Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know that I have ever been more pissed watching the Cowboys as I was watching those two games. By the end of the second game I was almost numb.
There is nothing more frustrating then watching a QB who can't complete a pass beyond 5 yards with any regularity. Especially when you're coming from Romo who completes like 70% of his passes and averages over 8 yards an attempt.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The 1990 season watching the Babe Laufenberg shitshow was it for me.
Yeah, that was pretty bad, too. His lollipop throws that went 5 yards over the heads of the receivers were pretty difficult to watch.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And now we are boarding the Weeden train.
I view it as the Garrett-Linehan-Marinelli train. I see a team where guys unexpectedly but routinely step up. Did anyone think we'd be celebrating the disruptive prowess of Danny McCray and Byron Jones?

Talented or not, Marinelli has the DL playing lights out. Sean Lee is playing lights out. It's inspiring. I see a similar grit in an offense that is willing to win ugly. Joseph Randle knows he's not an impact back, but that doesn't stop him from getting whatever yards he can.

Maybe it's me homering out a bit, but I see this stretch of games as a chance to galvanize the team. Players who might not normally get as many opportunities are now truly encouraged to step up and make plays.

For example, I think Cowboys fans were panicking a whole lot more than Weeden was. He calmly went 7 for 7 and even showed a bit more zip on the Williams TD pass than we were seeing from Romo.

Count me as surprised, but it's fitting the culture of stepping up that started in 2014.

I'm actually trusting the coaches to focus their playbooks to the strengths of the players we have. It makes me think 5-3 is possible, like in 2010. Maybe even better.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I view it as the Garrett-Linehan-Marinelli train. I see a team where guys unexpectedly but routinely step up. Did anyone think we'd be celebrating the disruptive prowess of Danny McCray and Byron Jones?

Talented or not, Marinelli has the DL playing lights out. Sean Lee is playing lights out. It's inspiring. I see a similar grit in an offense that is willing to win ugly. Joseph Randle knows he's not an impact back, but that doesn't stop him from getting whatever yards he can.

Maybe it's me homering out a bit, but I see this stretch of games as a chance to galvanize the team. Players who might not normally get as many opportunities are now truly encouraged to step up and make plays.

For example, I think Cowboys fans were panicking a whole lot more than Weeden was. He calmly went 7 for 7 and even showed a bit more zip on the Williams TD pass than we were seeing from Romo.

Count me as surprised, but it's fitting the culture of stepping up that started in 2014.

I'm actually trusting the coaches to focus their playbooks to the strengths of the players we have. It makes me think 5-3 is possible, like in 2010. Maybe even better.
It was very encouraging to see the team never get rattled there were multiple chances after Romo got hurt for them to self destruct but they never looked rattled.

Even Weeden looked composed.

townsend

Banned
It was very encouraging to see the team never get rattled there were multiple chances after Romo got hurt for them to self destruct but they never looked rattled.

Even Weeden looked composed.
I'm really hoping continuity helped Weedon's game. This should be an easy offense to step into, and he has the necessary physical tools. 17 TDs and 13 INTs should be all we need for a playoff run.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Weeden seemed capable of coming off the first guy he looked at and throwing to one of the backs. In previous years he would have been chucking it at Williams on every play, staring him down like Bledsoe to Glenn.

townsend

Banned
Weeden seemed capable of coming off the first guy he looked at and throwing to one of the backs. In previous years he would have been chucking it at Williams on every play, staring him down like Bledsoe to Glenn.
in Bledsoe's defense, he never had this kind of offensive line. I'm pretty sure he would have made it through his progressions if he knew he could hold the ball a couple seconds longer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious to see what Weeden can do. At least his unknown intrigues me a little. I know he looks like a dope and all that stuff but if he has gotten better at the mental part of things he certainly has the physical part down already. It's the small stuff of reading a defense or looking off a safety that he has never been good at. It's hard to get good at those things while learning a playbook though. Now that he has been in a system for awhile and had the opportunity to learn from a real QB in Romo, maybe he will be better at some of that mental stuff.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm curious to see what Weeden can do. At least his unknown intrigues me a little. I know he looks like a dope and all that stuff but if he has gotten better at the mental part of things he certainly has the physical part down already. It's the small stuff of reading a defense or looking off a safety that he has never been good at. It's hard to get good at those things while learning a playbook though. Now that he has been in a system for awhile and had the opportunity to learn from a real QB in Romo, maybe he will be better at some of that mental stuff.
Yes but we dare not say he might have learned anything from the QB coach. :tippytoe

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I don't feel good about Weeden at all. I guess the hope is he has had more time in the system and maybe he's gotten better. But generally I think after a few years in the league players are what they are and will play to their history. I'm guessing Cassell takes over after a few weeks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't feel good about Weeden at all. I guess the hope is he has had more time in the system and maybe he's gotten better. But generally I think after a few years in the league players are what they are and will play to their history. I'm guessing Cassell takes over after a few weeks.
I think of Carson Palmer and how absolutely horrible he looked with the Raiders. Then you put him in a good system with a good offensive mind in Arizona and he looks like a very good QB again. Weeden has only played for us and the Browns. The Browns were an absolute dumpster fire changing coordinators and coaches every single year. I'm certainly not expecting a Carson Palmer type QB out of Weeden, just pointing out that a QB can look like garbage in the wrong situation and then suddenly look a lot better when he has moved.

He could just totally suck though. Because a shitty QB in a shitty situation is also going to look like shit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The reports essentially says that the OL is not doing as well this year in run blocking. I think some of us have already made that observation.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The Redskins offensiveline is sort of killing it with the run blocking so far too.
I saw a quote from Jeff Fisher where he basically said "it's Dallas all over again". I still hope Pollack can get them back to the level we saw last year but it does seem I wasn't giving Callahan enough credit

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

What now, haters?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

What now, haters?
I can go with that until he shows otherwise.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

What now, haters?
Wade Wilson is still alive? Looks like he has just been waiting in the wings to make you all eat crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom