MacMahon: Emmitt Smith has advice for DeMarco Murray

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Emmitt Smith has advice for DeMarco Murray
October, 28, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Seconds after DeMarco Murray lost his league-high fifth fumble of the season, the running back whose franchise single-season records are being run past this season seemed to offer a little advice via Twitter.

This was a classic case of Murray fighting for a few extra inches and costing the Dallas Cowboys at least a few points Monday night.

After catching a pass in the flat, Murray burst up the right sideline, running past a pursuing linebacker to get deep in Washington Redskins territory early in the second quarter. He dragged safety Brandon Meriweather a few yards to the Washington 6 before the cavalry arrived. Murray was fighting four Redskins when cornerback Bashaud Breeland managed to pry the ball loose, forcing a fumble recovered by Meriweather.

If Murray just goes down, the Cowboys wouldn’t have needed an injured Tony Romo to attempt to lead an overtime comeback in a 20-17 loss to the Redskins.

Good luck telling that to the NFL’s leading rusher, though.

“I’m going to continue to play hard and fight for every inch,” Murray said. “What happened, I’ve just got to just lock two hands on it. I’m going to continue to fight and run hard as I can to get us every inch and every yard I can, but I’ve just got to lock it up with two hands.”

That isn’t the message he’ll get from coach Jason Garrett, who agrees with former Cowboys teammate Emmitt Smith.

As country singer Kenny Rogers would croon, know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

“We really have to understand how to handle those situations at the end of the down,” Garrett said. “He’s just a physical runner. He’s got a great will and determination about him, but he has to go down and protect the ball at the end of a play like that.”

The Cowboys love Murray’s relentless, physical running style. It sets a tone of toughness for a team that has suddenly established itself as smash-mouth bullies, and it’s been awfully effective.

With 1,054 rushing yards in eight games, including 141 against the Redskins, Murray is on pace to blow by Smith’s single-season franchise record and break Eric Dickerson’s NFL record by a few yards. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Murray has gained 402 rushing yards after contact, which also leads the league.

But sometimes Murray tries to do too much, exposing himself to extra punishment and putting the ball at risk. Considering that his head coach preaches the importance of “the ball, the ball, the ball” on a constant basis, that’s a big problem.

“Any time you give the ball up, you’re obviously eliminating a chance to score yourselves,” Garrett said. “There aren’t that many drives in a game.”

The solution? Well, that’s not so simple.

It doesn’t make much sense to bench a running back who is among the MVP front-runners. Not to mention that backup running back Joseph Randle -- whose sticky fingers made national news this month -- also lost a fumble in the first quarter, although an interception in the end zone by safety J.J. Wilcox prevented that turnover from inflicting pain on the Cowboys.

The Cowboys' coaches will continue to try to hammer home the message to Murray that protecting the ball is far more important than fighting for every inch.

Sounds like they can get some help from the NFL’s all-time leading rusher.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
“I’m going to continue to play hard and fight for every inch,” Murray said. “What happened, I’ve just got to just lock two hands on it. I’m going to continue to fight and run hard as I can to get us every inch and every yard I can, but I’ve just got to lock it up with two hands.”
How many times is he going to say the same shit before he actually DOES it?

vince

Not So New Member
Why should he stop doing what he's doing? Every yard he gains helps him achieve his personal goals. On top of that Garrett isn't going to do anything about it. It's not like he's gonna bench him every time he fumbles.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Hard to tell a guy to dial it back when you love him for giving everything he's got.

It's like telling Tyron not to jump on a fumble in training camp.

Top Bottom