JJT: Randle turns attention back to his performance

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Randle turns attention back to his performance
November, 10, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

LONDON -- It has been a rough few weeks for Dallas Cowboys running back Joseph Randle, who was arrested for shoplifting last month.

A couple of weeks after the arrest, a video from the Frisco, Texas, police station was released that showed Randle making disparaging remarks about teammates Dez Bryant and Josh Brent, which led to Jason Witten admonishing him for a practice argument with Bryant.

Those incidents took attention away from his performance on the field, which had been good. Well, Randle put the attention back on his play after a terrific 40-yard touchdown run in a 31-17 run against Jacksonville.

He went off the left tackle, juked one defender about the 30, cut outside and ran through a couple of arm tackles until he lunged into the end zone.

"It was a nice safety, one safety back there, tried to do my job and make him miss. The receivers did a great job blocking," Randle said. "It was a team touchdown. I was just happy to get in the end zone for the first time this year."

More important, Randle's teammates seemed genuinely happy for him. DeMarco Murray gave him a chest bump. Others fist-bumped him, hugged him or slapped his helmet.

Even coach Jason Garrett grabbed his arm and gave him a couple of words of encouragement as he returned to the sideline.

"It was a family thing," he said. "Everybody supports everybody else through tough times and that's what it's all about.

Randle now has 21 carries for 209 yards, a 6.9 average per carry, and a touchdown. He has runs of 11, 11 14, 15, 38 and 40 this season.

"He has done a nice job trying to take advantage of the opportunities that he's been given all season," said Garrett, "but he probably made his best run of the season today."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Watching Murray bump Randle was interesting because of the stark contrast in their jersey colors. Murray's was brown and green with turf stains while Randle's was bright white.

He gets one fresh-legged big run per game, then vanishes again.

I couldn't believe Dallas kept Dez, Murray, and Romo on the field late in the game starting from deep in their own territory.

The entire 4th quarter needed to be Street, Randle, and Weeden.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There was not a thing special about his TD that a ton of other backs could have done.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
There was not a thing special about his TD that a ton of other backs could have done.
:lol

Maybe the first 20 or so yards, that hole was wide open. But the last 15 into the endzone was good running, regardless of how much it pains you to give him credit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol

Maybe the first 20 or so yards, that hole was wide open. But the last 15 into the endzone was good running, regardless of how much it pains you to give him credit.
Don't confuse the issue with facts. :art

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
give him more carries and he might get two.
In a single game? That's asking a lot. Each game after his one big run dude immediately turns into Troy Hambrick.

I've bolded his average after taking away his longest run:

VS. ARI 1 2 2.0 0.0 2
VS. HOU 2 4 2.0 2.0 2
VS. JAC 7 56 8.0 2.7 40
VS. NO 4 22 5.5 2.7 14
VS. NYG 2 7 3.5 3.0 4
VS. STL 2 9 4.5 2.0 7
VS. SEA 5 52 10.4 3.5 38
VS. TEN 3 26 8.7 7.5 11
VS. WAS 3 23 7.7 6.0 12

For the most part, I can see why he hasn't exactly earned the coaches' confidence.

I understand that many backs' average suffers when you remove their top run, but Randle is consistently average after breaking one run.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In a single game? That's asking a lot. Each game after his one big run dude immediately turns into Troy Hambrick.

VS. ARI 1 2 2.0 0.0 2
VS. HOU 2 4 2.0 2.0 2
VS. JAC 7 56 8.0 2.7 40
VS. NO 4 22 5.5 2.7 14
VS. NYG 2 7 3.5 3.0 4
VS. STL 2 9 4.5 2.0 7
VS. SEA 5 52 10.4 3.5 38
VS. TEN 3 26 8.7 7.5 11
VS. WAS 3 23 7.7 6.0 12

For the most part, I can see why he hasn't exactly earned the coaches' confidence.

I understand that many backs' average suffers when you remove their top run, but Randle is consistently average after breaking one run.
Selective statistics much? :art

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

VS. ARI 1 2 2.0 0.0 2
VS. HOU 2 4 2.0 2.0 2
VS. JAC 7 56 8.0 2.7 40
VS. NO 4 22 5.5 2.7 14
VS. NYG 2 7 3.5 3.0 4
VS. STL 2 9 4.5 2.0 7
VS. SEA 5 52 10.4 3.5 38
VS. TEN 3 26 8.7 7.5 11
VS. WAS 3 23 7.7 6.0 12

What does the deducted runs amount to as a whole? 20 percent? Take 20 percent of the longest runs out of any running backs stats and its likely you will get similar results.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

What does the deducted runs amount to as a whole? 20 percent? Take 20 percent of the longest runs out of any running backs stats and its likely you will get similar results.
I'm selecting the longest run, which in Randle's case is usually one of his first. I attribute this to his having fresh legs relative to the other players. After he settles down, the "burst" the articles mention is noticeably absent.

I'm not the only one who's noticed. The coaches aren't keen to giving him the football. I find it amazing that Murray was even in the game in the 4th quarter at all given the lead margin, yet there he was with Randle on the sidelines.

With this offensive line, Randle will always have a chance, but IMO it's clear this team can do better.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm selecting the longest run, which in Randle's case is usually one of his first. I attribute this to his having fresh legs relative to the other players. After he settles down, the "burst" the articles mention is noticeably absent.

I'm not the only one who's noticed. The coaches aren't keen to giving him the football. I find it amazing that Murray was even in the game in the 4th quarter at all given the lead margin, yet there he was with Randle on the sidelines.

With this offensive line, Randle will always have a chance, but IMO it's clear this team can do better.
I understand but he probably only gets 4 or 5 carries a game and deducting one run is reducing his stats by 20 to 25 percent
If that same system was used for all runners their averages would also be skewed fresh legs or no. This takes maybe 25 percent of his production away from the top end. Apply that to others and no one will look like much.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I understand but he probably only gets 4 or 5 carries a game and deducting one run is reducing his stats by 20 to 25 percent
If that same system was used for all runners their averages would also be skewed fresh legs or no. This takes maybe 25 percent of his production away from the top end. Apply that to others and no one will look like much.
I just don't find the lad finishing strong. I think he's gotten weaker as the game goes on, if anything.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I just don't find the lad finishing strong. I think he's gotten weaker as the game goes on, if anything.
How can he become weak with 4 to 6 carries a game and they are spread out over the entire game. Most runners don't find their game stride until maybe 8 to 10 carries. I am not touting Randle I am questioning how you are formulating his production. To me he hasn't been used enough to evaluate properly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thought that his legs are only fresh for one carry a game is ridiculous.

Top Bottom