JJT: Three thoughts on the Dallas Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Three thoughts on the Dallas Cowboys
October, 31, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

I think the Dallas Cowboys need DeMarcus Lawrence to be a good player, nothing more. It’s unrealistic to expect him to be a dominant pass-rusher based on recent history. There have been 32 defensive ends drafted in the second round since 2004. None have had more than Carlos Dunlap's 9.5 sacks for Cincinnati as a rookie. Most have been average as rookies and increased their sack total by four or five in their second year.

I think I’d rather have Brandon Weeden with a full week of practice and a strong running game than Tony Romo, who hasn’t practiced all week, against a nasty defense that thrives on the blitz and putting quarterbacks under duress. This style of defense requires a quarterback to be sharp. Romo is fine mentally, but without practice he might not be sharp, which could lead to turnovers.

I think some good play calls don’t work and some dumb play calls do work. The easiest play to criticize is one that doesn’t work. It’s about a body of work -- not a play here or there.

Key stat: 25

When this season ends, Justin Durant will have missed 25 of 105 games (23.8 percent) in his eight-year NFL career.

He has played 16 games once and has missed 16 of 32 games with the Cowboys. While he was having a terrific season, the Cowboys must consider his health when deciding whether to sign the 29-year-old linebacker to another deal. Durant will be a free agent at the end of the season.

Durant had surgery to repair a torn biceps he suffered against Washington this week and will miss the rest of the season after being placed on injured reserve. He will be difficult to replace this season.

Player to Watch: Joseph Randle

The second-year running back is doing a good job on special teams and on the field with 21 carries for 143 yards, including a significant 38-yard run against the Seattle Seahawks that helped the Cowboys rally from a 10-0 deficit.

But his off-the-field issues have leaked into the locker room and that’s never a positive.

After he was arrested recently for stealing underwear and cologne from a Dillard’s department store, he made some disparaging remarks about teammates Dez Bryant and Josh Brent that were caught on video.

Well, a few teammates have privately seethed at his comments and he was involved in a skirmish with Bryant during practice on Friday. Jason Witten broke up the skirmish and chastised Randle.

Randle needs to make amends with the teammates he has offended because the Cowboys have a good thing going this season, and they don’t need locker room turmoil creating an issue on the team.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
After he was arrested recently for stealing underwear and cologne from a Dillard’s department store, he made some disparaging remarks about teammates Dez Bryant and Josh Brent that were caught on video.

Well, a few teammates have privately seethed at his comments and he was involved in a skirmish with Bryant during practice on Friday. Jason Witten broke up the skirmish and chastised Randle.
If Garrett is truly wants everyone to believe in his "vision" then this tool should be cut from the team immediately.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Exactly. Unreal that he is still on the roster at this point. You put up with this stuff for good players, not marginal ones like Randle.

Top Bottom