Machota - Jerry Jones: I 'scream in my pillow' being at, not in, Super Bowl

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: I 'scream in my pillow' being at, not in, Super Bowl; getting Romo a supporting cast is vital

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones and his son, executive vice president Stephen Jones, attended the NFL Honors awards over the weekend in San Francisco.

While on the red carpet, the two talked with CBS 11's Keith Russell about getting the Cowboys back to the Super Bowl and the areas they need to improve.

"It's inspirational," Jerry Jones said of being around the Super Bowl festivities. " It makes you want to just empty your bucket to get in here and have this kind of experience. We feel that way. It's deliberate.

"I hate it. I scream in my pillow when I go home at night when we're here. I want [the Dallas Cowboys] to be here so bad, but it's filling my bucket up so we can go."

While discussing where the Cowboys need to improve most, Stephen Jones mentioned backup quarterback and putting pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

Dallas was 1-11 when Tony Romo was sidelined with a broken collarbone. In terms of getting to the quarterback, the Cowboys ranked 25th with 31 sacks. The teams playing in the Super Bowl, Denver and Carolina, finished with 52 and 44 sacks, respectively.

"Candidly, I'm just counting on Tony to come back and have some of the greatest years, if not the best years, of his career," Jerry Jones said. "We want to make sure that we've got him the supporting cast. Defense, as Stephen said, is a big part of that. We tried to do it this year. We didn't get here. We'll keep trying to get it done. We got to be able to stop them."
---------------

Well, forget about that QB at 4, fellas.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have the weirdest boner right now after watching that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Bosa is there I'm almost sure he's the pick but if he isn't, I think there is a strong chance we take a QB. It's not a coincidence that Stephen continually mentions backup QB as a spot we need to improve at, it's pretty odd that a non-starting position is usually one of the first out of his mouth when asked where we need to improve. It's like he wants to condition the fans/media to accept that a QB at 4 is a need and not a luxury.

Of course if we do some dumb shit like sign Griffin that will be off the table, but we should have our answer in not too much longer. If we don't sign a reasonably young backup I think there is a strong chance we take a QB at 4.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Bosa is there I'm almost sure he's the pick but if he isn't, I think there is a strong chance we take a QB. It's not a coincidence that Stephen continually mentions backup QB as a spot we need to improve at, it's pretty odd that a non-starting position is usually one of the first out of his mouth when asked where we need to improve. It's like he wants to condition the fans/media to accept that a QB at 4 is a need and not a luxury.

Of course if we do some dumb shit like sign Griffin that will be off the table, but we should have our answer in not too much longer. If we don't sign a reasonably young backup I think there is a strong chance we take a QB at 4.
It can be just that simple.

And it will be that simple.

Griffin gets signed and these two fucktards consider it mission accomplished. On to the next worthless decision that they think gets this team closer to the [STRIKE]Super Bowl [/STRIKE] just making the tournament.

Sorry, Goof Son's opinions are pretty much like his father's as far as I am concerned. I don't consider him some intelligent voice of reason.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Jerry Jones: I 'scream in my pillow' being at, not in, Super Bowl
Whatever, old man.

You say one thing with your mouth but your actions tell a different story.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

townsend

Banned
It can be just that simple.

And it will be that simple.

Griffin gets signed and these two fucktards consider it mission accomplished. On to the next worthless decision that they think gets this team closer to the [STRIKE]Super Bowl [/STRIKE] just making the tournament.

Sorry, Goof Son's opinions are pretty much like his father's as far as I am concerned. I don't consider him some intelligent voice of reason.
I don't think we'll know Stephen's competence level until Jerry kicks it. As long as he's a pleasing his father, whatever vision he has wont ever come to fruition, since we're going to be a "win now" team as long as Jerry lives.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think we'll know Stephen's competence level until Jerry kicks it. As long as he's a pleasing his father, whatever vision he has wont ever come to fruition, since we're going to be a "win now" team as long as Jerry lives.
I already know he's about at a par in terms of football stupidity as his father.

If you listen closely to his comments about the team's direction and so on, he is no different.

There is a big difference with him being a "voice of reason" when it comes to finances and even towards drafting a guy like Manziel.

But his commentary on how the team is doing and what they need to do going forward, just as stupid as Deddy.

He's got the same idiot optimist gene, just a small bit more pragmatic and most of that is finance-driven. He is not the Wildcatter, but he is just as football dumb.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Stephen has certainly showed me quite a bit. Insisting on Martin over Manziel, how to value the RB position, and an emphasis on building the OL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stephen has certainly showed me quite a bit. Insisting on Martin over Manziel, how to value the RB position, and an emphasis on building the OL.
I agree and he doesn't come off as arrogant the way Jerry does. Stephen comes off as someone who won't be nearly as controlling as Jerry is.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We will see about the bolded part.

I don't see where he has valued it at all.

Murray was allowed to leave, we passed on RBs last year, we apparently are all in on effing McFadden this year.

I don't give him credit a damn thing right now. Martin over Manziel might be his big deal, but then again, if there were skeletons in Manziel's closet anything close to what we are seeing now, even that could have been a no-brainer talking his father out of his crush.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I agree and he doesn't come off as arrogant the way Jerry does. Stephen comes off as someone who won't be nearly as controlling as Jerry is.
Not as controlling is only half the issue.

Football dumb and "listening" to everyone and their dog and being the tie breaker is the issue.

Unless he comes out and says point blank he is hiring a GM, he remains in the same category as his father as far as I am concerned.

I have not seen overwhelming evidence he is going to be an extensive upgrade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have not seen overwhelming evidence he is going to be an extensive upgrade.
You won't get that until Jerry is out of the picture. But we have at least seen evidence that suggests he will be better at least to some degree.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You won't get that until Jerry is out of the picture. But we have at least seen evidence that suggests he will be better at least to some degree.
Unless he comes out and confirms, yes, I am hiring a GM, he is not that much different. Just as football stupid.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We will see about the bolded part.

I don't see where he has valued it at all.

Murray was allowed to leave, we passed on RBs last year, we apparently are all in on effing McFadden this year.

I don't give him credit a damn thing right now. Martin over Manziel might be his big deal, but then again, if there were skeletons in Manziel's closet anything close to what we are seeing now, even that could have been a no-brainer talking his father out of his crush.
Yeah, he hasn't shown he has valued the RB position at all.

Top Bottom