Official Manziel To Dallas? Griffin To Dallas? Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
What tools does Griffin have? His mobility is gone. He can't function in the pocket. He can't read a defense. You are picking the tallest midget between these two. One might be an inch taller if you are splitting hairs.
Trust me, I agree. But this is more about comparing the two and about what manziel can't do than what Griffin can.

My quick cheat for QBs is to look at completion percentage and YPA. Manziel is I think 57 percent completion and mid sixes ypa. Griffin is mid 60s and mid 7s. It's not even close. Add the dedication questions with manziel and it is a no-brainer.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I think Manziel is much more coachable than Griffen and is much more of a team guy.

I also think Manziel would be more ok with being a backup for a couple of years.
Based upon what exactly? There doesn't seem to be any evidence at all of this and I don't expect that to change here especially with a pushover owner who wants him here.

The only thing that Manziel has proven is that he's a headcase that still doesn't get it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Trust me, I agree. But this is more about comparing the two and about what manziel can't do than what Griffin can.

My quick cheat for QBs is to look at completion percentage and YPA. Manziel is I think 57 percent completion and mid sixes ypa. Griffin is mid 60s and mid 7s. It's not even close. Add the dedication questions with manziel and it is a no-brainer.
Griffen had much better coaching and more weapons than Manziel.

You can't look at completion percentage in a vacuum, there are a lot of other variables.

dallen

Senior Tech
If we have to take one I'd rather have Manziel

Jiggyfly

Banned
Based upon what exactly? There doesn't seem to be any evidence at all of this and I don't expect that to change here especially with a pushover owner who wants him here.

The only thing that Manziel has proven is that he's a headcase that still doesn't get it.
I have followed him since college and have seen him grow as a player even this year you could see the difference.

There is plenty of evidence of him listening to coaches and learning, while Griffen wanted no parts of what coaches were telling him and regresed mightily.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If we have to take one I'd rather have Manziel
Same here. While there is no doubt Manziel is immature, I think he has the chance to grow up and improve. Griffin on the other hand, has got worse. In both attitude and production. I think he's so far gone in his belief that he's an untouchable, there will be no return. I don't think he'll ever be a decent starting QB.

That being said, I'd still rather draft a QB and let somebody else have Manziel.

Last edited:

BipolarFuk

Demoted
How about none of them?

We're really trying to pin future QB hopes on a drunken loser or a washout from the Slurs?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
How could they possibly think that? He hasn't even been released by the Browns yet. With a new coach coming in, who know what will happen with him?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones willing to take risk on a young quarterback currently on another team

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wouldn’t rule out adding a veteran backup currently on another team.

On his weekly radio show, Jones was asked about “young backup quarterbacks available this off-season who come with some risk.”

Speculation has former first-round quarterbacks Johnny Manziel and Robert Griffin III being available this off-season, and Jones long has had an infatuation with Manziel.

“Let’s just put it like this: We all would be aware that to bet on [Kellen] Moore for our backup quarterback has elements of risk to it,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan. “I’m not so sure that that’s any riskier than anything you would do with a decision in the future. On the other hand, what would enhance me taking risk is a big bigger upside. If that upside is there, that ol’ risk-reward situation, then yeah. This is as far as we’re going to go here now with this, because I don’t want to get involved in any type of tampering situation. We’d take some risk.”

Jones repeatedly has said the team will look at all avenues in an attempt to upgrade the position behind Tony Romo. They went 1-11 this season with three backup quarterbacks.

Manziel already has been linked with the Cowboys with Peter King of Sports Illustrated reporting this week that the Browns are done with Manziel, who “wants to go to Dallas.”

After yet another misadventure by Manziel over the weekend – going AWOL while reportedly partying in Las Vegas – the Browns are expected to move on from the former Heisman Trophy winner.

Jones nearly made Manziel a Cowboy during the 2014 draft. The Cowboys had the former Texas A&M star sixth on their draft board.

But Jones was talked out of it by others in the team’s war room, and the Cowboys selected guard Zack Martin with the 16th overall pick. Martin already twice has made the Pro Bowl.

Manziel, the 22nd choice in 2014, has made more headlines off the field than on in his two seasons in Cleveland. In eight starts, he has posted a 2-6 record with a 57 percent completion percentage, seven touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 74.4 rating. He ended both seasons with injuries and as a no-show for rehab.

Genghis Khan

Griffen had much better coaching and more weapons than Manziel.

You can't look at completion percentage in a vacuum, there are a lot of other variables.
There are other variables but it's part of the reason I didn't look at completion percentage in a vacuum but rather included ypa. That tells you if the qb is accurate but still getting the ball downfield. Those are the two fundamental things you want from a passer.

Genghis Khan

Agreed.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I guess Jerry envisions Manziel as a poor mans drunken version of Romo. He'll be in Dallas and we'll get ratings because it'll be entertaining watching the circus. Thats all Jerry cares about.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:lol this entire thread for this guy? He's not that good, people. I just do not understand all of this for a 5% chance that this guy will pan out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have seen nothing serious enough to indicate Griffin or Manzeil will even be invited to Dallas outside of speculation that Jones wanted Johnny during his draft. Nothing at all about Jones being interested in Griffin. I don't think it will happen for either of them but it's nice to jawbone about it until the draft comes around. It doesn't make sense to me if you want to improve the team to consider either.

dallen

Senior Tech
:lol this entire thread for this guy? He's not that good, people. I just do not understand all of this for a 5% chance that this guy will pan out.
If he ends up here I am blaming [MENTION=3]boozeman[/MENTION].

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have seen nothing serious enough to indicate Griffin or Manzeil will even be invited to Dallas outside of speculation that Jones wanted Johnny during his draft. Nothing at all about Jones being interested in Griffin. I don't think it will happen for either of them but it's nice to jawbone about it until the draft comes around. It doesn't make sense to me if you want to improve the team to consider either.
You must have missed Jerry gushing about RGKnee after the Thanksgiving game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If one or the other shakes loose, I think it is Bradie Bottle Lock time.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I guess you missed Jerry's interview talking about risk/reward and then stopping short due to 'tampering' issues. He's not openly mentioning Manziel or RGIII because both are under contract with other teams. But hearing him talk and knowing how he operates there's no doubt he is interested in bringing one of them here.

But I agree it makes no sense because neither has the potential upside Jerry mentions. The risk far outweighs any reward, but he loves these marquee names even if they have no production to back it up.

Top Bottom