Machota: Scott Linehan - Dallas Cowboys are going to lean more on DeMarco Murray

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What LT said. Jerry probably didn't consider the cyst thing very serious. The surgery that ended Romo's season was for reals back surgery and Jerry should remember going down that road with Troy.
He will protect his investment.
Yeah, again, I will believe it when I see it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Our OL, if utilized properly, has the potential to be the type of dominant unit that can lift an otherwise generally mediocre team to 11 or 12 wins like Carolina's DL did last year.

Look at Carolina's roster last year, their WR's were shit, their TE's were shit, their RB's were shit, their OL was average to above average, their secondary was average and their LB's outside of Kuechly were average.
Their TE's were very underrated and a big part of their continuing drives and getting Cam in position to make a play. I also think their OL was very good last year.

Oh yeah, their coach didn't constantly hang them out to dry with terrible play-calling.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Their TE's were very underrated and a big part of their continuing drives and getting Cam in position to make a play. I also think their OL was very good last year.

Oh yeah, their coach didn't constantly hang them out to dry with terrible play-calling.
You keep using "TEs" plural. Who is this second TE that is so kick butt besides Olson? You referring to Tolbert?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, again, I will believe it when I see it.
All signs point that way. First round pick an O lineman. Failure to draft another QB indicates Jones has put all his marbles in Romo being healthy. The new OC making pronouncements about the running game. It appears to me like the marching orders have been given.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All signs point that way. First round pick an O lineman. Failure to draft another QB indicates Jones has put all his marbles in Romo being healthy. The new OC making pronouncements about the thing game. It appears to me like the marching orders have been given.
This is the same guy who was expecting a banner year from a healthy Jay Ratliff at this time last year.

It wouldn't be the first time the gravity of an injury has been miscalculated.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is the same guy who was expecting a banner year from a healthy Jay Ratliff at this time last year.

Maybe so but it appears Jones has geared things to full Romo protection because he has a lot riding on him staying upright.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Not just that, they actually laughed at the people that dared to question them about the dline. Kind of like they are doing with safety now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You keep using "TEs" plural. Who is this second TE that is so kick butt besides Olson? You referring to Tolbert?
I do mean Olson, just like in Dallas "TE's" means Witten, though multiple players play the position. Bottom line Olson either lead the team in catches or was close to it.

Speaking of Tolbert, the Panters actually throw to their fucking backs, and man can DeAngelo Williams move the chains when they do. I'd expect to see him get more catches in spread formations. The threat of Newton running makes that offense very unpredictable.

junk

Not So New Member
Last year, they drafted Escobar because they were going to a two TE offense. I think I could dig up a quote from Garrett every year talking about running more. Linehan, outside of his first couple of years in the NFL, has never really run the ball. Neither has Garrett for that matter. Plus, as someone else said, they give Romo the option to check out of the run anyway.

I'd love to see it. Protect your defense, lean on your OL, use play action and take your shots down field (which Linehan loves). I just don't think they can help themselves and they'll get pass happy again.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Where is Callahans warm corpse in this f'ed up mix ?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The defense is going to have to be considerably better this year. The only way I see this offense leaning on Murray/the run game more this year is if they have and maintains more leads. Then...maybe, but I still have my doubts based on what we've seen the past several seasons.

hstour

Brand New Member
The defense is going to have to be considerably better this year. The only way I see this offense leaning on Murray/the run game more this year is if they have and maintains more leads. Then...maybe, but I still have my doubts based on what we've seen the past several seasons.
It would be hard for the defense to be anything less than better this year if they can maintain some sort of health. And they do have better depth if the injury bug should hit them again. At least the street players they would first look at would be guys that went through camp with them....

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the D-line will be much better if for no reason then I think we will have much better depth and youth this year. I see no reason why Melton won't be back to his probowl caliber form. I'm very excited for Lawrence. With Selvie, Spencer and Mincey we should be able to find some good run stoppers for the LE spot. I expect a couple of the seventh round picks to potentially make the roster and provide excellent depth.

My real concern on defense is still the secondary. Obviously the D-line could still be better but I'd say it is much better looking then the mash unit of last year.

Daillest88

Brand New Member
Garrett just needs to use his head and stop outsmarting himself. The lions games all he had to do was take a knee but decided to run. Then the packers game he decided to throw when up by 20+ points and Murry was running all over them. Demarco regardless him missing games last year could have been a 1400 yard back. He honestly can be our MVP if we run and he stays healthy, keeping our defense off the field is key.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It would be smart to lean more on Murray but I will believe it when I see it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd love to see it. Protect your defense, lean on your OL, use play action and take your shots down field (which Linehan loves). I just don't think they can help themselves and they'll get pass happy again.
The only thing worse for your defense than going three and out offensively is turning the ball over on your own side of the field.

Pass-happy == risky shots that take no time and chew up downs. Even when you score, you're putting your D right back onto the field.

Top Bottom