Mendez: Marinelli isn't out here to pump up Bruce Carter...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Marinelli isn't out here to pump Bruce Carter or anybody else up: 'I don't do confidence stuff'

If rebuilding linebacker Bruce Carter’s confidence is part of returning him to his 2012 level, don’t expect Rod Marinelli to do it.

“I don’t do confidence stuff,” the new defensive coordinator said with a sniff Friday at Valley Ranch.

Obviously, Marinelli’s Marine training must have suddenly kicked in when he was asked about getting Carter to believe in himself after admitting last year that his confidence sagged during part of the season.

A reporter used the word “drooped.”

“Don’t droop,” Marinelli said. “Go play. It’s a man’s game. Just go. Play it the right way out here, and that’s what I want. We’re going to coach it. We’ll coach you hard. Be where you’re supposed to be, and here’s what I expect. And then go.”

So, no confidence games?

“Get down and play. Get down and play,” Marinelli said. “Here’s your alingment, assignment, your key. We want you to play fast. We want you to take the ball away.”

And his toughness?

“I just coach football,” Marinelli said, perhaps half-amused, half-annoyed at the Carter examination. “And I think there’s a lot of toughness in football, coached the right way.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Stars

DCC 4Life
Easy to sound like a badass in May. I want to see results on Sundays in autumn/winter when this team is famous for shitting the proverbial bed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Easy to sound like a badass in May. I want to see results on Sundays in autumn/winter when this team is famous for shitting the proverbial bed.
Yeah, not real interested in tough talk from Marinelli either.

It is not like Kiffin was some powerful overlord that silenced him from speaking his mind to Carter last year.

Cotton

Staff member
We must ensure that Bob Roberts' delicate sensibilities and high standards of taste are maintained.
You changed the title of the article! I hope you get dick cancer from being sued for like article infringement or some such shit.

Cotton

Staff member
Marinelli to Carter: 'It's a man's game'
May, 19, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Conventional wisdom was dead wrong about Dallas Cowboys linebacker Bruce Carter last season.

The speedy Carter, who showed flashes of brilliance in Rob Ryan’s 3-4 in 2012, didn’t end up being a perfect fit as the Will linebacker in Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 scheme. He definitely didn’t remind anybody of Derrick Brooks, either. Instead, Carter got benched in Week 4 and was part of the problem for the NFL’s worst defense.

Carter has admitted his confidence took a hit last season. That’s apparently not Rod Marinelli’s problem.

“I don’t do confidence stuff,” said Marinelli, who was promoted to defensive coordinator this offseason. “Get down and play. Get down and play. Here’s your assignment key. We want you to play fast and we want you to take the ball away.”

Carter didn’t come up with any turnovers last season. Not one interception, forced fumble or fumble recovery. That might explain why the Cowboys were ready to draft Ohio State’s Ryan Shazier in the first round to replace Carter before the Pittsburgh Steelers beat them one pick before the Cowboys went on the clock.

If that bothered Carter, so be it. He's not going to get a pep talk from Marinelli.

“Go play,” Marinelli said. “It’s a man’s game, man. Play it the right way. That’s what I want. We’re going to coach it. We’ll coach you hard. Be where you’re supposed to be. This is what we expect. And then go.”

Marinelli made it clear he doesn’t coach confidence. Does he coach mental toughness?

“I just coach football,” Marinelli said. “And I think there’s a lot of toughness in football coached the right way.”

Top Bottom