QB Is Not An Option, Your Pick

QB Is Not An Option, Your Pick

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd be much more comfortable with another pass rusher, and it's obvious hardy won't be back. But the more I learn about Bosa the less I like him. That said, if the premise is that Tunsil, Goff, and Wentz are all gone and you can't trade down, I'd probably still take Bosa.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Guys who never miss a game are a significant injury concern. Makes sense.

Again I wouldn't be concerned if it was just any other body part. Seen too many backs give out on people to not know it's a concern whatever they do. Besides he is just one DE. What if the other two don't pan out? The point I was making before this nonsense is that there are question marks and players leaving due to being crappy or unhappy.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'd take Zeke because he seems to be the safest choice, everyone wants to hit a HR with the 4th pick overall, but Zeke is like a solid stand up double.
Not sure you're going to get at least that with any of the others...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The point I was making before this nonsense is that there are question marks and players leaving due to being crappy or unhappy.
I picked Bosa so it's not like I would overlook DE. I'm just saying we actually have some potential at the position this year. We actually have been building some young talent there.

DT is an absolute mess though.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I picked Bosa so it's not like I would overlook DE. I'm just saying we actually have some potential at the position this year. We actually have been building some young talent there.

DT is an absolute mess though.
Well you know I've been pulling for Andrew Billings for awhile now.

Jiggyfly

Banned
After watching the Combine I think I am off the Bosa wagon.

I think I am on the fence between Jack and Buckner, leaning toward Buckner.

I really like Jack because of his versatility but he would have to be able to play some mike which is a question.

I really like Buckner for the same reason but I don't think there are questions about where he could play, he would be a very good SDE and a terror on the inside on passing downs.

I am starting to see the Seymour comparisons.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
After watching the Combine I think I am off the Bosa wagon.

I think I am on the fence between Jack and Buckner, leaning toward Buckner.

I really like Jack because of his versatility but he would have to be able to play some mike which is a question.

I really like Buckner for the same reason but I don't think there are questions about where he could play, he would be a very good SDE and a terror on the inside on passing downs.

I am starting to see the Seymour comparisons.
What did Buckner do to stand out above Bosa at the Combine?

Weigh in 2 inches and 20 lbs heavier, which we already knew?

I'd be fine with Buckner but the Combine doesn't change my opinion in comparison to Bosa, I also think Buckner would fit better inside full-time and only playing outside maybe 10 or so snaps a game, or depending on the opponent (i.e., against a run-heavy team like Carolina). I don't think he has enough juice off the edge to play there 30+ snaps a game rushing the passer.

He's basically a 3-4 DE, although there isn't a huge difference between a 3-4 DE and what we ask our DT's to do, and I think a guy with his size and length but limited explosiveness and bend would fit better inside next to Crawford. I realize he can win on the edge at times but I don't see him being able to do it enough to play substantial snaps there.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I voted for Bosa but I would not be upset with Buckner, Jack or Elliott. I really like Elliott and think he could work wonders for our offense but it is really difficult for me to advocate drafting a guy in the top 5 who likely never sees a 2nd contract in Dallas.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What did Buckner do to stand out above Bosa at the Combine?

Weigh in 2 inches and 20 lbs heavier, which we already knew?

I'd be fine with Buckner but the Combine doesn't change my opinion in comparison to Bosa, I also think Buckner would fit better inside full-time and only playing outside maybe 10 or so snaps a game, or depending on the opponent (i.e., against a run-heavy team like Carolina). I don't think he has enough juice off the edge to play there 30+ snaps a game rushing the passer.

He's basically a 3-4 DE, although there isn't a huge difference between a 3-4 DE and what we ask our DT's to do, and I think a guy with his size and length but limited explosiveness and bend would fit better inside next to Crawford. I realize he can win on the edge at times but I don't see him being able to do it enough to play substantial snaps there.
Bruckner looked more more fluid and at 20 more pounds it was more impressive than Bosa.

Bosa looked a little stiff and his 40 was disappointing at that weight, I will say he did look surprisingly good doing the hybrid drills.

I just think Bruckner could be a force at multiple spots along the line and not a liability anywhere.

Bruckner was one of the most flexible DT's there, they were commenting how freakish he was doing the flexibility drills, he put his head on the floor from a sitting position.

I don't think he is just a 3/4 end anymore I think he could be a good SDE and a great nickel inside rusher.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Buckner moved like he weighs 170 lbs. His change of direction during some of the drills was just shy of phenomenal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bruckner looked more more fluid and at 20 more pounds it was more impressive than Bosa.

Bosa looked a little stiff and his 40 was disappointing at that weight, I will say he did look surprisingly good doing the hybrid drills.

I just think Bruckner could be a force at multiple spots along the line and not a liability anywhere.

Bruckner was one of the most flexible DT's there, they were commenting how freakish he was doing the flexibility drills, he put his head on the floor from a sitting position.

I don't think he is just a 3/4 end anymore I think he could be a good SDE and a great nickel inside rusher.
Please tell me it's your phone using auto correct to call him Bruckner.

Oddly enough I sort of agree with you on Buckner though. Although I'd put him day one at the 3 technique spot. I wouldn't use him at SDE except in certain short down and distances. I've seen enough of him that I think he will abuse guards as a 3 technique and his height alone will drive QB's nuts.

dallen

Senior Tech
You could pretty much say we are drafting for need no matter unless we take a olineman or a FG kicker. If I can't have a QB, then give me the top dlineman. Right now that is Bosa.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I voted for Bosa, but there is merit to the Zeke suggestion. Him behind this line could be a recipe for literally grinding teams into dust. It's the 2014 offense. Shorten the game, move the chains, hit play action, limit the need for Romo to save the day, and let the defense play with a lead. Be dominant on one side of the ball, have a clutch kicker, and hope mediocre on the other side will be good enough.

Looking at our defense (and its prospects for improvement), I'm not sure we can hope for better.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I just really started watching Buckner on top and there is a lot to like here. I think i'd prefer him over Bosa at this point and could go back and forth between him and Myles Jack.

Let me ask this: Although somewhat different players size wise, how does he compare to Leonard Williams last year? Is Williams the obviously better player or does Buckner have a higher ceiling?

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
this guys motor is absolutely no joke. He's just tossing lineman around

Jiggyfly

Banned
I just really started watching Buckner on top and there is a lot to like here. I think i'd prefer him over Bosa at this point and could go back and forth between him and Myles Jack.

Let me ask this: Although somewhat different players size wise, how does he compare to Leonard Williams last year? Is Williams the obviously better player or does Buckner have a higher ceiling?
I think Williams was the higher rated prospect and I think he has a higher ceiling.

Buckner is a bit of a late bloomer, while Williams had done it over multiple years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Williams was the higher rated prospect and I think he has a higher ceiling.

Buckner is a bit of a late bloomer, while Williams had done it over multiple years.
Yeah Williams did it over a 3 year span. On the other hand Bucker was probably more dominant as a junior than Williams ever was in a single season. It's your standard one year wonder question with Buckner.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've always thought Bosa was kind of a meathead/bro douchebag type but seeing his demeanor in the interviews (especially when compared to a guy like Buckner), along with the tweets earlier mocking working class people is starting to bother me a bit. Combine that with a little bit of an underwhelming 40 and I'm starting to cool a little on him, he's still clearly right there as one of my top non-QB choices but I'm not as adamant as I was maybe a month or two ago.

As far as Buckner vs. Williams, I think Williams was a bit more explosive and a little more refined with his technique, Buckner doesn't have as much of a track record but I like his height, frame and power/hands more.

Top Bottom