Scout’s Eye: Look For Lawrence To Make Early Impact; Big Chance For Beasley

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas – He’s not even officially on the roster yet, but I’m tabbing this to be a big debut opportunity for DeMarcus Lawrence. The Cowboys need to generate a pass rush, and there’s no time like the present for the rookie to help out.

On top of that, I think the Cowboys need to utilize a quick passing game if they’re going to neutralize this Arizona pressure scheme. I think a big component of that is going to be the often-overlooked Cole Beasley.

Let’s get into my breakdown of this week’s two biggest matchups:

Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence against Cardinals OT Jared Veldheer

This will be the first professional action for Lawrence and his availability couldn’t have come at a better time for this defense. When training camp opened, I believed Lawrence was going to play his way into this starting lineup, but with him breaking those bones in his foot -- it was a disappointing set back to say the least.

If there is a silver lining to Lawrence being out, these first eight games of the season it has allowed him to physically remake his body in the weight room. In his rehab time away from the game, it has allowed him to put on ten good pounds of muscle, which most scouts were concerned he sure could have used.

With the added strength and lack of seasonal wear and tear on his body, he will be ready to provide a much needed pass rush to a defense that has been good in providing pressure but doesn’t have the sack numbers to show for it. Jermey Mincey will continue to be the starter at the right defensive end, but instead of Anthony Spencer or Laver Edwards as the backup it will be Lawrence off that edge.

Another benefit with Lawrence returning is that it will also allow Mincey to play down inside in the nickel, where he has shown the ability to get that pressure when he lined up over the guard. Putting two pressure players on that right side should generate some really nice opportunities against Jared Veldheer and guard Ted Larsen.

Cowboys WR Cole Beasley against Cardinals CB Jerraud Powers

Last week against the Eagles, Jerraud Powers was forced into the starting lineup when Patrick Peterson went out of the game with a concussion. Powers will normally line up as the nickel cornerback when the Cardinals go to that package.

With the way that the Cardinals like to play their corners in man-to-man coverage, there is a tremendous amount of confidence in both Antonio Cromartie and Patrick Peterson -- but on tape you see the confidence these coaches have in Powers and his ability to make plays. For the Cowboys, whether it’s Tony Romo or Brandon Weeden at quarterback, the ball is going to need to get out quickly.

Offensively, when you deal with a defense that likes to bring pressure, receivers must win on the outside. Of the Cowboys receivers that can win off the snap, Cole Beasley can make that happen with his routes. There were several snaps against the Redskins last Monday night where the Cowboys were faced with pressure and Beasley was open, but the ball did not come in his direction.

I do not see this offense making the same mistakes in their protections or failing to get the ball in Beasley’s hands. The Broncos did a really nice job of taking advantage of some of the matchups that they were able to create inside against the Cardinals. I expect we will see the exact same thing scheme-wise from Scott Linehan against this Arizona defense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In his rehab time away from the game, it has allowed him to put on ten good pounds of muscle, which most scouts were concerned he sure could have used.
It was painfully obvious he needed it. If "most scouts" were concerned about it, I'm surprised he had such a high pedigree. Guess Dallas had to have a pass rusher no matter what.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It was painfully obvious he needed it. If "most scouts" were concerned about it, I'm surprised he had such a high pedigree. Guess Dallas had to have a pass rusher no matter what.
Most draft rankings had him in the range he went.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So Cole Beasley, out of all our WRs is the one that can win off the snap?
Actually Beasley gets separation quicker and better than any receiver on the team. He isn't fast enough to maintain it on anything vertical but 15 yards or shorter routes he is the go to guy.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Beasley's kind of disappeared lately, though. Wonder what his deal is. Maybe it was his wife having the kid?

And it seems to me like Lawrence's impact is being overhyped. This is a rookie second rounder who got hurt his first week of camp, not Jadaveon Clowney.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And it seems to me like Lawrence's impact is being overhyped. This is a rookie second rounder who got hurt his first week of camp, not Jadaveon Clowney.
It goes to show you just how bad our DL is. Anything and everything can help.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It goes to show you just how bad our DL is. Anything and everything can help.
Not really. Not saying our D-line is any good, but regardless I'd be excited about a borderline first round talent pass rusher getting a chance to play. Rookie pass rushers having success isn't exactly something totally unheard of.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not really. Not saying our D-line is any good, but regardless I'd be excited about a borderline first round talent pass rusher getting a chance to play. Rookie pass rushers having success isn't exactly something totally unheard of.
I'm not saying that I'm not excited to see him play. I think I have been very clear how anxious I am to see him on the field. I'm saying that the state our line is in, especially in regards to pass rush, we should be excited about any and all help.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shrimp Beasley simply cannot win any contested pass. He is okay if someone ignores him.

Top Bottom