ability to find creases or gaps when the line starts their zone blocks and he is in the backfield for a tackle for loss. There appears no ill effects from the injury of last season.
•I believe this 4-3 defense will make Bruce Carter a star in this league. It’s a perfect fit for his ability to make plays from the backside. Like Lee you see a player that once he sees what is happening to him scheme wise, he is gone to the ball. Where Carter is going to surprise people will be his ability to rush off the edge and cause problems. Where these defensive coaches are going to take advantage of Carter is rushing him with either Ware and Spencer. There have been times where Carter has been a terrible matchup for a back to have to deal with because of his size and power but also he has shown some wiggle to avoid the blocks. In clear air, Carter has really been impressive because of his high closing rate on the quarterback. He is going to be a problem for offenses off the edge on several fronts.
•I really believe that Terrence Williams is going to have to have a great training camp to beat Dwayne Harris out of a job for this third receiver spot. I know there is going to be a competition for the spot but these offensive coaches really like to use Miles Austin in the slot and Dez Bryant opposite on the outside so that leaves the receiver next to Austin and right now, I believe that guy appears to be Harris. I honestly believe that Harris along with Bryant has made the biggest jump as a receiver in the terms of route running and catching the ball. We all have seen what he does in the open field with the ball in his hands on punt returns and the feel he has for reading blocks plus pound for pound he is the best blocking receiver they have on this squad. I do not see Harris’ height as a limitation to him because I feel like he turns that into a strength for him. Williams is a talented player but he really is going to have to fight to win that job.
•When the front office activated defensive tackle Robert Callaway off the practice squad, I wrote a report on DallasCowboys.com of his ability from the pre-season work with the Detroit Lions in 2011. Callaway saw action in two games last season against the Bengals and Steelers but didn’t record any stats. I remember seeing some positive work from Callaway in those games in Detroit and I really believed that he actually might help this defense that was really banged up inside and was also struggling with the Josh Brent situation but that wasn’t the case at all. He looked overmatched at the nose and I really questioned myself what I saw in his work. Now fast forward to this OTA, Callaway looks in much better physical condition and he is playing with much better power at the point. Since the coaches have been cautious with Ratliff and his reps, Hatcher has been playing the three and Callaway the one with really nice effort and his ability to get some push. He has took on blockers which has allowed Hatcher to deal with more one-on-one blocks and it has led to some inside pressure. With Brian Price out of the picture, someone was going to have to step up and help with this one technique and it looks like very early that Callaway is trying to be that guy.
•Of the down the line offensive linemen that is trying to work his way into the mix is Kevin Kowalski who has yet to line up at center but when taking the majority of the reps at right guard. We all tend to forget that some of Kowalski’s finest moments as a Cowboy has been against quality competition like the 49ers and Giants. Where Kowalski has stepped up in this zone scheme is in the way he moves to position himself as a blocker in the running game by working his head across his man and securing his block. He has also been a difficult guy to drive back when the team has thrown the ball. He has been square with a nice base and moving along the line without struggling at all. There have been plenty of plays where I thought things would probably fall apart for his but he has been very steady.
•I said on our internet show “Talkin’ Cowboys” today that I believe that you will see Barry Church starting at one of the safety positions and then let the battle begin for the other spot. It appears that Matt Johnson, Will Allen, Danny McCray, J.J. Wilcox and Jakar Hamilton are all in the mix. Allen has the experience and he has the confidence of the coaches as a special teams player. McCray has been getting work but he too is a special teams player and that will most likely be his role which really leaves Johnson and the two rookies but to be honest, Johnson is like a rookie too but he is getting plenty of reps. The coaches have been working Church with different combinations of Allen and Johnson but I have not seen Wilcox get a shot with him. I have got an early feeling that they are bringing Wilcox along slowly allowing him to learn what is going on, looking for an opportunity to cut him loose with Church and see how that pairing works. I plan to continue to keep an eye on how these coaches play him until we get to Oxnard.

Cotton

Staff member
Nice formatting.

Cotton

Staff member
Nope.

