Archer: For Lawrence, it starts with his hands

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For Lawrence, it starts with his hands
May, 20, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Demarcus Lawrence is considered a speed rusher by many, but the Dallas Cowboys can’t stop talking about the second-round pick's hands.

It’s not that they ever expect him to catch touchdown passes, but the strength in his hands allows him to control and direct blockers.

“He’s got 10-inch hands,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “Real heavy-handed. He's got some, as DeMarcus Ware called it, his club.”

Lawrence considers himself a technique junkie. He watches players over and over again to get tips. He did it with Ware. Combine his strong hands with good speed and awareness, and you can see why the Cowboys believed he was the third-best right defensive end in the draft behind Jadeveon Clowney and Anthony Barr.

“Really just technique and fundamentals, learning how to use your hands the proper way is a great key and fundamental to have in the game of football,” Lawrence said. “I feel like I’ve learned a lot on using my hands, and I feel like I can get better at using my hands”

Leon Lett, the assistant defensive line coach, knows about the importance of strong hands.

“We were working on a hand drill on the field and he grabbed my wrist. I was like, ‘Good grief, let me go. We’re going slow, three-quarter speed here,’” Lett said. “He has big, strong, powerful hands. That was the first thing I noticed about him. I mean, he’s just a hard worker. I like the way he works. I like the passion in his eyes and his approach right now. He came in ready to go.”

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
So, rather than talk about the actual abilities he has, we care more about his hand size? What the fuck is wrong with this team?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So, rather than talk about the actual abilities he has, we care more about his hand size? What the fuck is wrong with this team?
Nobody is saying the Seahawks are stupid for targeting Russell Wilson because he had big hands. There are a lot of things that go into the draft process, trying to project how much ceiling a guy has because of things like hand size and arm length is part of that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, this isn't the first time I have heard talk about heavy hands with a D-lineman. It is an important trait.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Leon Lett has to show everyone he's drinking the 1st round pick Kool-Aid and gush about some rookies' hands. Whatever happened to making the guy bring you water, earn his star, and not putting him into Canton yet?

Pretty soon we'll be hearing "Demarcus Lawrence is tearing up the camp"

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Leon Lett has to show everyone he's drinking the 1st round pick Kool-Aid and gush about some rookies' hands. Whatever happened to making the guy bring you water, earn his star, and not putting him into Canton yet?

Pretty soon we'll be hearing "Demarcus Lawrence is tearing up the camp"
Parcells isn't here. Part of being able to use those tricks is being a respected coach with skins on the wall. Garrett couldn't pull that off. The league doesn't allow the HC to silence assistants any more either.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Nobody is saying the Seahawks are stupid for targeting Russell Wilson because he had big hands. There are a lot of things that go into the draft process, trying to project how much ceiling a guy has because of things like hand size and arm length is part of that.
The Seahawks didn't target Russell because he has large hands. They targeted him because he was a very capable QB who happened to be short.

They also waited until the 3rd round and didn't trade up for him.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The Seahawks didn't target Russell because he has large hands. They targeted him because he was a very capable QB who happened to be short.

They also waited until the 3rd round and didn't trade up for him.
hand size was still part of the equation, they realized he didn't have the small hands that make a lot of other undersized QBs struggle.

hstour

Brand New Member
And let's not forget there has been one rookie OTA. The media is going to ask questions and there isn't a lot to talk about just yet.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
hand size was still part of the equation, they realized he didn't have the small hands that make a lot of other undersized QBs struggle.
And this has nothing to do with us trading up in the 2nd round for a player at a completely different position.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And this has nothing to do with us trading up in the 2nd round for a player at a completely different position.
You're being deliberately obtuse. Hand size and arm length are measurables that teams look at. At DE it's about being able to disengage with blockers, at OT it's about being able to engage quickly with a defensive player.

It's fine if you don't like the trade, it makes me nervous too, but the fact that we look at a variable in the player's body type that every other team looks at isn't an indictment of the scouting process.

Top Bottom