Hill: Cowboys still have hopes disappointing Claborne can be a top CB

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys still have hopes disappointing Claborne can be a top cornerback but time is running out

That Morris Claiborne has been a disappointment in two years with the Cowboys that no one on the staff tries to sugar coat things anymore.

He was billed as the best cornerback prospect since Hall of Famer Deion Sanders. The Cowboys thought so much of him they traded up in 2012 to take him with the sixth overall pick.

Claiborne has responded with two injury plagued seasons, featuring just two interceptions in 25 games played, while losing his starting job to former nickel cornerback Orlando Scandrick.

But while the Cowboys have been disappointed, secondary coach Jerome Henderson said no one in organization is ready to give up on Claiborne.

"Obviously when you draft a guy that high you want him to be your guy," Henderson said. "Again, we hope he becomes that guy. We hope he becomes that guy that when you look out there no matter what down it is he’s out there guarding somebody, locking him up. We still think that is who he is."

Henderson said Claiborne has worked this off season on getting stronger in hopes of staying healthy from beginning to end. That to the Cowboys is the first step in Claiborne finally reaching his potential.

"I just hope the kid can stay healthy the whole season that we all get to see the player he is," Henderson said. "Will he do that? Gosh, I hope so. I know he’s working his butt off now, he’s healthy now, he’s moving around well now, so I hope he stays at the level he’s at now and continues to get better from there. I hope this is the year he breaks through from that standpoint."

Claiborne badly needs a break through year as the Cowboys face difficult decision on him next off season when they must determine whether to pick up his fifth-year option. The current price for that is $10.1 million. It will likely go up with all the new contracts being signed by cornerbacks.

Claiborne's production and status as the third cornerback behind Scandrick and Brandon Carr has proven him worthy of that kind of continued investment.

"Scandrick is a really good NFL corner," Henderson said. "He’s a hell of a player. So it’s not like somebody, just some guy is playing in front of him. The guy playing in front of him is a really good NFL corner. Now he just happens to have the flexibility and he’s unique, he can go inside and play just as well inside as he does outside. It’s a luxury for us. But you drafted Mo to be a starting corner. You don’t spend a pick that high if you don’t think that, so we hope he develops and plays to that level."

Clarence Hill

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
How many corners have shown nothing their first two years, only to become everything their team thought they'd be?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hill couldn't even make it through the title without misspelling something.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm hoping he can become even a solid starter at this point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm hoping he can become even a solid starter at this point.
That is about all you can hope.

I just doubt he's mentally strong enough to take his job back from Scandrick. That's a pretty sad goal to look for.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
10 million dollars. :lol

I expect the Jer to sign that 5th year option. "We look for Morris to come around any day now, and play like the Deion Sanders we saw in him relative to his position being picked in the draft." :lipsmack:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Morris Claiborne aims to bulk up, improve
May, 19, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

While Brandon Carr is talking about taking over the league, Morris Claiborne is still trying to establish himself.

No top draft pick on this current Cowboys roster is under more pressure to perform to expectations than Claiborne.

He was the sixth overall pick of the 2012 draft and was supposed to become a top corner. The Cowboys moved from No. 14 overall to No. 6 in the first round with St. Louis and also gave up a second-round pick, which eventually went to Chicago.

Guess what the Bears did with that second-round pick? They drafted wide receiver Alshon Jeffery.

In two NFL seasons, Claiborne has just two interceptions and 14 pass breakups. He's started in 22 of 32 possible games and currently is the Cowboys' nickel corner.

There's nothing wrong with being the nickel corner, but when you're the sixth-overall selection of the draft and team officials say you have the skill set of Deion Sanders, somebody misevaluated Claiborne.

"Obviously when you're drafted that high you want him to be your guy, right, again we hope he becomes that guy," secondary coach Jerome Henderson said of Claiborne. “We hope he becomes that guy; that you look out there no matter what guy it is he’s out there guarding somebody, locking them up."

Henderson said he still believes in Claiborne. This offseason, Claiborne has worked harder to bulk up so he can deal with the physical play in the NFL.

The Cowboys want their corners to be aggressive, jam receivers at the line, and be ready to make good, strong open-field tackles. Claiborne battled numerous injuries in his first two seasons.

During last week's rookie minicamp, Claiborne emerged from the weight room and smiled at a few reporters to say hi. He looked bigger, but whether that translates to more plays on the field is uncertain.

Orlando Scandrick and Carr are the starters at corner. That’s not a bad thing considering both are solid players.

But the Cowboys are looking for more from Claiborne as he enters his third NFL season.

"We expect it out of all of them considering the year we had last year to our defense -- nobody made enough plays," Henderson said. "That’s on all of us not just [Claiborne]. When you look at our defense, we didn't perform at the level we needed to last year. So this year we got to go out and be better at every aspect of the game."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Claiborne's rookie season was fine. He kept getting injured his second season and that speaks to strength which was a knock against him before the 2012 draft.

When he returned healthy in 2013, particularly vs. the Eagles, he made an immediate difference.

That's what it comes done to for me with this guy. He must improve his conditioning so he can focus on improving his craft and not merely staying healthy and on the field.

Top Bottom