Cotton

Staff member

Posted 2 hours ago

Bryan BroaddusFootball Analyst/ScoutFollow BryanBroaddus on Twitter All Bryan Broaddus Articles

Some more thoughts from the Cowboys OTA practice at Valley Ranch:

• Travis Frederick is getting a real taste what it is like to block a linebacker that is one of the best reactionary players in the league. Sean Lee is making life difficult for Frederick who as soon as he snaps the ball and takes his first step play side, he is already two steps behind Lee who is moving very well coming off the toe injury. I feel it’s a good thing for Frederick to have to deal with Lee when he is in there because if you can get your head across to block him, then you can block the majority of the Mike linebackers in the league. It’s really amazing to watch Lee when the ball is snapped because there is no wasted movement or motions to the ball. He has an unreal ability to find creases or gaps when the line starts their zone blocks and he is in the backfield for a tackle for loss. There appears no ill effects from the injury of last season.

• I believe this 4-3 defense will make Bruce Carter a star in this league. It’s a perfect fit for his ability to make plays from the backside. Like Lee you see a player that once he sees what is happening to him scheme wise, he is gone to the ball. Where Carter is going to surprise people will be his ability to rush off the edge and cause problems. Where these defensive coaches are going to take advantage of Carter is rushing him with either Ware and Spencer. There have been times where Carter has been a terrible matchup for a back to have to deal with because of his size and power but also he has shown some wiggle to avoid the blocks. In clear air, Carter has really been impressive because of his high closing rate on the quarterback. He is going to be a problem for offenses off the edge on several fronts.

• I really believe that Terrence Williams is going to have to have a great training camp to beatDwayne Harris out of a job for this third receiver spot. I know there is going to be a competition for the spot but these offensive coaches really like to use Miles Austin in the slot andDez Bryant opposite on the outside so that leaves the receiver next to Austin and right now, I believe that guy appears to be Harris. I honestly believe that Harris along with Bryant has made the biggest jump as a receiver in the terms of route running and catching the ball. We all have seen what he does in the open field with the ball in his hands on punt returns and the feel he has for reading blocks plus pound for pound he is the best blocking receiver they have on this squad. I do not see Harris’ height as a limitation to him because I feel like he turns that into a strength for him. Williams is a talented player but he really is going to have to fight to win that job.

• When the front office activated defensive tackle Robert Callaway off the practice squad, I wrote a report on DallasCowboys.com of his ability from the pre-season work with the Detroit Lions in 2011. Callaway saw action in two games last season against the Bengals and Steelers but didn’t record any stats. I remember seeing some positive work from Callaway in those games in Detroit and I really believed that he actually might help this defense that was really banged up inside and was also struggling with the Josh Brent situation but that wasn’t the case at all. He looked overmatched at the nose and I really questioned myself what I saw in his work. Now fast forward to this OTA, Callaway looks in much better physical condition and he is playing with much better power at the point. Since the coaches have been cautious with Ratliff and his reps, Hatcher has been playing the three and Callaway the one with really nice effort and his ability to get some push. He has took on blockers which has allowed Hatcher to deal with more one-on-one blocks and it has led to some inside pressure. With Brian Price out of the picture, someone was going to have to step up and help with this one technique and it looks like very early that Callaway is trying to be that guy.

• Of the down the line offensive linemen that is trying to work his way into the mix isKevin Kowalski who has yet to line up at center but when taking the majority of the reps at right guard. We all tend to forget that some of Kowalski’s finest moments as a Cowboy has been against quality competition like the 49ers and Giants. Where Kowalski has stepped up in this zone scheme is in the way he moves to position himself as a blocker in the running game by working his head across his man and securing his block. He has also been a difficult guy to drive back when the team has thrown the ball. He has been square with a nice base and moving along the line without struggling at all. There have been plenty of plays where I thought things would probably fall apart for his but he has been very steady.

• I said on our internet show “Talkin’ Cowboys” today that I believe that you will seeBarry Church starting at one of the safety positions and then let the battle begin for the other spot. It appears that Matt Johnson, Will Allen, Danny McCray, J.J. Wilcox andJakar Hamilton are all in the mix. Allen has the experience and he has the confidence of the coaches as a special teams player. McCray has been getting work but he too is a special teams player and that will most likely be his role which really leaves Johnson and the two rookies but to be honest, Johnson is like a rookie too but he is getting plenty of reps. The coaches have been working Church with different combinations of Allen and Johnson but I have not seen Wilcox get a shot with him. I have got an early feeling that they are bringing Wilcox along slowly allowing him to learn what is going on, looking for an opportunity to cut him loose with Church and see how that pairing works. I plan to continue to keep an eye on how these coaches play him until we get to Oxnard.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
First time I have ever seen a repost simply because some bitch didn't like the formatting.

dallen

Senior Tech
  • First
  • time
  • I
  • have
  • ever
  • seen
  • a
  • repost
  • simply
  • because