Who do you take now?

Who do you take now?

• Total voters

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We are past the Combine now. We have seen interviews from Bosa and Jaylon Smith among others. We have seen great workouts from certain players at the Combine. Buckner, Robinson, Rankins, Ogbah, Bosa, Billings, Treadwell, Ramsey, etc. If we don't take a QB at 4, who do you take? No trades.

Sorry, I forgot a couple of players and had to delete the first poll.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is no good answer. In my book you either take a QB at four or trade down and pick up an extra second. The non-QB you get at 4 is the same caliber you get at 10-12 in my book.

Imagine trading down and selecting Spence, then with your two seconds nabbing Jarran Reid or Billings, then Darron Lee.

Talk about reworking your defense. That's a foundation right there.

I'd say consider trading down for Zeke but I'd rather get a back in free agency and then add defenders early if we're not taking a QB. I wouldn't mind a WR at the top of the second either.

Cotton

Staff member
There is no good answer. In my book you either take a QB at four or trade down and pick up an extra second. The non-QB you get at 4 is the same caliber you get at 10-12 in my book.

Imagine trading down and selecting Spence, then with your two seconds nabbing Jarran Reid or Billings, then Darron Lee.

Talk about reworking your defense. That's a foundation right there.

I'd say consider trading down for Zeke but I'd rather get a back in free agency and then add defenders early if we're not taking a QB. I wouldn't mind a WR at the top of the second either.
You will play by the rules, peckerface!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Same as it was before. The Combine just solidified things for me.

We aren't taking a QB other than Wentz, he'll be gone. Then give me the one player who can transform the team. Elliott puts us back to 2014 level on offense and keeps people from teeing off on Romo.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Which three players are off the board? Tunsil, Wentz and ?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd much rather take a third round RB personally. Again, I have no doubt Zeke would do well here. But I also won't be surprised if Zeke doesn't do much as a rookie when he gets drafted by the Saints or Colts or somebody.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Which three players are off the board? Tunsil, Wentz and ?
For the sake of the exercise, let's say someone trades up (SF) ahead of us and takes Goff.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For the sake of the exercise, let's say someone trades up (SF) ahead of us and takes Goff.
It wouldn't matter. I just get a feeling we don't care for Goff all that much.

Cotton

Staff member
It wouldn't matter. I just get a feeling we don't care for Goff all that much.
Hard to say. But, regardless, it has no bearing on this poll. BTW, picking "other" is gay unless you approximate a decent argument for it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to say. But, regardless, it has no bearing on this poll. BTW, picking "other" is gay unless you approximate a decent argument for it.
Sheldon Rankins is my other. He is higher ranked then Zeke according to some experts. So maybe you messed up by not making him an option...

Cotton

Staff member
Sheldon Rankins is my other. He is higher ranked then Zeke according to some experts. So maybe you messed up by not making him an option...
Fair enough. But, I think Rankins is a bit of a reach at 4. But, to be fair, one could argue half that list is a reach at 4. It just illustrates the dropoff from 4 to 12.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fair enough. But, I think Rankins is a bit of a reach at 4. But, to be fair, one could argue half that list is a reach at 4. It just illustrates the dropoff from 4 to 12.
Like I said, if Rankins is a reach then Elliot sure as hell is a reach at 4. I don't disagree that Rankins would be a reach at 4 by all projections but if I'm getting a 300 pound elite DT who is the 12th best player in this draft then so be it. He fills a massive need and may be a better fit for our defense then someone like Buckner.

Cotton

Staff member
Like I said, if Rankins is a reach then Elliot sure as hell is a reach at 4. I don't disagree that Rankins would be a reach at 4 by all projections but if I'm getting a 300 pound elite DT who is the 12th best player in this draft then so be it. He fills a massive need and may be a better fit for our defense then someone like Buckner.
Like I said, half the list could be argued a reach. Hence the poll.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like I said, half the list could be argued a reach. Hence the poll.
In Kipers last mock Rankins went 12th. Elliot went 24th. But I'd take either over a guy like Hargreaves who he has going 9th.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I wanted to say Elliott, but went with Buckner. I've been flip flopping so much between those two, I'm starting to feel like a politician. But my obsession with defense (specifically, d-line) won out this time.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I just think Zeke helps Tony stay upright, helps the offense by keeping the Ds honest and opening up the field for Dez and whomever, and helps the D by moving the chains.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just think Zeke helps Tony stay upright, helps the offense by keeping the Ds honest and opening up the field for Dez and whomever, and helps the D by moving the chains.
Can we move past this myth? Nothing will keep Tony upright. He gets hurt from standard hits. He plays behind the best pass blocking offensive line in football and still gets hurt. His last healthy season was 2012 when he threw the ball more 648 times (By far the most in his career in a season).

So I just don't by the myth that we will be able to keep Romo healthy by doing anything. His style of play is what it is and normal hits are causing him serious physical injury these days. He can't be protected no matter what we do.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
See, I realize you are correct about the normal hits thing, but where I disagree is that a RB that takes the ball out of hands and is a very good blocker and receiver that gives him a quick outlet like Emmitt did for Troy will prevent him from taking some, not all, but some of those hits. And just maybe the one that would have put him down.

Top Bottom