Davison: Weeden impressive in Cowboys’ backup QB role

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Weeden impressive in Cowboys’ backup QB role
Posted Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2014

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

ARLINGTON — Brandon Weeden is someone the Cowboys hope stays on the sidelines, but he was needed for the first time Monday night.

And he handled the situation well.

Weeden replaced an injured Tony Romo in the third quarter and led the Cowboys on two consecutive scoring drives.

“That’s the way this role is,” Weeden said. “You get limited reps and you’re expected to not miss a beat when you go in there. I thought we put together a good drive, actually two good drives.”

The Cowboys had to settle for a field goal on Weeden’s first drive, but he put together an impressive TD drive next. He went 4-for-4 on the drive, capping it off with a 25-yard TD pass to Jason Witten that tied the game at 17-17.

For his night, Weeden was 4-of-6 passing for 69 yards and a touchdown. It was his first regular-season action since Week 12 last season with Cleveland.

“I thought Brandon did a nice job,” coach Jason Garrett said. “I thought he handled himself well.”

But Garrett said there was never a question whether to stick with Weeden once Romo returned to the sidelines.

Romo returned for the Cowboys final series in the fourth quarter and also led their lone series in overtime.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Weeden played reasonably well off the bench. No doubt they should've stayed with him the rest of the game. But the injured choke-artist decided he wanted to try and save the day.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
I'd be kind of comfortable with him as the starter if Romo were to go down. He was composed out there.

He made a couple innacurate throws, but I think that may have just been the rust.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but Cleveland is never a true indicator of a QB's true ability at this level.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He hit Dez squarely in the mitts in that first scoring series after Murray's nice 51-yarder to set us up near the goal. Dez just couldn't make the catch.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I've always thought he'd be just fine as a backup, especially when you see some of the garbage playing QB around the league.

No, he'll never have great pocket presence or improvise like Tony, but if he has time, he can throw the football with anyone.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He hit Dez squarely in the mitts in that first scoring series after Murray's nice 51-yarder to set us up near the goal. Dez just couldn't make the catch.
I thought it was high and a little away from him. Certainly should have caught it, but I didn't think Weeden put it in a great spot either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Do not allow booze to read this thread. :unsure

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That corner was on fire getting his hands on almost every pass. Dez' weakness is a lack of speed, so a quick corner can beat him to the ball if uncontested. With more practice, the QBs need to throw to a spot where Dez can box out the defender.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I've always thought he'd be just fine as a backup, especially when you see some of the garbage playing QB around the league.

No, he'll never have great pocket presence or improvise like Tony, but if he has time, he can throw the football with anyone.
You're right, but after Monday Night, I wish we'd signed Colt McCoy. He's a little more mobile and more Romo-like, and I think he'll have a job as a backup for a while in the NFL.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I can't say Weeden surprised me much because he looked decent in the preseason but he played better than I expected. I was honestly hoping that we would leave him in even after Romo came back because it was pretty clear Romo was rattled.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I can't say Weeden surprised me much because he looked decent in the preseason but he played better than I expected. I was honestly hoping that we would leave him in even after Romo came back because it was pretty clear Romo was rattled.
He just wasn't seeing where the blitz was coming from. He's always had a problem with DB blitzes, and I have no idea why the fuck they didn't keep more blockers in.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Luckily Arizona rarely blitzes...should be a cakewalk for him.:unsure

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Luckily Arizona rarely blitzes...should be a cakewalk for him.:unsure
Normal blitzes are one thing, but Washington sent the house enough that it disrupted the offense's rhythm. The Cowboys lack weapons that can make a team pay for doing it, or at least they lacked weapons Monday.

Washington's rookie CB turned in the game of his life knocking away four or so completions that would have been points or at least led to points. Without that performance, the game is completely different. Instead he allowed Washington to keep calling blitzes.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Normal blitzes are one thing, but Washington sent the house enough that it disrupted the offense's rhythm. The Cowboys lack weapons that can make a team pay for doing it, or at least they lacked weapons Monday.

Washington's rookie CB turned in the game of his life knocking away four or so completions that would have been points or at least led to points. Without that performance, the game is completely different. Instead he allowed Washington to keep calling blitzes.
Arizona blitzed the shit out of Philly...expect more of the same. We did have one good screen and the draw to Randle worked too...minus the fumble.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He just wasn't seeing where the blitz was coming from. He's always had a problem with DB blitzes, and I have no idea why the fuck they didn't keep more blockers in.
Or run screens and draws on third downs for that matter.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
None of them were seeing it and the lack of extra protection didn't help. Easily the worst game for the line this year when it comes to pass protection.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You're right, but after Monday Night, I wish we'd signed Colt McCoy. He's a little more mobile and more Romo-like, and I think he'll have a job as a backup for a while in the NFL.
Really? I think McCoy is awful. It's disgusting that we lost to that scrub.

The only thing McCoy can do is run around a little bit. His arm is too weak to make many of the throws.

Of course, he was just their third stringer, so what do you expect.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Really? I think McCoy is awful. It's disgusting that we lost to that scrub.

The only thing McCoy can do is run around a little bit. His arm is too weak to make many of the throws.

Of course, he was just their third stringer, so what do you expect.
He hasn't played like a guy you want starting, by any means, but he seems like a solid backup. You don't expect much out of him, but he won't just throw the game away with boneheaded picks. Considering some of the trash I've seen playing around the league, you could do worse than him.

Top Bottom