Week 4 Gameday Chatter | Saints vs. Cowboys | 09/28/2014

data

Forbes #1
The NFL rule should just be you can't decleat the QB. "Proceed to hit the QB, just can't hit 'em 6/10 hardness or above."

p1_

DCC 4Life
Didn't Sproles just come from NO?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm back, baby!

Cotton

Staff member
Fucking 49ers suck.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Nice throw and catch to Boldin.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah but I thought Sproles was picked after Julius in the second or third round?
Couldn't remember for sure so looked it up, Sproles was 4th round of 05, Julius was 04

Cotton

Staff member
I put Gore on my bench and they finally decide to start using him. :budd

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Welcome to AT&T Stadium

September, 28, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Welcome to AT&T Stadium where the Dallas Cowboys take on the New Orleans Saints.

The Cowboys (2-1) are looking for their first three-game winning streak in September since 2008, while the Saints are looking to continue their recent dominance of Dallas. New Orleans has won three in a row and eight of its last nine against the Cowboys.

Last year, the Saints whipped the Cowboys 49-17, putting up 625 yards and an NFL-record 40 first downs. The Cowboys actually held leads of 3-0 and 10-7 before the Saints scored 28 straight points to put the game away.

“They were able to do whatever they wanted; pass, run the ball, whatever,” safety Barry Church said, “so it’s definitely an embarrassing game from last year. Definitely going to try to correct that going into this year.”

Strong on third down: For the Cowboys to change the outcome they will not only need a better performance from the defense but a better performance from the offense.

The Cowboys failed to convert on nine third-down opportunities in the meeting last year. As a result, the defense was on the field more and had no answers for Drew Brees & Co.

So far this season the Cowboys have converted 54.3 percent of their third downs into first downs (19-of-35). They know they need to be prepared for Rob Ryan’s different looks from the Saints' defense on third down.

“We were definitely not in good down and distances on third down,” tight end Jason Wittensaid. “It seemed like it was longer probably than it should’ve been but they did a good job. We know he’s bringing a lot of different blitzes. He double teams guys at times. He plays Cover 2 at times. He’s just has a rolodex of coverage and blitzes and fronts that he runs and we’ve got to be prepared for that and do a better job of keeping it in manageable down and distances and then execute better. We’ve done a pretty good of that after three games. I think we’re over 50 percent there. I think that’s kind of a byproduct of being good on first and second down as everybody says. That’s going to be a tough challenge.”

Under pressure: The Cowboys have three sacks in three games. Brees has been sacked only three times in three games.

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said the lack of a pass rush has been addressed. The question is whether it will be improved or can be improved. Anthony Spencer will make his season debut, but what can the Cowboys expect from him in his first game in more than a year?

The defensive line has accumulated just a half sack.

Brees simply can’t have time to make throws if the Cowboys want to be successful.

“It’s critical every week because the type of quarterbacks you face,” Marinelli said. “If you’re not getting there, that ball has to come out fast, on time for the back row. But this guy is special player. He’s a special, special player. We all realize that, he’s got a good front, so we know what we’re up against but we’ve just got to make sure what we’re doing. Can’t worry about last year, we’ve just got to play one snap at a time and we’ve got to outplay their defense, that’s what we’ve got to do.”

The ref: Gene Steratore’s crew will referee tonight’s game at AT&T Stadium. Here’s a breakdown of what Steratore’s crew did last week.

Top Bottom