Michael Sam would have had four offers if undrafted

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Michael Sam Strikes Reality Show Deal

... With Oprah

5/14/2014 3:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Sam is getting the Lindsay Lohan treatment ... as in, the openly gay football player is getting his own reality show on Oprah's TV network ... reps at OWN confirm.

The show -- produced by the same people who did Lindsay's show -- will chronicle Sam's journey into the NFL ... and we're told Sam has already been taping the show for weeks.

In fact, we're told Oprah's crew was in the room when Sam learned he had been drafted by the St. Louis Rams ... and clearly knew his big celebratory kiss with his BF would make for great reality television.

Oprah issued a statement saying, "We are honored that Michael is trusting us with his private journey in this moment that has not only made history but will shape it forever."

Unclear when the series is set to debut -- or how the Rams feel about the situation.
---------------------

I'd cut the guy.

Diva. For realz.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Well, people were saying the whole cake in the face thing and tongue kissing looked staged.

Now we know.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well, people were saying the whole cake in the face thing and tongue kissing looked staged.

Now we know.
Yeah there has been a master scheme from the time he first announced he was coming out. I suspected it then and I am more convinced now.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I never saw it. Someone shoved cake in someone's face? Like at a wedding reception? Good Lord.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I never saw it. Someone shoved cake in someone's face? Like at a wedding reception? Good Lord.
Yeah, Sam shoved cake in his little white boy's face, then proceeded to kiss it off him.

Some good ol' made for TV soft gay pr0n for our viewing pleasure.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, Sam shoved cake in his little white boy's face, then proceeded to kiss it off him.

Some good ol' made for TV soft gay pr0n for our viewing pleasure.
I read his twink's grandfather was a Mob boss.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Teammate has concerns about Michael Sam’s reality show

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 15, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT

Not everyone in the Rams’ locker room is on board with rookie Michael Sam getting his own reality show.

On Wednesday it was announced that Sam, the NFL’s first openly gay player, will be the subject of a show on the Oprah Winfrey Network. On Thursday, an unnamed Rams player told Josina Anderson of ESPN that the show could become an issue.

“It’s an interesting case that he gets to work with Oprah and have his own show, but I think it does raise eyebrows and it may be somewhat of a distraction,” said the player, who was speaking on condition of anonymity. “But this is our first time dealing with something like this, so we’ll have to wait and see how it plays out and how people react.”

Publicly, everyone on the Rams who has expressed an opinion about Sam has been supportive. But the same player said that privately, some players may just be expressing political correctness, rather than giving their honest views about having Sam on the team.

“Clearly I’m not sure how everyone feels, but from what I can tell so far I think it’s a little bit of both, honestly,” he said.

If players have a problem with Sam’s sexual orientation, that’s their problem. But if Sam is alienating teammates with a perception that he’s trying to make himself a star while everyone else is simply trying to make the roster, that could be a problem for him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
At first I was thinking...this guy is pretty much a trail blazer coming out, but now it looks like fame is first, playing football second. The Rams got way more than they bargained for.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
At first I was thinking...this guy is pretty much a trail blazer coming out, but now it looks like fame is first, playing football second. The Rams got way more than they bargained for.
Bad thing is they are going to have to deal with him until the preseason starts and he shows he can't play. They cut him now, they have an assload of problems.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's what I'm thinking now. At first I was all good for him, and with his comments and now this, I'm not so sure his motivation is in the right place.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bad thing is they are going to have to deal with him until the preseason starts and he shows he can't play. They cut him now, they have an assload of problems.
It's going to piss me off when if they cut him they have to suffer fallout. He's just another damn player. He shouldn't be treated with kid gloves. But, I know you're right. The media will roast them.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is a terrible place for him to land. The Rams are pretty loaded at DE. I like Fisher quite a bit, but he looked pretty happy at the first press conference. He clearly liked the attention that they were the trend setters for this type of thing.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Michael Sam receiving backlash from teammates and media for documentary on Oprah Winfrey's network

By Anwar S. Richardson3 hours agoShutdown Corner

Michael Sam’s reality show is not on air yet, but the reviews have been bad so far.

Sam is attempting to become the first openly gay player to play in the NFL. He was recently a seventh-round pick by the St. Louis Rams. Sam repeated his desire to be known as a football player, not his sexual orientation, after he was selected.

