The Home Improvement Thread

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Our house was built in 1920, but some dick added on to it back in the early 80s and did the work himself. This includes our backdoor and den, master bath and closet, and laundry room.

Before I can tear it all out, though, I've got to put in a new bathroom in the hallway since the master is the only bathroom on the first floor. Also have to relocate the water heater and laundry, but that's a battle for another day.

Right now trying to figure out how to fit in a shower tub, toilet, and sink into a 70" x 83" space.

I know we can make it work, but I might need some pro tips from those who've made it work.

Looking at you, 2233.

:lol Mr Sideways Shitter.

You will need to dump the shower tub and go with a corner stand up shower if you want a functional bathroom.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
:lol Mr Sideways Shitter.

You will need to dump the shower tub and go with a corner stand up shower if you want a functional bathroom.
I will make it work, even if I have to shit, shower, and shave sideways.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Why not have a shitter in the shower? is my new motto

2233boys

Not So New Member
Our house was built in 1920, but some dick added on to it back in the early 80s and did the work himself. This includes our backdoor and den, master bath and closet, and laundry room.

Before I can tear it all out, though, I've got to put in a new bathroom in the hallway since the master is the only bathroom on the first floor. Also have to relocate the water heater and laundry, but that's a battle for another day.

Right now trying to figure out how to fit in a shower tub, toilet, and sink into a 70" x 83" space.

I know we can make it work, but I might need some pro tips from those who've made it work.

Looking at you, 2233.
Give yourself shitter space. That is important.

Walk in showers work, don't let your wife, put all kinds of shit in the room.

data

Forbes #1
Dimming light bulbs are awesome. Changing the light switch to a dimming one is simpler than I thought.

data

Forbes #1
My buddy installed three powerful jet streams into the sidewall of his swimming pool. With jets pushing him back while he swims, gets a full workout while staying in place. it's better than a lap pool.

Never even heard of something like this, but it's awesome.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have a cement slab as a back patio, about 12x12 or so, covered by a roof, but not screened in.

If I want to expand my patio into the yard further, what's the best way to do it? Cheapest? Easiest? Can I do any of it myself?

Further complicating matters is that I have a sprinkler system and the sprinkler heads are in the area that I'd like to expand my patio to include.

Can I easily dig up an area and lay bricks? Should I pour another concrete slab? Should I just pay someone?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I have a cement slab as a back patio, about 12x12 or so, covered by a roof, but not screened in.

If I want to expand my patio into the yard further, what's the best way to do it? Cheapest? Easiest? Can I do any of it myself?

Further complicating matters is that I have a sprinkler system and the sprinkler heads are in the area that I'd like to expand my patio to include.

Can I easily dig up an area and lay bricks? Should I pour another concrete slab? Should I just pay someone?
You will have to move your irrigation if you on that being part of your patio. It's much easier to just pour a slab of concrete versus putting in pavers or bricks, but it is also more expensive. Although, I suppose to do the pavers/bricks correctly you would need sand hauled in to do the sub-layer, so it might be a wash cost-wise. Below is the process:

1. Till up ground of the area you want to pave
2. Remove about 3 inches of top soil
3. Level ground
4. Tamp (pack) area to ensure a solid base layer
5. Pour and level sand (about an inch worth)
6. Place pavers/bricks
7. Pour more sand/mortar to fill in the cracks between the stones
8. Water it in really well

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You will have to move your irrigation if you on that being part of your patio. It's much easier to just pour a slab of concrete versus putting in pavers or bricks, but it is also more expensive. Although, I suppose to do the pavers/bricks correctly you would need sand hauled in to do the sub-layer, so it might be a wash cost-wise. Below is the process:

1. Till up ground of the area you want to pave
2. Remove about 3 inches of top soil
3. Level ground
4. Tamp (pack) area to ensure a solid base layer
5. Pour and level sand (about an inch worth)
6. Place pavers/bricks
7. Pour more sand/mortar to fill in the cracks between the stones
8. Water it in really well
Is this something an inexperienced person could do in a weekend? A month?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Pick option 3.

Top Bottom