Watkins: Second-guessing Tony Romo's contract

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Second-guessing Tony Romo's contract
June, 5, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

There is one thing we’ve learned from the Colin Kaepernick contract, worth $110 million with $61 million guaranteed: It protects the San Francisco 49ers, unlike the deal Tony Romo signed with the Dallas Cowboys.

From 2014-2018, Kaepernick’s base salaries are guaranteed only if he gets injured and can’t play that particular season.

However, on April 1 of each year, the guarantee moves from injury to fully guaranteed. So if the 49ers decide in March not to keep Kaepernick, they can let him go without any major cap hits.

This is a smart move for a franchise that appears to have found its quarterback of the future. If Kaepernick isn’t what the 49ers believe he is, then he’s gone and the huge salary-cap hits are minimized.

The Cowboys have no such insurance, if you will, regarding Romo.

When he signed his six-year, $108 million contract two years ago, it was filled with huge cap hits for the franchise.

Team executive vice president Stephen Jones has said the quarterback position takes up the bulk of the cap. At the time that Romo signed his deal, it was needed because the Cowboys didn’t have another player at his position ready to take over.

But with Romo now coming off back surgery -- he’s signed until 2019, when he’ll be 39 years old -- it raises some questions about the type of deal he signed.

Romo’s base salary is just $1 million in 2014 and his cap hit is only $11.7 million because it was a restructured deal.

In 2015, Romo will have the highest cap number for any quarterback in the league at $27.7 million. It’s in this season where the Cowboys will have to restructure his contract, yet again, to lower his cap figure.

Romo’s final year with the Cowboys might be in 2016 when he’s 36 and he could become a post-June 1 cut.

Of course, it’s easy to second-guess what the Cowboys have done with Romo’s contract. It was worth it at the time, and with his back issues of the last year, it raises questions about his health long term.

If we’ve learned anything this offseason, NFL teams are protecting themselves more than ever. The Cowboys have done this in contract deals with Sean Lee and Henry Melton.

Romo was a different situation. And now after seeing what the 49ers have done, maybe the contract should have been done differently.

hstour

Brand New Member
Second-guessing Tony Romo's contract
In 2015, Romo will have the highest cap number for any quarterback in the league at $27.7 million. It’s in this season where the Cowboys will have to restructure his contract, yet again, to lower his cap figure.
According to overthecap.com the current contracts for 2015 amount to $133,316,220 (Top 51). With the cap expected to grow again next year, why would they have to restructure.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
According to overthecap.com the current contracts for 2015 amount to $133,316,220 (Top 51). With the cap expected to grow again next year, why would they have to restructure.
They are still going to be relatively tight to the cap, even if it bumps up. It is not like they are going to have some windfall. The cap might go up $5-10 million, hell we have $5 million in dead money with Austin alone.

data

Forbes #1
When the cap goes up, it's not a $ for $ increase because salaries will go up, too.

If cap goes up $5M next year, Dez Bryant will try to get all of it.

junk

Not So New Member
Dez, Murray and Carter are all free agents. Not sure the last two are worth keeping or not

Moving on from Ware helped quite a bit but they'll be tight again next year.

If they could avoid restructuring Romo, that'd be great

hstour

Brand New Member
If you get Dez and/or Smith done during the 2014 season, then you could "flip the switch" converting base to bonus next year on one or both and yourself all the cap room you need. Still no need to restructure Romo. Watkins said they would HAVE to do it. Personally I don't want him restructured. It makes his release before the 2016 season an $8.5M bonus to available cap funds.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I was reading the other day that next Luck and Wilson are expected to sign deals in the 24-25 million per year range. Money for QBs is getting crazy.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Dez, Murray and Carter are all free agents. Not sure the last two are worth keeping or not

Moving on from Ware helped quite a bit but they'll be tight again next year.

Cutting Carr should clear up a little space.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Agreed, but hard to imagine they won't restructure just a little.

As long as they don't push forward anything more than 7 million the team should be fine. If they push out much more than that we'll be drowning in dead money when they finally cut Romo in 2016 or 2017.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I hate cutting guys without adequate replacements though. Right now, I wouldn't be comfortable with Claiborne and Scandrick as my starting corners.
If Claiborne bounces back and has a decent season I don't mind him as a starter, and Scandrick was our best CB last year. It remains to be seen if Black Weiner will be ready to compete for the nickel corner spot but a 3rd CB won't cost that much.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine cutting Carr if I was in charge because I wouldn't turn around and draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd, Lord knows if we actually do it Jerry will definitely spend a very high pick on the position right away.

I'd rather stick with Carr at his salary for another year than spend that high of a pick on a CB.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd be fine cutting Carr if I was in charge because I wouldn't turn around and draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd, Lord knows if we actually do it Jerry will definitely spend a very high pick on the position right away.

I'd rather stick with Carr at his salary for another year than spend that high of a pick on a CB.
Sad but true. I'd roll with Claiborne and Scandrick and be open to getting a mid round corner to compete for the nickel job.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I was reading the other day that next Luck and Wilson are expected to sign deals in the 24-25 million per year range. Money for QBs is getting crazy.
I know it's not a popular opinion but I think Andrew Luck is extremely overrated. I think he's a good young QB but people act as if he's the best thing to hit the league since a young Peyton Manning. I don't see it.

Again he's a good QB but I think people rate him too highly. And look at the number of INTs he's thrown in the post season. RG3, Kaepernick and other young QBs would get killed if they turned it over at that rate. But no one says anything about Luck since he's the chosen one.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I know it's not a popular opinion but I think Andrew Luck is extremely overrated. I think he's a good young QB but people act as if he's the best thing to hit the league since a young Peyton Manning. I don't see it.

Again he's a good QB but I think people rate him too highly. And look at the number of INTs he's thrown in the post season. RG3, Kaepernick and other young QBs would get killed if they turned it over at that rate. But no one says anything about Luck since he's the chosen one.
That's because he has by far the worst supporting cast.

I think he's overrated but I also think he's the best QB among his contemporaries.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I think that people forget that QBs take 3-5 years to really develop. That is a normal range for a good QB to become elite. IMO the jury is still out on his elite status.

hstour

Brand New Member
Wow, reasonable discourse. Are y'all sure this is an internet message board? :lol

I'd agree that Luck is the best of his contemporaries. But also that elite status has yet to be attained.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's because he has by far the worst supporting cast.

I think he's overrated but I also think he's the best QB among his contemporaries.
That team went from one of the least competitive teams in the NFL ever to the playoffs with him. People forget how absolutely horrendous that team was. The talent hasn't changed that much.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That team went from one of the least competitive teams in the NFL ever to the playoffs with him. People forget how absolutely horrendous that team was. The talent hasn't changed that much.
They seriously underachieved. Teams that end up 2-14 have a lot of give-up, and I think some of that came from upstairs intentionally tanking specifically to get Luck.

When we arrived, they reasserted themselves.

Top Bottom