Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

~facepalm~
Those schedules are made out years ago.

D

Deuce

They can be tweaked at any time. They can drop/add games up to a deadline. Most P5 teams have done that to beef up their schedule for playoff eligibility. Baylor just chooses not to.

Rev

Staff member
They can be tweaked at any time. They can drop/add games up to a deadline. Most P5 teams have done that to beef up their schedule for playoff eligibility. Baylor just chooses not to.
You have to a willing partner to drop out of their commitments as well. The AD says he is addressing it and I believe that he is trying. It's laughable right now but if it still is after a few years then I will join in the disgust/laughing as well. Up until last year SOS didn't really carry that much weight and almost all teams did it.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
You're right but what about going forward.

Baylor has been on an upward trend since 2009 yet they don't play a decent Power 5 team (Utah) until 2023. They have Duke in 2017 so I guess that's an improvement by their standards. They probably scheduled Duke assuming they'd be the same 4-win a year team they've been since Spurrier left in the 80s.

I just don't think they're interested in scheduling nonconference games against quality Power 5 opponents, which is their prerogative. I just don't want to hear them crying when they're left outside the top 4 again.

Rev

Staff member
You're right but what about going forward.

Baylor has been on an upward trend since 2009 yet they don't play a decent Power 5 team (Utah) until 2023. They have Duke in 2017 so I guess that's an improvement by their standards. They probably scheduled Duke assuming they'd be the same 4-win a year team they've been since Spurrier left in the 80s.

I just don't think they're interested in scheduling nonconference games against quality Power 5 opponents, which is their prerogative. I just don't want to hear them crying when they're left outside the top 4 again.
Maybe not but I will give them a few years to see for sure. They have a radio spot on the Waco ESPN every week with the AD and he has talked about it. The hosts are pretty good at bringing it up as well as the callers so he isnt getting to skirt the issue. The results havent shown as of yet but Im just going to wait a bit before judgement.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This may be their thought process though. If they win all their games, they will be in even with a weak schedule. On the other hand even if they strengthen up their schedule they probably feel like they will be left out with 1 loss. So a team like Baylor may be inclined to go with the easy schedule knowing that they have to win all their games regardless.

D

Deuce

You have to a willing partner to drop out of their commitments as well. The AD says he is addressing it and I believe that he is trying. It's laughable right now but if it still is after a few years then I will join in the disgust/laughing as well. Up until last year SOS didn't really carry that much weight and almost all teams did it.
I don't buy the effort. Most of the small school teams are willing to take the payoff instead of the game. Had they had a home and home scheduled, than the school would try to keep the series cause the home gate would be good money. But body bag games? Just cut a check and move on.

From the standpoint of getting better teams, I'm sorry but I see high profile teams playing each other all over the place now. Hell, even if they want to play just mid-majors, at least pick good ones. SMU every year and this refusal to play non-conference games outside of Texas is pathetic.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This may be their thought process though. If they win all their games, they will be in even with a weak schedule. On the other hand even if they strengthen up their schedule they probably feel like they will be left out with 1 loss. So a team like Baylor may be inclined to go with the easy schedule knowing that they have to win all their games regardless.
I agree that this is probably their strategy.

1bigfan13

Staff member
New top 4.

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Iowa

Hopefully we get a chance to test my theory from last year. If Oklahoma beats OSU on Saturday I doubt they get punished for not playing a CCG. I think that was a convenient excuse to drop two programs (Baylor & TCU) who don't have much of a national following. I said last year that had that been OU and Texas one of the Big 12 teams would have made the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Jiggyfly

Banned
New top 4.

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Iowa

Hopefully we get a chance to test my theory from last year. If Oklahoma beats OSU on Saturday I doubt they get punished for not playing a CCG. I think that was a convenient excuse to drop two programs (Baylor & TCU) who don't have much of a national following. I said last year that had that been OU and Texas one of the Big 12 teams would have made the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Too bad this is where Stoops lays an egg.:lol

Actually I have no issue with Oklahoma I used to be a huge fan in the Switzer Big 8 days.

D

Deuce

I'm calling it now. UNC beats Clemson in CCG and both end up with 1 loss. UNC impresses committee and jumps into top 4. Clemson drops only to 4. OU shut out.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Too bad this is where Stoops lays an egg.:lol

Actually I have no issue with Oklahoma I used to be a huge fan in the Switzer Big 8 days.
Ayuh. This is where we usually come up short. He's been exposed in big bowl games lately.

If OU holds on to a playoff spot I'm hoping they get matched up with Clemson.

After Clemson embarrassed them last year I'm hoping they come out angry with a chip on their shoulder like they did against Baylor.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ayuh. This is where we usually come up short. He's been exposed in big bowl games lately.

If OU holds on to a playoff spot I'm hoping they get matched up with Clemson.

After Clemson embarrassed them last year I'm hoping they come out angry with a chip on their shoulder like they did against Baylor.
If the seeding stays the same they will get Bama.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm calling it now. UNC beats Clemson in CCG and both end up with 1 loss. UNC impresses committee and jumps into top 4. Clemson drops only to 4. OU shut out.
I was actually thinking UNC would upset Clemson, but I can't see them jumping into the playoffs unless some other things happen.

D

Deuce

I was actually thinking UNC would upset Clemson, but I can't see them jumping into the playoffs unless some other things happen.
No, they won't. I was just being sarcastic. Their one loss is worse than everyone else's, including OU.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see any way that this happens. As much as winning that CCG can propel you, I think a loss in that game basically sinks your entire season. Clemson could make an argument with it's resume compared to the other 1 loss teams but I think the proximity of the loss would kill them. Plus the ACC really isn't strong enough to be having 2 teams in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom