Archer: At 7-3, Cowboys in position to make a run

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
At 7-3, Cowboys in position to make a run
November, 10, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

LONDON -- The Dallas Cowboys didn’t just need to win Sunday. They really needed to win Sunday. And they knew it.

With a loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Cowboys would have had their first three-game losing streak of the Jason Garrett era. They would have fallen to 6-4 and been in a freefall with four of their final six games on the road.

Now they enter their final six games with some cushion thanks to their 31-17 win against the Jaguars.

"I think for all of us, we’re coming off two tough losses, so we knew we had to get back on the winning side of things before the bye and get to 7-3," Jason Witten said. "Give ourselves a chance."

That is where they stand with six games to go. Depending on what happens tonight with the Philadelphia Eagles, the Cowboys will either remain a half-game behind the Eagles in the NFC East or move a half-game ahead.

Garrett was even able to briefly step out and take a 10-game view of the Cowboys while also thinking only of the Nov. 23 meeting against the New York Giants.

"For the most part, over the course of the first 10 weeks we feel good about the position we’re in," Garrett said. "But we talked to our team after the game, the only easy day was yesterday. Fortunately, there’s time for us to get healed up a little bit. We go back to Texas and get some guys back feeling 100 percent and get ready for the next challenge of beating New York in a couple of weeks."

Mostly Garrett lives in a day-to-day world, so he will not take a true big-picture view of what lies ahead for the Cowboys.

For a team that has had three straight 8-8 finishes and lost three straight winner-take-all season finales, the Cowboys are in position to be in position, just like in 2011, Garrett’s first year as the full-time coach. They were 7-4 after beating the Miami Dolphins on Thanksgiving, but lost four of their final five games and missed the playoffs.

Down the stretch, the Cowboys plays as many teams with six losses (Giants, Chicago Bears, Washington Redskins) as they do six wins (Philadelphia Eagles twice, Indianapolis Colts).

The only team with more wins in the NFC is the 8-1 Arizona Cardinals, and they lost quarterback Carson Palmer to a serious knee injury. The only other team in the conference with as many wins as the Cowboys is the Detroit Lions (7-2).

"You obviously want to have a chance to control your destiny and go out and do that," quarterback Tony Romo said. "And we have that ability, and guys have played hard and they put forth a lot of work and commitment to get to this point. And I’m proud that they have got ... themselves and ourselves in this position. But no one has won anything yet. It’s all in front of you. You got to take it and move forward and get better."

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Romo is reasonably healthy at all and we don't make the playoffs Garrett should be fired, no matter what else happens. We're 7-3 with a manageable schedule the rest of the way and of course Foles is out for the vast majority of the season, and almost certainly our 2 games against them.

The Giants will probably be 3-7 after they play the Niners next week and should be ready to give up, the Skins will probably be about 5-10 or 6-9 with nothing to play for in that last game and the Bears should be pretty much eliminated by the time we play them. Then of course we have the Colts, and that will be very tough but we can beat them at home.

Anyway, 10-6 and a wild card is the bare minimum to me, and we should win the division honestly.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
If Romo is reasonably healthy at all and we don't make the playoffs Garrett should be fired, no matter what else happens. We're 7-3 with a manageable schedule the rest of the way and of course Foles is out for the vast majority of the season, and almost certainly our 2 games against them.

The Giants will probably be 3-7 after they play the Niners next week and should be ready to give up, the Skins will probably be about 5-10 or 6-9 with nothing to play for in that last game and the Bears should be pretty much eliminated by the time we play them. Then of course we have the Colts, and that will be very tough but we can beat them at home.

Anyway, 10-6 and a wild card is the bare minimum to me, and we should win the division honestly.
Honestly, if this team is healthy after the bye, I would be disappointed if they don't go 4-2 or at worst 3-3 down the stretch.

I can see a loss to Philly, and another to the Colts. But I could honestly see them beating the Colts and losing to the Skins- again- at the end of the season.

No way should the Giants and Bears be a loss. Split with Philly...we get 1 win there because of how great Dallas plays on TG and the fact Sanchez sucks.. that leaves another game with Philly, Washington, and the Colts. Honestly, Dallas matches up better with the Colts than just about anyone else left on the schedule. Washington at home is a tossup, and the 2nd Philly game could go either way.

I see 4-2, which gives them a record of 11-5.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Healthy triplets are the key.

Dallas should be favored to defeat every other team on their schedule.

Dallas' toughest matchup is Indy, and they are a very one-dimensional team.

The Arizona loss just sucked, and if Dallas should face them again I do not fear a road game with a healthy Murray, Dez, and Romo.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

The Arizona loss just sucked, and if Dallas should face them again I do not fear a road game with a healthy Murray, Dez, and Romo.

Nothing jumps out at you superstar wise with Indy outside of Luck. If you can cover their WR's, Indy can be beat.

Philly and Washington both have WR's and RB's that can burn...something that has always given the Cowboys fits for some reason.

But yes, you are right...Romo, Bryant and Murray at 100% and rested along with the D being healthy gives this team a great shot at making noise in the playoffs.

I think to really do well on the road, Marinelli needs to create some sack opportunities...knock the QB's down, get in their faces. Run Murray and wear the opposing D down.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

The Washington loss was crippling. It should never have fucking happened.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Washington loss was crippling. It should never have fucking happened.
We just were completely and totally unprepared on offense. There is no reason we shouldn't have torched that defense if we were prepared in any shape or form. I get that the 7 man blitz worked repeatedly in that game but that stuff should almost never work when used over and over again like they did.

Sad thing is if we had done better handling those blitzes maybe Romo doesn't get hurt and Dallas is sitting at 9-1 right now instead of 7-3.

p1_

DCC 4Life
But yes, you are right...Romo, Bryant and Murray at 100% and rested along with the D being healthy gives this team a great shot at making noise in the playoffs.
I go one further. I think we need the whole oline to remain intact, because they have something really special going on with that unit. They are creating lanes that would fit Mack trucks, and give Romo
all the time in the world. I think we play differently vs both Wash and AZ if Leary and Free were both healthy.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I go one further. I think we need the whole oline to remain intact, because they have something really special going on with that unit. They are creating lanes that would fit Mack trucks, and give Romo
all the time in the world. I think we play differently vs both Wash and AZ if Leary and Free were both healthy.
I think we can handle losing one lineman, but not two. Free was out for the NY game and we managed to win that one.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think we can handle losing one lineman, but not two. Free was out for the NY game and we managed to win that one.
The OL depth has proved itself for the most part. Arizona must be blessed because they faced Dallas without Romo, Leary, or Free.

I would have a lot of confidence in a game at Arizona in the NFC playoffs with those same three players healthy.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The OL depth has proved itself for the most part. Arizona must be blessed because they faced Dallas without Romo, Leary, or Free.

I would have a lot of confidence in a game at Arizona in the NFC playoffs with those same three players healthy.
I hope that happens, seeing as Palmer is out of the picture now. I feel pretty confident the outcome would be different.

Top Bottom