Barnwell: 5 Things the Cowboys must do....

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys

1. Cut Brandon Carr as a post-June 1 release. The Cowboys are perennially strapped for cap space, but they should have about $11 million or so available heading into the 2016 year before signing any of their unrestricted free agents, pending the official confirmation of the 2016 cap figure. (The estimate being used here for numbers throughout this series is a $154 million cap.) With less than $1 million in dead cap space for the first time seemingly since the beginning of the salary-cap era, the Cowboys don't need to squeeze their veteran contracts to create more wriggle room under the cap.
In the case of Carr, though, the Cowboys are stuck with a deal that's underwater. They've restructured his deal in years past to create cap room, but now Carr is a middling cornerback with a premium cap figure. Dallas would owe the 29-year-old Carr $13.8 million to stay on the team in 2016, and while the Cowboys would have been able to eliminate all but $2 million of that money if they hadn't restructured in years past, they would now owe Carr $7.4 million in dead money if they released him in the traditional fashion. As a post-June 1 release, though, Carr would cost only $4.7 million in cap space in 2016, with the remaining $2.7 million hitting the cap in 2017. Under any circumstance, it's money Dallas would be better off investing elsewhere.

2. Don't answer when the Eagles call about DeMarco Murray. A reunion between the Cowboys and their former star running back would make on-field sense for both sides. Murray was an ideal fit in Dallas' system, and while Chip Kelly is gone, the 2014 rushing leader might already be due for a change of scenery out of Philadelphia. (More on that in a minute.)
The problem is cost. The Cowboys would be on the hook for $7 million in guaranteed money this year and a minimum of $2 million (basically functioning as a buyout) with a maximum of $7.5 million in 2017. That's just not a smart investment for a running back like Murray; as talented as he is, 2014 sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of his ability to handle a heavy workload while staying healthy. Dallas can't afford to invest that much money in a running back.

3. Sign Alfred Morris instead. If the Cowboys do want to add a veteran running back from their division rivals, the 27-year-old Morris makes sense. Morris had far more success running in a zone-blocking scheme during offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's time in Washington, is a year younger than Murray, has less of an injury history and was far more consistent than his Dallas counterpart.
The numbers really aren't that much different, either; before both Morris and Murray struggled through frustrating 2015 campaigns, their three-year runs as starters produced roughly similar outputs. From 2012 to 2014, Murray carried the ball 770 times for 3,629 yards (4.7 yards per attempt) and scored 26 rushing touchdowns. Over that same time frame, Morris carried the ball 876 times for 3,962 yards (4.5 yards per attempt) with 28 rushing touchdowns. Murray might be the better player, but Morris will come cheaper.

4. Sign a backup quarterback who isn't Johnny Manziel. It will be tempting for owner Jerry Jones to go after the quarterback he coveted in the first round of the 2014 draft, but Manziel has shown little on the field to go with his abhorrent off-field behavior. Taking Zack Martin over Manziel was one of the best things the Cowboys have done over the past decade.
Dallas does need a backup quarterback, though, and after struggling through the Matt Cassel fiasco last year, it's clear that the team needs a passer who can at least vaguely emulate Tony Romo's athleticism, if not necessarily his effectiveness. Given Romo's propensity for injuries and advancing age, it's a place where the Cowboys genuinely need to invest a premium after years of getting by on the cheap. A deal for somebody like Drew Stanton or Tarvaris Jackson would be wise.

5. Add pass-rush help. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has made a career of turning anonymous edge rushers into superstars, but he needs bodies. Greg Hardy and rotation end Jeremy Mincey are both free agents, and after Hardy created noticeable locker room drama, it's unlikely he'll return. DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory will play meaningful roles, but the Cowboys need depth.
Dallas could try to hit the top of the market and go after Olivier Vernon or Mario Williams (assuming the latter is released), but lower-cost, higher-ceiling options make more sense. Somebody like Aldon Smith could be a fit. One fascinating option if he leaves his current team: Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.

2 is a given....3, 4, and 5 are terrible.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Morris might be ok. He could probably revive his career in Dallas behind this line.

But most of this appears like it was written by Joe fan. Like the trade with the Eagles bit. No one thinks that's realistically even a possibility. JPP and Aldon Smith are kind of jokes. Drew Stanton and Tavares Jackson are garbage.

Even his cap figures I believe are off.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't rember the exact numbers but i thought Stanton did ok as a backup in 2014.

Not down with the Morris signing he looks done.

I could get on board with JPP on a 1 year prove it type deal he looked better down the stretch for the Giants.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Morris might be ok. He could probably revive his career in Dallas behind this line.

But most of this appears like it was written by Joe fan. Like the trade with the Eagles bit. No one thinks that's realistically even a possibility. JPP and Aldon Smith are kind of jokes. Drew Stanton and Tavares Jackson are garbage.

Even his cap figures I believe are off.
Exactly. I guess I'd like to see Dallas draft a young RB, get away from the heap of "has beens" that would simply stall the pickup of dynamic RB out of the draft. There are a ton of good RB's picked in the later rounds every draft it seems. Maybe I'm missing something, or overstating it. not sure.

But Stanton and Jackson? WTF.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd want absolutely nothing to do with Morris.

Our issues when Romo is out are not solved by simply getting a better backup. Hell, we had one of the best backups when we had Orton and still couldn't win with him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. I guess I'd like to see Dallas draft a young RB, get away from the heap of "has beens" that would simply stall the pickup of dynamic RB out of the draft. There are a ton of good RB's picked in the later rounds every draft it seems. Maybe I'm missing something, or overstating it. not sure.
I'd have no issue drafting a RB in the fifth-seventh round of every draft. It's simple. These guys have short careers, can be found late in the draft and get hurt often. Why not keep a pipeline of young RBs coming through and then after 4 years let them move on to their next team. I'd rather just draft a guy like you say. We have a good insurance policy with McFadden so that if our rookie isn't some big hit, we still have a guy who just produced as a top 5 RB.

If we sign someone. I just want a reliable cheap veteran to fill out the roster. Someone you can trust to carry the ball in an emergency situation.

It's sort of how I feel about DT this offseason. I just want to draft one or two of them. I don't want to go out and sign free agents and then give us a reason to pass on the deepest DT class I have ever seen. Especially when the free agents would probably be seriously flawed players. I'd save my free agent bucks for DBs where I think we can actually get serious bang for our buck.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Morris might be ok.
We need to aim higher. Dude is not a factor in the passing game and his production has steadily dropped. Hard to go anywhere but down after his rookie year, but he's in a frigging free fall.

I'm not in a hurry to dump Carr. The damage from his idiotic contract has already been done. At this point it makes more sense to add years to his deal and reduce his salary.

I don't mind signing a guy like RG3 unless they draft a top prospect.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I agree about Carr. He's solid, just overpaid. I'd far rather keep him than Claiborne.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree about Carr. He's solid, just overpaid. I'd far rather keep him than Claiborne.
He is like our fourth highest paid player. That's my only real problem. Especially when he doesn't give us any more then a shit load of these middle teir free agent corners.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Uh, Alfred Morris would be a waste of time. Draft a back.

And the pass rush help? Give me a break with the JPP and especially Aldon Smith stuff. He is pretty much suspended until November.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He is like our fourth highest paid player. That's my only real problem. Especially when he doesn't give us any more then a shit load of these middle teir free agent corners.
So you add years to his deal and reduce his average cap number.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you add years to his deal and reduce his average cap number.
Or cut him and sign someone in free agency who gets you more then 0 ints a year. Carr didn't even rank in the top 30 corners last year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom