Machota - Jerry Jones: Too early to talk about positives of a potential top-5 pick

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Too early to talk about the positives of a potential top-5 draft pick

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

ARLINGTON -- The Cowboys front office can look to one positive that came out of Saturday night's 19-16 loss to the New York Jets, they improved their chances of landing a top five draft pick.

Entering the weekend, Dallas was sitting at the No. 6 overall pick.

Standing outside the Cowboys locker room after the game, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said it was too soon to start talking about the draft.

"The reality after two weeks, we'll play Buffalo and Washington here, that next weekend is when that old cold, hard light of day hits you that you're not getting to play any more," Jones said. "Then we'll start up and have all your assets for coming years.

"We have to, we have to turn immediately and not dismiss and ignore your problems but you have to turn it up for the positives here. And we've got to take advantage of this, the entire system, it's like throwing downfield, the rules call for you to throw downfield, you'll miss a huge advantage if you don't get some of those interferences and get some of those long plays.

"The rules call for you if you've had the season we've had to get an advantage in talent coming up for the next year and so we do have an advantage in talent to couple with a roster of really outstanding relatively young players as well as players as the right time in their careers and the right place for us on the cap, so there is a lot to do."

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
tl;dr version- "the roster is set"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't get the analogy of picking high in the draft is like throwing deep to draw a pass interference penalty.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't get the analogy of picking high in the draft is like throwing deep to draw a pass interference penalty.
Maybe he's implying no matter who we pick it'll be a good player like even if you don't get the completion a PI call is good fallback?? :shrug

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No clue what this means, maybe he means we need to take a risk and go with a QB?

Probably not though, I'm betting this basically just means Jalen Ramsey.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No clue what this means, maybe he means we need to take a risk and go with a QB?

I don't think he's a top 5 kind of player. I really don't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think its sort of his way of saying the Cowboys are too good of a team to be picking that high, but that's the way the system is set up so he will take advantage of it. But who knows it's Jerry.

I hope it means QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think its sort of his way of saying the Cowboys are too good of a team to be picking that high, but that's the way the system is set up so he will take advantage of it. But who knows it's Jerry.

I hope it means QB.
Goff or Lynch, sure. But I am starting to really really like Wentz a lot the more I watch of him and I think he fits what we do better and he fits the profile of a kid who can sit and learn for a year or two.

I am not advocating trading down, but I sure as shit would trade back into the first to get him as that is where I am guessing he will go right now.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Typical Jerry speak. Loving the sound of his own voice, making absolutely zero sense. I think he's saying he wants
to make the best of the impending high draft slot. Heaven help us, Jerry at the top of the draft. This won't end well.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Goff or Lynch, sure. But I am starting to really really like Wentz a lot the more I watch of him and I think he fits what we do better and he fits the profile of a kid who can sit and learn for a year or two.

I am not advocating trading down, but I sure as shit would trade back into the first to get him as that is where I am guessing he will go right now.
Definitely agree with this.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jerry said:
And we've got to take advantage of this, the entire system, it's like throwing downfield, the rules call for you to throw downfield, you'll miss a huge advantage if you don't get some of those interferences and get some of those long plays.
You mean like your handpicked gaping hole coach never does?

Jiggyfly

Banned

I think I would rather do that than take either of the other guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I'm excited to see him at the Senior Bowl. Right now he may be an early second but we all know a great Senior Bowl could push him into the upper half of the first round.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I favor Wentz right now as well. I would trade back and swipe as many extra picks as possible. This could be a big windfall for us.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Wentz might have the biggest arm in the draft and is probably one of the best runners as well, just below true running QBs who can't pass like Dak and Cardale. He also has pretty good pocket presence, a relatively quick release and movement ability in the pocket, my main concern is that he seems to stare down WRs and believes his arm can fit it in anywhere, aside from the lower level of play thing.

He's also a model citizen and student supposedly, winning some big time Academic All-American award.

Serious question, he's already getting late 1st round pub, if this guy blows up the Senior Bowl like Rivers 10 years ago, do you give him serious consideration at 5 or 7 or where ever we end up picking?

Top Bottom