Watkins: DeMarco Murray can't slow down

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeMarco Murray can't slow down
October, 27, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

DeMarco Murray can’t have a disappearing act right now as the NFC race begins to heat up.

The NFL's leading rusher at 913 yards has been outstanding this season, and current and former teammates thought a stretch such as this was always in Murray's DNA.

With Arizona knocking off Philadelphia in the desert on Sunday and all of a sudden the New Orleans Saints looking pretty good again after that waxing of the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night, things are getting a little interesting in the NFC.

Murray and the Cowboys host Washington on Monday Night Football at AT&T Stadium and this is no time for a bad game, especially when the nation is checking to see if you’re really for real.

The Cowboys are for real.

Probably the best team in the NFC, whatever that’s worth at this stage of the season, but Cowboys have morphed into a run-first unit in the first two months of the season and Murray has benefited. He’s an MVP candidate, with a Pro Bowl berth a certainty. A new contract, whether he gets franchised or not, also will happen in 2015.

A bad game can’t happen now.

Murray is human, yet he has produced a superhuman effort. He has carried the ball at least 25 times four times this season and is doing a wonderful job reading his blocks and keeping his footwork when the holes aren't there so he can fall forward and get those junk 2- and 3-yard gains.

The big question for Murray is durability. He sprained an ankle in last week’s victory over the New York Giants and downplayed it. But he has yet to play 16 games and regardless if you like Joseph Randle, the Cowboys can’t afford to lose Murray.

For as strong as Murray has been, he has proven to be more valuable to this offense next to Tony Romo. Murray has even surpassed his buddy Dez Bryant on the depth chart of importance. Bryant is a close No. 3 with Jason Witten not too far behind.

You can add up all the numbers each week and compare Murray to Jim Brown and Eric Dickerson and Adrian Peterson and Larry Johnson and wonder how long will this streak last?

It’s not about 100 yards for Murray it’s making sure the offense continues to set the tone with the run game. If Murray gets 85 yards on Monday night and the Cowboys win, that’s fine.

If Murray gets 26 yards and they lose, well, that better not be the start of a trend.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I think he ends up with about 26 carries for 130 yards tonight.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think he ends up with about 26 carries for 130 yards tonight.
I hope Dallas has a comfortable lead after Murray has about 17 carries for 125 yards and they let someone else finish or allow Romo to scrimmage with his receivers the rest of the game.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
All this national talk of the Cowboys being the best team in the NFC, and a major contender, is really scaring the piss outta me.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
All this national talk of the Cowboys being the best team in the NFC, and a major contender, is really scaring the piss outta me.
Better get earplugs. I am loving it. Folks who previously took every opportunity to gouge the club are now forced to say glowing remarks. It's wonderful.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
Better get earplugs. I am loving it. Folks who previously took every opportunity to gouge the club are now forced to say glowing remarks. It's wonderful.
I agree, it's wonderful. But a big part of me hates it because I have that feeling that we are going to fall flat on our ass sometime soon.

My first full season of Cowboys football that I experienced was in 1995 (10 years old), so as you can probably tell, I've been brought up to expect failure from this team.

I think we all can recognize a noticeable difference in the way the team plays. I just pray it stays this way.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I hope Dallas has a comfortable lead after Murray has about 17 carries for 125 yards and they let someone else finish or allow Romo to scrimmage with his receivers the rest of the game.
That doesn't happen too often with Slurs games these days.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree, it's wonderful. But a big part of me hates it because I have that feeling that we are going to fall flat on our ass sometime soon.

My first full season of Cowboys football that I experienced was in 1995 (10 years old), so as you can probably tell, I've been brought up to expect failure from this team.

I think we all can recognize a noticeable difference in the way the team plays. I just pray it stays this way.
Even in those years before ( the glory days) Dallas lost several games. This team will also have some losses but that's football. The Ponit being right now Dallas appears to be a top flight team that can compete with almost any other team. They haven't been that far off before but have been a disappointment.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dude, we're at the halfway point of the season. When do you suggest people start to realize this shit is real and has
real potential? December maybe?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

We all are suffering from the abusive relationship with this team.

We have consistently got our nuts kicked up to our chins as soon as people start believing.

The big issue is not how we feel, but rather the team.

If they can shut out the noise and remain humble, there is a chance to have a special year.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
Dude, we're at the halfway point of the season. When do you suggest people start to realize this shit is real and has
real potential? December maybe?
Ummmmm, yes. At the earliest.

Top Bottom