Romo news

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd be happy to have Romo sit 2 games (3 weeks). That way the coaching staff won't get cute with the game plan again. I think Weeden, with starter reps in practice, can throw a few big passes to keep the defenses from being ridiculous. If you look at the people he'll be throwing to, that's a talented enough group to make a backup look OK for a week or 2.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
What is interesting to me is the nature of the injury. He was kneed in the flank. I can't remember which side but getting kneed there you worry about one a rib fracture or deeper a kidney injury. Either of those would be very painful. A kidney lac can be life-threatening but doubtful would be if he was able to return to play. If they were worried about a back injury, an MRI would be the best test. Given that they did a CT I'm guessing they are more worried about either a boney fracture (rib or possible vertebral transverse process) or intra-abdominal injury (kidney lac).

Anyway, interesting they are being coy. Romo has a right to his medical privacy so if he doesn't want the team to disclose, they shouldn't.

Carl

RIP Brother
I am a big believer in your starting QB starting; it sends a message to the locker room. However if he cannot function against the Cards, I would not start him and would not take him to London, effectively giving him almost a month off and rested with 6 weeks to go.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Regarding the area he took the shot, I thought the same thing lostxn and he probably shouldn't play if there's even a chance he could exacerbate it. I can't say I'm that confident in Weeden but I'm more comfortable with the idea of making a couple of starts than I was when the season started. I'd be satisfied if he led us to 1-1 over a couple of games, even 0-2. It would stink because of course I would rather win than lose but I would have lower expectations and we would still be sitting at 6-4 with 6 games left and the bye to give Romo an extended break.

It's not like this team is a serious contender if Romo's health are ability to finish the home stretch is in question and hell, I expected to be maybe 4-4 at best at this point in the season before it started.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

townsend

Banned
great Romo's puttering around valley ranch like Admiral Pike.
"How's the back feeling?"
*beep* *beep*

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am a big believer in your starting QB starting; it sends a message to the locker room. However if he cannot function against the Cards, I would not start him and would not take him to London, effectively giving him almost a month off and rested with 6 weeks to go.
I don't know the extent of the injury, but what I saw on TV was a guy getting a knee to the back. If there is no structural damage, as has been reported, then it is basically just playing through a bruised back. The problem is though that I think it affected him more mentally than physically. That is something that only time on the field will heal.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I don't know the extent of the injury, but what I saw on TV was a guy getting a knee to the back. If there is no structural damage, as has been reported, then it is basically just playing through a bruised back. The problem is though that I think it affected him more mentally than physically. That is something that only time on the field will heal.
Or exacerbate. If he knows he's hurt, those footsteps will be louder, faster. 3 weeks to truly heal, and maybe he won't go fetal when the other team comes out of the locker room.

townsend

Banned
I'm hesitant to question Romo's toughness but his bad back has affected his passing ability in the past. I remember that KC game in 2013 as a perfect example of how he can struggle to complete easy passes when his back is hurting him.
Honestly a gameplan that was built around a 100% Weeden feels safer. Romo's an amazing wild card, but I feel like he's a crutch sometimes. And if he can't deliver miracles then we're better off not counting on it. I think that was a big part of Kitna's success in 2010.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Manziel is getting frustrated in Clev...I'm just saying.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
What is interesting to me is the nature of the injury. He was kneed in the flank. I can't remember which side but getting kneed there you worry about one a rib fracture or deeper a kidney injury. Either of those would be very painful. A kidney lac can be life-threatening but doubtful would be if he was able to return to play. If they were worried about a back injury, an MRI would be the best test. Given that they did a CT I'm guessing they are more worried about either a boney fracture (rib or possible vertebral transverse process) or intra-abdominal injury (kidney lac).

Anyway, interesting they are being coy. Romo has a right to his medical privacy so if he doesn't want the team to disclose, they shouldn't.
You guessed it. According to Schefter he has two fractured transverse process. Same thing that Baylor's Bryce Petty dealt with.

Petty missed one game so despite Jerry's nudging, I think Romo chooses to skip the Cardinals game. Romo's older than Petty and has previous back issues. Be smart about this.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If they have half a brain, they sit him regardless of whether he feels like he can play or not. With his recent injury history and that mega contract JJ signed him to, they need to keep him healthy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Manziel is getting frustrated in Clev...I'm just saying.
I'd trade for him in the offseason...especially if he rides the bench all year. Give up a second this year and next. We always blow second rounders anyways.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo has fractures in transverse process

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Nov. 1, 2014 at 05:53 p.m.
Updated: Nov. 1, 2014 at 06:05 p.m.

A source close to Tony Romo informed NFL Media's Desmond Purnell on Saturday that the Dallas Cowboys quarterback has two fractures in his transverse process, but it is possible he could still play Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals. The injury is not related to his previous back surgeries.

Multiple attempts were made to contact the Cowboys, but the team could not be reached for comment.

Romo suffered a back injury Monday night when he was hit on a sack and took a pain-killing shot to return late in the game. In the buildup to the Cardinals clash, he didn't practice all week and was listed as questionable. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Romo planned to participate in Saturday's walkthrough.

The transverse process is a small bone that sticks out of either side of the vertebrae.

Jerry Jones said this week the biggest impediment to Romo playing would be pain tolerance. Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan indicated that it is unusual for a quarterback to miss an entire week of practices and still play; however, there is not much usual about this situation with Jones' team.

If Romo can't play, the quarterback duties will fall to Brandon Weeden. The veteran backup played well in spot-duty Monday night. The veteran's extensive work with the first team during weekly practices (when Romo rested) and during OTAs should put him in a position to run the offense.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I think you have to let romo rest until after the bye if we plan on be playoff contenders. If he gets hurt any worse we are done for the season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think you have to let romo rest until after the bye if we plan on be playoff contenders. If he gets hurt any worse we are done for the season.
Tell that to Jones.

He's put unnecessary pressure on Romo to play and if he does and gets wiped out, he still comes out being blameless.

In a perfect world, the head coach says nope, we are rolling with Weeden.

But we have a unique and ambiguous structure and stuff.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Tell that to Jones.

He's put unnecessary pressure on Romo to play and if he does and gets wiped out, he still comes out being blameless.

In a perfect world, the head coach says nope, we are rolling with Weeden.

But we have a unique and ambiguous structure and stuff.
and Manziel is upset in Cleveland....

lostxn

DCC 4Life
You guessed it. According to Schefter he has two fractured transverse process. Same thing that Baylor's Bryce Petty dealt with.

Petty missed one game so despite Jerry's nudging, I think Romo chooses to skip the Cardinals game. Romo's older than Petty and has previous back issues. Be smart about this.
Thanks for the props. ☺

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Rapaport said on NFLN Romo won't play and will probably not play until after the bye.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Rapaport said on NFLN Romo won't play and will probably not play until after the bye.
Enter the Weeden era. May we run the ball often and bludgeon opposing defenses.

Top Bottom