Coach Firing/Hiring Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In a heartbeat, but I can't imagine he won't find a DC job with like 7 positions open.
Could be, but he was just fired as a defensive coordinator and it's not like his defense last year was great for the Bucs. But I really like him as a DBs coach and he knows this system really well.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Coughlin to the Eagles would be interesting. A solid proven coach who is usually in playoff contention but his teams are up and down. Under him the Giants were rarely a dominant team earning home field or even a bye. Always on the verge of just getting in the playoffs or barely missing out, much like us. Only difference is with Eli and a pass rush they were able to make two improbable runs and win it all.

With the Eagles I can see him having a good pass rushing defense. Finding a QB capable of making the deep playoff run is another thing. But they are a team interested in a first round QB this year, but all three top prospects look to need some seasoning and probably won't be ready to step in right away and succeed.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerome Henderson is gone! Headed to Miami. Not sure if he is going as secondary coach or what. Don't really care. Just glad he is gone.
I wonder how much it was him as opposed to personnel and Dallas stank. He could be just a so-so coach or could be another Zimmer that'll be better away from the Cowboys. We were 5th in passing defense but couldn't come up with INT's. Hopefully the new DB coach will be an improvement and teach the DB's how to play the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how much it was him as opposed to personnel and Dallas stank. He could be just a so-so coach or could be another Zimmer that'll be better away from the Cowboys. We were 5th in passing defense but couldn't come up with INT's. Hopefully the new DB coach will be an improvement and teach the DB's how to play the ball.
That is a little deceiving though. Teams weren't really forced to pass a lot against us so the pass defense in terms of yards looks good. But look at the QB rating against us. We ranked down at like 20th in the league in pass defense in terms of QB rating against. The real top pass defenses like Carolina, KC, Seattle, Denver, Cincy and the Jets all had defensive passer rating in the 70's. To me that's the sign of an actually good pass defense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Coughlin to the Eagles would be interesting. A solid proven coach who is usually in playoff contention but his teams are up and down. Under him the Giants were rarely a dominant team earning home field or even a bye. Always on the verge of just getting in the playoffs or barely missing out, much like us. Only difference is with Eli and a pass rush they were able to make two improbable runs and win it all.

With the Eagles I can see him having a good pass rushing defense. Finding a QB capable of making the deep playoff run is another thing. But they are a team interested in a first round QB this year, but all three top prospects look to need some seasoning and probably won't be ready to step in right away and succeed.
Coughlins teams have been pretty much down for the past 6 years.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Whether he is a good coach or not he was never a Tampa 2 guy and he had no idea how to teach our players to play zone effectively. The reason the scheme is good in other places at generating turnovers is playing zone and facing the QB. We needed someone who knew the scheme as a DB coach from day one, not Fat Rob's freaking leftovers.

I really doubt even that he's a very good coach though. It's not just the players not performing, it's their tendency to regress.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Coughlins teams have been pretty much down for the past 6 years.
And yet they still won a SB in that time. Like I said, they're almost always just on the verge of barely making or missing the playoffs. The key is when Eli and the pass rush both hit their stride at the same time.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
And yet they still won a SB in that time. Like I said, they're almost always just on the verge of barely making or missing the playoffs. The key is when Eli and the pass rush both hit their stride at the same time.
Anyone who wins with this at QB has to be pretty good

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not all that impressed with the Gase hire.

Especially when one of the first moves is to hire Henderson.

Just because he is a QB whisperer who supposedly "did something" for Manning (complete bullshit) and then coaxed a decent season out of Cutler, how is he going to be a good head coach?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jerome Henderson is gone! Headed to Miami. Not sure if he is going as secondary coach or what. Don't really care. Just glad he is gone.
Well, there you go. There's your coaching change. Maybe now you guys can get off of Jerry and Garrett's ass.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, there you go. There's your coaching change. Maybe now you guys can get off of Jerry and Garrett's ass.
You joke, but my guess is that is the only coaching change that happens.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You joke, but my guess is that is the only coaching change that happens.
Probably.

Unless we get really mean and decided to shake up the team to the core, and bully a quality control coach or something.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Probably.

Unless we get really mean and decided to shake up the team to the core, and bully a quality control coach or something.
And, what's sad is, we probably re-sign him if the Dolphins don't "steal" him away from us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Probably.

I wish we had a few bits of intel on coaches contracts. Jones said "several" were up. I assume now Henderson is one.

But there are others that we just don't know about.

Dear Lord Baby Jesus, or as our brothers in the South call you, He-sooz...Dear tiny Jesus, in your golden-fleece diapers, with your tiny, little, fat, balled-up fists...Lord baby Jesus, lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors...Dear eight-pound, six-ounce newborn infant Jesus, don’t even know a word yet, just a little infant and so cuddly, but still omnipotent...please let us get a real QB coach as we enter into this new era. Amen.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Anyone who wins with this at QB has to be pretty good
Yeah, he's a dufus most of the time, but he was nearly perfect in the two SB runs, especially in the SB games. He's a big reason they've missed the playoffs when they did, but Eli is a huge reason they won those two years when he got hot.

I'm envious. Eli did what we all hoped Romo would've surprised us with, getting hot a year or two in the postseason when it counted.

Top Bottom