Sturm Chat

Jiggyfly

Banned
Bob Sturm: I’d franchise DeMarco Murray next spring … unless this unlikely event occurred
By Bob Sturm sturm1310@aol.com
6:00 pm on October 23, 2014 | Permalink
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/bob-sturm-id-franchise-demarco-murray-next-spring-unless-this-unlikely-event-occurred.html/

The Ticket’s Bob Sturm answered Cowboys questions in a chat Wednesday. Here are some highlights.

Question: How long before opponents limit runs and throw, throw and throw again?

Bob Sturm: I expected that to happen against the Seahawks and the Giants. If those two teams – who both have formidable to excellent front 7s – cannot force the Cowboys out of running, then the sky is the limit. The Cardinals will test this soon and Jim Haslett always has some wrinkles.

Question: Great stuff, Bob, as always. You’ve looked at this before, but I’m wondering if this is more Linehan’s play-calling or Callahan’s not play-calling?

Bob Sturm: I will be honest, I feel uncomfortable saying anything definitively about Bill Callahan’s job responsibility in 2013. At best, he was calling plays that were designed by Jason Garrett. At worst, Jason Garrett was calling the plays. So, either way, Callahan did not have the trust nor autonomy that Linehan enjoys. That said, Scott Linehan has used a ton of creativity, variety, and commitment to make this offense into an overnight juggernaut. it is remarkable.

Question: Who is our next O-line backup after Parnell, and should we be concerned?

Bob Sturm: I imagine, Tony Hills would be the next tackle if Doug Free is still out. However, if you lost Free and Parnell for an extended period of time, I am betting Martin would kick out to RT and Mac Bernadeau would slide back to RG. Let’s avoid that, but that is what I am thinking.

Question: How much impact if Murray goes down? Can Williams run (if not pass protect)?

Bob Sturm: A significant impact. Murray is remarkably solid and complete. I think they would be able to get by, but everything would be affected. Ryan Williams can run well, and I assume he would be the full-time back if Randle did not take it and run right away. But, they need Murray to play 14 games.

Question: Is this a bad season for the Cowboys to go overseas? I think that disrupts the good thing going.

Bob Sturm: Is there ever a good time to go play internationally? Not in the regular season. Routines are greatly upset. But, it is what it is. They should be able to deal with Jacksonville on the moon.

Question: Have Cowboys proven they don’t mind the prime time spotlight anymore?

Bob Sturm: All of those narratives are just ways to ask are the Cowboys mediocre anymore. I think a good team can always handle things better than a mediocre team. They are now a good team, I believe. Shocking, but true.

Question: Would you say the difference between this Cowboys team and one in recent past is their ability to play their best football in the 2nd half? Compared to previous years where they would start strong and fizzle out in the fourth.

Bob Sturm: That is certainly the characteristic that you want. You want the 4th Quarter to be where you have worn down your opponent and they want the game to end while your big guys run them over repeatedly. That reminds you of 1995 and the Cowboys OL, right? Also, the previous Dallas teams would fade as the months changed due to attrition with injuries. Let’s see if they can erase that trend, too. But, don’t forget their schedule is certainly backloaded this year.

Question: What would you rather do: Pay Murray 4 yrs at 45 million with 20 mill guaranteed and the option to get out of the last year OR spend your first round draft pick on Todd Gurley if he fell to you.

Bob Sturm: I would have to decide on Murray before I knew if Gurley would fall to me. Also, Gurley would not fall to a team that might draft really, really late in Round 1. So, I would love to replace DeMarco with Gurley, but given what I can control, I would franchise Murray next spring for 1 year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Question: Aside from Philly, Arizona and Indy, what’s the most problematic game left on the Cowboys’ schedule?

Bob Sturm: At Chicago and At New York better be on that list, too. This is the NFL, so let’s be smart enough not to put anything in the win column prematurely. For some reason, the London game gives me a little odd feeling.

Question: I love how the Cowboys are playing, but i also feel like they needed some really special plays at critical times to get to 6-1. Amazing throws and catches and timely turnovers…the margin is thin in these games. Could easily have 3 or 4 wins and be middle of the pack.

Bob Sturm: I guess it does come down to a play here and there like 3rd and 20 against Seattle. However, very few of these games do not pass the scorecard test. That is, like a boxing match, what would impartial judges say when asked to score the game based on who had the better advantage for more of the game. From that standpoint, most of these wins seem to be games that the Cowboys generally controlled, in my opinion.

Question: Do you think part of the reason we are finally succeeding is Garrett’s influence on the team is starting to come through in year 4?

Bob Sturm: I think Jason Garrett must share in some of the credit. I have a hard time quantifying that credit, because if I was Jerry, I would have fired Jason Garrett after the 2012 season. But, Jerry stuck with him and now it appears that Jason will have the job for many more years as an extension is inevitable. It is clear he has benefited big time from passing off play-calling and being able to focus more on his job as the leader of the team on the sideline and a more macro approach to the job. Play-calling for a coach is just such a big responsibility that it seemed to hinder his entire job.

Question: What should we expect from Lawrence?

Bob Sturm: DeMarcus Lawrence is a very explosive player. He is not that big so he may be a passing downs edge rusher to begin with, but I am excited to get a DE pass rush threat into the mix. I profiled him redraft here:

Question: Michael Sam was worth taking a look at, right? Seems many are acting like it was publicity stunt or money grab for merch, but neither fit the true story here.

Bob Sturm: I guess I have a hard time knowing how to characterize this story. Honestly, given the issues on the DL when September was around, I was fine with them giving him a try, but I also knew from the draft work that he was a very famous player, but also was a classic NFL roster fringe guy. It would be crazy to say he has no chance of ever being a player in the league, but it would also be crazy to not recognize his obvious limitations. I have no idea what to expect next in his career, but the Cowboys who clear $300m a year in profit, do not need money grabs.

Question: Who is our current number-three wide receiver? It seems like Harris has been inconsistent but Beasley hasn’t gotten many targets. I’m not complaining with Dez and Williams lighting it up. Just curious.

Bob Sturm: Complicated answer because #3 can mean different things. If you are asking who is the best fit when they want to have 3 WRs on the field right now, I would say it is absolutely Cole Beasely. His work on 3rd Downs has been very strong and he is a real weapon against teams with depth issues as attrition takes over in the 2nd half of a season. On the other hand, who would most likely substitute in the event of an injury to 88 or 83, well then that would be Devin Street, I assume. Harris is useful and has some packages designed for him, but it seems that PR and KR are his main gigs, and some change up opportunities at WR where he is a very good blocker.

Top Bottom