Sources: Cowboys have concerns in giving Dez Bryant big-money deal

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not like Dez is the only WR to ever have poor numbers over a two week stretch. A couple weeks ago, people were ready to blow him. Now people are questioning if we should resign him? Come on, now.
My biggest thing is the Romo effect. Is he going to play like he played Sunday with the next guy? Because when we pay him (not if), the bulk of that contract is going to be with a new QB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
My biggest thing is the Romo effect. Is he going to play like he played Sunday with the next guy? Because when we pay him (not if), the bulk of that contract is going to be with a new QB.
If our next QB is a complete invalid like Weeden then yes he will probably play like that. If the next guy is competent at all Dez will be fine, he played well with Orton last year against the Eagles for example.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I sincerely hope that our next starting QB doesn't play like a festering gob.

Just guessing here, but I'm thinking a WR corp of Megatron, R. Moss, and T. Owens wouldn't have looked too good playing with Weeden last Sunday.

Carp

DCC 4Life
My concern is that the next QB is intimidated into overthrowing to Dez. Once his body language changed, Weeden did everything he could to get him the ball.

vince

Not So New Member
Once his body language changed, Weeden did everything he could to get him the ball.
Or maybe that's what was being called and needed since nothing else was working.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Concerned and rightfully so imo. I doubt he's even a good tipper. :unsure

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just guessing here, but I'm thinking a WR corp of Megatron, R. Moss, and T. Owens wouldn't have looked too good playing with Weeden last Sunday.
Certainly not in the shape those guys were in last Sunday

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Certainly not in the shape those guys were in last Sunday
Comedy isn't really your thing.

But on those same lines, I doubt Johhny Unitas in his current state would do much worse than Weeden did.

maxdallasfan

Brand New Member
I like Dez, but I wouldn't do it. Murray either.

A QB obviously won't be drafted early (shaking head). Instead, this team needs a speed WR early, ala Hilton, DeSean and Maclin type. Gotta open up the field so TWill and Street can feast underneath. Beas too. A RB can be found in RDs 2 or 3. Defense the rest of the way.

Money should be going to RoMac and a decent back up QB.

Now sit down for this one.......... I would go after Foles as our back up. Crazy huh? But why not. He's guaranteed at least a few games as starter. Plus, the girls in green won't be signing him.

This team is close, but betting the house on a QB with a bad back is suicide.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

A QB obviously won't be drafted early (shaking head). Instead, this team needs a speed WR early, ala Hilton, DeSean and Maclin type. Gotta open up the field so TWill and Street can feast underneath. Beas too. A RB can be found in RDs 2 or 3. Defense the rest of the way.

Now sit down for this one.......... I would go after Foles as our back up. Crazy huh? But why not. He's guaranteed at least a few games as starter. Plus, the girls in green won't be signing him.

Foles is under contract for 2015, I don't think they will just cut him. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7475/nick-foles

I think our backup QB options next year will be other (better than Weeden) draft busts like Christian Ponder (he's from Dallas and he is capable of being at least a "bus driver" backup QB).

maxdallasfan

Brand New Member

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Shoot, I thought he was free after this season. My plan is FOILED!
You were probably fooled by talks about how he would be eligible for a contract extension if he had a good season in 2014, but he hasn't. He'll have to fight for the job, probably.

shane

DCC 4Life
Of course Dallas will give huge contracts to every injury prone bum who has one good season, but hesitates when it comes to Dez :budd

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Foles is under contract for 2015, I don't think they will just cut him. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7475/nick-foles

I think our backup QB options next year will be other (better than Weeden) draft busts like Christian Ponder (he's from Dallas and he is capable of being at least a "bus driver" backup QB).

They could be looking to trade Foles if Sanchez plays well. Especially if they draft a QB high next year. Word is Kelly is not in love with him.

But I certainly wouldn't trade for him. Someone else would probably offer way too much for him and look for him to start. Personally I don't like him but you could do a lot worse as a backup.

Genghis Khan

I'd bring back both Dez and Murray. It's working really well. It's easy to say we can just replace them, but if it was that easy every team would have players of that caliber. I'd certainly prioritize those two over a guy like McClain, who has half a year of decent production, has been hurt nearly the entire time, doesn't seem to like to practice, and we're still not sure we can trust.

maxdallasfan

Brand New Member
I'd bring back both Dez and Murray. It's working really well. It's easy to say we can just replace them, but if it was that easy every team would have players of that caliber. I'd certainly prioritize those two over a guy like McClain, who has half a year of decent production, has been hurt nearly the entire time, doesn't seem to like to practice, and we're still not sure we can trust.
That is true....that cat never seems to practice. I guess he'll keep doing it as long as he keeps getting away with it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They could be looking to trade Foles if Sanchez plays well. Especially if they draft a QB high next year. Word is Kelly is not in love with him.

But I certainly wouldn't trade for him. Someone else would probably offer way too much for him and look for him to start. Personally I don't like him but you could do a lot worse as a backup.
I would like to go after Kirk Cousins. I know he struggled in recent weeks, but he was mighty impressive for the Skins for 3 starts, and the guy has ability.

As a backup, I would take him in a heartbeat.

Genghis Khan

I would like to go after Kirk Cousins. I know he struggled in recent weeks, but he was mighty impressive for the Skins for 3 starts, and the guy has ability.

As a backup, I would take him in a heartbeat.
I'd be open to it depending on the money and whether he is available.

One thing is clear though. We desperately need to upgrade our backup QB. Going into a season with Weeden as our main backup, knowing how fragile Romo is at this point of his career, was stone cold dumb.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They were handicapped by Orton. Depending on the conversation between the club and Orton you might say that they should have been more proactive. I just think Jerry was in denial about Orton not coming back. I wonder who was available after they finally cut Orton.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom