Mosley: Cowboys should go with Weeden vs. Cardinals

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys should go with Weeden vs. Cardinals
Matt Mosley

FOX Sports Southwest

OCT 30, 2014 12:08a ET

The Dallas Cowboys need to choose Brandon Weeden over Tony Romo, if only for one Sunday of this NFL season. It's not something they wanted to do, but it's a decision that's in the best interest of their playoff hopes and Romo's immediate future.

There's no question Romo's intention is to try and gut it out against the Arizona Cardinals. He's played through cracked ribs and a punctured lung in the past. And that's another reason the Cowboys should take this decision out of his hands.

They are better off with Weeden at 100 percent than a compromised Romo on Sunday. I don't have the medical background of someone like a Jerry Jones, but common sense tells you that having to take regular injections just to try and make it through games isn't a great habit to get in. Romo admitted Wednesday that he'd be in no shape to play a game right now, and it's hard to imagine him getting any meaningful practice time before Sunday's game.

"At a certain point, there needs to be a shift in the way you feel that shows you that you're able to do the fundamental things that need to get done," Romo told reporters. "From there, you got to get the doctors' clearance and take those steps and go."

For the first time in several years, this team is actually built to withstand a short absence from Romo. Jason Garrett actually won his job by getting the team to rally around Jon Kitna when Romo broke his collarbone in 2010. This offense is much more talented than that one. Even against an excellent Cardinals defense, Weeden would be able to lean on his teammates. He performed admirably in leading the Cowboys to scoring drives on consecutive possessions in Monday's 20-17 overtime loss to the Washington Redskins. Now that we know how shaky Romo looked after his return to that game, it looks like sticking with Weeden may have been the best move.

This is nothing like what the Cowboys faced when Romo suffered a broken pinkie in 2008 and was replaced by Brad Johnson. When the Cowboys performed poorly during that stretch, I was told that Jones was seething that he'd been convinced Johnson could do the job. (Johnson was Garrett's guy). This would've been a good spot for Kyle Orton, but he's made off with Jerry's money and become the starting quarterback for the Buffalo Bills.

Weeden told me late Monday night that he feels like getting thrown into the game at the last second wasn't the worst thing that could've happened. He didn't have time to obsess about everything he's learned since joining the team in the offseason. Weeden's also benefited from being able to take first-team reps each Wednesday while Romo rests his back.

"It's still a day-to-day type thing," Weeden told reporters Wednesday. "I took the reps today and if he's [Romo] out there practicing, great. If not, then I will step in there and take each rep which has been good for the last seven, eight weeks. I've been able to take the reps on Wednesday which has been big for me so I'm going to treat it no different, if he's able to go that's the best thing. We'll have to see how everything plays out."

The Cowboys need Romo to be as healthy as possible to make a run at the postseason. That's why they need to protect him from himself over the next two weeks. If Weeden could get you through the next two games, Romo would have three full weeks to recover from his back contusion. And it would allow Romo the chance to skip a long flight to London for the Jacksonville game.

The medical staff is proceeding as if Romo will play Sunday against the Cardinals. The team is trying to come up with the right type of padding to help provide some extra protection for his back, according to a source.

Jerry Jones told 105.3 that a lot of it will come down to what sort of pain tolerance Romo has. Well, he already knows the answer to that.

The Cowboys are calling this a game-time decision for Romo. Let's hope it doesn't take that long to make the right decision. Go with the backup plan.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jones will spin Romo but Weeden will probably start. It's good psyche strategy to keep in in the air.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Romo will start. He won't be anywhere near himself and Garrett, as usual, will be too gutless to put Weeden in as the team struggles the whole game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Romo will start. He won't be anywhere near himself and Garrett, as usual, will be too gutless to put Weeden in as the team struggles the whole game.
I agree, my only hope is that Murray can grind us to a victory. I can't possibly imagine that after a week of thinking about Romo's injury that our coaches will go out there slinging the ball around. I know we did in overtime of the Redskins game but lets face it. None of the coaches really had any idea how hurt Romo was or what he was capable of.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Romo will start. He won't be anywhere near himself and Garrett, as usual, won't have the authority to put Weeden in as the team struggles the whole game.
fify

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would not say that is gutless...if he can't move and it is an injury concern then you take him out, lack of production while healthy though...that will not happen and shouldn't.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I agree, my only hope is that Murray can grind us to a victory. I can't possibly imagine that after a week of thinking about Romo's injury that our coaches will go out there slinging the ball around. I know we did in overtime of the Redskins game but lets face it. None of the coaches really had any idea how hurt Romo was or what he was capable of.
:ez

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If starting Romo means we get the opener against SF Romo or the player who came back into the game Monday night, I would as soon just start Weeden and put the game on Murray's shoulders.

Cotton

Staff member
If starting Romo means we get the opener against SF Romo or the player who came back into the game Monday night, I would as soon just start Weeden and put the game on Murray's shoulders.
Yep, and it's not really even debatable.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
They had an interview with Jerry on NFLN a little while ago and he said it's up to Romo if he plays or not(he did add if Garrett agrees with him).

Cotton

Staff member
They had an interview with Jerry on NFLN a little while ago and he said it's up to Romo if he plays or not(he did add if Garrett agrees with him).
I think he is pressuring him to play. This is right in line with the quote from the other day when he said that Romo would play if he could bear the pain. Romo has a high pain tolerance, so I really think Jerry is pushing him here.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he is pressuring him to play. This is right in line with the quote from the other day when he said that Romo would play if he could bear the pain. Romo has a high pain tolerance, so I really think Jerry is pushing him here.
Garrett just parroted Jones and went on the pain tolerance angle.

data

Forbes #1
You think our backup can go 25/30, 300 yards, zero INT? Or at least pull off a 24-point comeback?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think we could beat the Cardinals with Weeden provided they don't go full retard again.

As long as they do what got them to 6-1 (running the damn ball) they can beat the Cardinals with Weeden at QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think we could beat the Cardinals with Weeden provided they don't go full retard again.

As long as they do what got them to 6-1 (running the damn ball) they can beat the Cardinals with Weeden at QB.
Running the football means winning TOP and also keeping a leaky D off the field. But we have to force a turnover or two even then.

That's how we have been winning...it is not just running. The defense seemed to really take the night off against Washington. That won't work against the Cardinals.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm actually not that scared of Arizona's offense.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Running the football means winning TOP and also keeping a leaky D off the field. But we have to force a turnover or two even then.

That's how we have been winning...it is not just running. The defense seemed to really take the night off against Washington. That won't work against the Cardinals.
Romo or Weeden-- it doesn't matter. This game is a L. We are destined for 7-3 at the bye with a bunch of question marks after losing to the Skins and Cards and getting the easy W against the hapless Jags.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Romo or Weeden-- it doesn't matter. This game is a L. We are destined for 7-3 at the bye with a bunch of question marks after losing to the Skins and Cards and getting the easy W against the hapless Jags.
I don't think the W against the Jags is a lock.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
I don't think the W against the Jags is a lock.
I don't see us losing 3 in a row. Nothing is a lock of course-- but beating Jax in London is about as close to a "gimme" game Dallas is going to get this year.

Top Bottom