Machota: Romo explains how he determines if he can play through an injury

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tony Romo explains how he determines if he can play through an injury
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
5:04 pm on October 23, 2014

IRVING – Tony Romo has played through a fractured rib and a punctured lung. He finished last season’s Week 16 game against Washington despite having a herniated disk in his back.

So how does the Dallas Cowboys quarterback determine if he’s too injured to get back on the field?

“If you can walk and you’re not injured enough to – if it’s not broken basically or not to the point where you can’t go, I think you play,” Romo said on a Thursday conference call with reporters in Washington. “You may not be at your best but you are able to go and help your football team and that’s usually what I have done over the years. If I can stand up and walk and do those things, usually I am going to play.”

How does Romo go about managing his time during the week when he’s dealing with an injury?

“I think you just do everything you can,” Romo said. “You film study, you wear that out. You wear out meeting time. You go through walkthroughs. You mentally stay in everything that you are doing. Then when you do go practice, you just have to stay in it mentally and then physically you have got to go perform.

“I always felt like it was always a joy – a great thing to be able to practice. It’s not the grind it is sometimes for other guys because of what you have to put your body through in the National Football League. For me, it was always almost like going to open gym or something where you are able to go compete and try to win each day. I’ve always loved the way that practice feels.”

Top Bottom