However, Sam contradicted himself by agreeing to let OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network, produce a multi-part documentary series on his life. According to a press release, the cameras "will follow Sam as he works to earn his spot on the St. Louis Rams all while under the intense scrutiny of being the first openly gay player in the NFL."

As expected, Sam’s new teammates are not happy with the rookie’s decision to have cameras invade their locker room.

"It's an interesting case that he gets to work with Oprah and have his own show, but I think it does raise eyebrows and it may be somewhat of a distraction," an anonymous Rams player told ESPN's Josina Anderson. "But this is our first time dealing with something like this, so we'll have to wait and see how it plays out and how people react."

In addition, the player told ESPN he was unsure if teammates are truly embracing Sam or trying to be politically correct.

"Clearly I'm not sure how everyone feels, but from what I can tell so far I think it's a little bit of both, honestly," the player told ESPN.

Sam’s decision to participate in a reality show has been heavily criticized by NFL observers.

CBSSports.com’s Gregg Doyel compared Sam’s overexposure to Tim Tebow. However, Doyel does not believe Tebow asked for the publicity, but says Sam is seeking attention:

Michael Sam? He's doing some of it to himself. Certainly noise was going to happen around Sam regardless, even if he hadn't kissed his boyfriend after being drafted, live on ESPN and then in a picture posted to Twitter of him kissing his boyfriend's cake-smeared face. Michael Sam is the first openly gay player in the most popular sports league in this country: He doesn't need any help generating noise.

In addition, Deadspin.com ripped Sam's decision on Thursday:

He is another packaged product being sold to us at heavy markup—commodified smarm at best, and at worst something downright cynical, something that leverages real emotions in service of a marketing strategy. No one wants to find out that Lou Gehrig's farewell speech was copywritten by a dude at Pfizer.

ESPN columnist Jason Whitlock, a supporter of Sam, recently changed his opinion about the football player:

It all feels orchestrated now: the draft-day kiss; the cake-covered face; the tears; the celebration that conveniently captured just Sam, his boyfriend and his two agents; and even the "Stand with Sam" T-shirts selling onmichaelsam.com.

Who knew a reality TV show was being filmed? Who knew Sam's agents (Cameron Weiss and Joe Barkett) and publicist (Howard Bragman) had cut deals to be producers on the reality TV show?

This is all scripted and amateur. And devious, too.

Sam said he wanted to be accepted as a football player, but there are no other seventh-round picks garnering this much attention, or threatening to show up during team workouts with cameras. Even Johnny Manziel has been quiet since the NFL draft.

If Sam wants to play in the NFL, he may have to reconsider participating in the documentary.

If not, he will be recognized for all the wrong reasons.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Piss on him. At first, I was hoping he'd have a smooth transition into the NFL, and even do well.

Now, I hope he is cut and fades away. Quickly.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Piss on him. At first, I was hoping he'd have a smooth transition into the NFL, and even do well.

Now, I hope he is cut and fades away. Quickly.
He was a flim flam from the start.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
It makes it makes it very apparent he is no different from a lot of other gays in any walk of life. It isn't about being accepted for the talent you have it's about pushing your gayness and way of life into the fore and putting it right in everyone's face and expecting special treatment for it. Had he truly wanted equality and a fair chance, he would have kept his mouth shut, got drafted and earned a spot and then come out while he was a successful. That would have made a more meaningful impact in my opinion. Now we all know he knew he wasn't gonna make it on his own without the publicity for being gay and it was about special treatment and self-promotion.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't agree with the all young gays stuff...Sam is an exception to me. Hell, Murray had his GF sucking his face before he got drafted, so it goes both ways.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Sneaky way to cash in. He'll probably make more from this deal that he would have made sitting on a practice squad for a year or two and falling out of the league. He'll probably come out with a book too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sneaky way to cash in. He'll probably make more from this deal that he would have made sitting on a practice squad for a year or two and falling out of the league. He'll probably come out with a book too.
All of this is probably lined up but for any of it to happen he will have to make some sort of splash playing football. If he gets cut right away then it will tip the strategy a completely different direction. All the show biz stuff will not hold up and all he will have left is lawsuits for discrimination. The entertain moguls will drop him and he will become a gossip column target for all the entertainment scandal shows. He has to become a player with the show biz frills or become a litigant and target.

Top Bottom