30 for 30

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We used to have this thread and I figured this would be appropriate for the Elway to Marino film from tonight.

Anyone else catch it? It was excellent.

A lot of great stuff no one knew about until now was revealed. From the league blocking the Raiders from acquiring Elway (I guess Al Davis was right about the league always having it out for the Raiders). To Bill Walsh actually entertaining the thought of trade Montana. The Cowboys close to acquiring Elway had they just been able to negotiate with Irsay instead of Frank Kush.

Funny how Jim Kelly had no desire at all to go to Buffalo and now there's no place on earth the guy would rather live.

It's easy to forget that ESPN is capable of producing excellent stuff like this after watching their awful content like First Take or their goofy segments on NFL Sunday, but when they really want to, they can put together some great content.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We used to have this thread and I figured this would be appropriate for the Elway to Marino film from tonight.

Anyone else catch it? It was excellent.

A lot of great stuff no one knew about until now was revealed. From the league blocking the Raiders from acquiring Elway (I guess Al Davis was right about the league always having it out for the Raiders). To Bill Walsh actually entertaining the thought of trade Montana. The Cowboys close to acquiring Elway had they just been able to negotiate with Irsay instead of Frank Kush.

Funny how Jim Kelly had no desire at all to go to Buffalo and now there's no place on earth the guy would rather live.

It's easy to forget that ESPN is capable of producing excellent stuff like this after watching their awful content like First Take or their goofy segments on NFL Sunday, but when they really want to, they can put together some great content.
I thought this looked stupid until I started watching it and I must say I got hooked. It was really good. Pretty interesting seeing how some of the GM really had no authority while in other situations head coaches basically had no say in what was going on in the draft room. Whole thing got me pretty pumped for the up coming draft.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I thought this looked stupid until I started watching it and I must say I got hooked. It was really good. Pretty interesting seeing how some of the GM really had no authority while in other situations head coaches basically had no say in what was going on in the draft room. Whole thing got me pretty pumped for the up coming draft.
Yea, I found that really interesting too.

If a Jerry Jones type ran the Steelers, Knox would have never been able to pick the player he wanted. Rooney wanted Marino, but he let his coach pick his guys and he went with Rivera.

He certainly picked wrong there. And it's crazy how Irsay pretty much just disregarded Accorsi throughout that entire process.

Carl

RIP Brother
Very interesting show. I know that prior to 2000, the Raiders have only given a perfect grade to two players. John Elway and Bo Jackson. Al always thought the league sabotaged his deal for Elway because of the lawsuit.

Carl

RIP Brother
And, Elway is my favorite QB ever, but he does not come across in any sort of favorable light in this show.

Last edited:

Carl

RIP Brother
even today, I would take the Qb's as follows; Elway, Kelly, Marino, O'Brien, Eason, Blackledge.

Carl

RIP Brother
There is a new 30-30 on next week; "Slaying the Badger". I just finished reading the book about this. Even if you aren't a fan of cycling and the Tour De France, I think this one might well be worth a watch. Bernard Hinault is one mean SOB.

Top Bottom