Shazier at 16

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So it's basically confirmed that we were going to take Shazier at 16 if he was there over Martin. Let's assume we don't trade up for Lawrence in the 2nd and keep our 3rd in that case.

It's also rumored that we nearly traded up into the back end of the 3rd, presumably for Trai Turner.

So the question is, which would everybody prefer out of our first 3 picks, Martin/Lawrence or Shazier/Jernigan, Crichton or Ealy/Turner?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't fully follow you, but I'd rather have Martin/Murphy/Sutton/Yankey for our first four picks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't fully follow you, but I'd rather have Martin/Murphy/Sutton/Yankey for our first four picks.
I'm assuming if we take Shazier in the first we don't move up as aggressively for Lawrence in the 2nd because we've somewhat addressed the defense, and with our 3rd we take Turner since we apparently nearly traded back up for him anyway.

So that leaves us with Shazier/one of the DL prospects at 47/Turner or Martin/Lawrence.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm assuming if we take Shazier in the first we don't move up as aggressively for Lawrence in the 2nd because we've somewhat addressed the defense, and with our 3rd we take Turner since we apparently nearly traded back up for him anyway.

So that leaves us with Shazier/one of the DL prospects at 47/Turner or Martin/Lawrence.
I don't want any part of Shazier. I think we dodged a damned bullet unless he was going to be the MLB and push Lee out to WLB.

Would you take any of the above over Martin/Murphy/Sutton/Yankey ?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't want any part of Shazier. I think we dodged a damned bullet unless he was going to be the MLB and push Lee out to WLB.

I wouldn't have wanted Shazier as a MLB and I think he'll be a bust in Pittsburgh. I was very surprised they took what really amounts to a 4-3 WLB and are plugging him into a 3-4.

He's fast and can run. But he misses tackles and can get run over.

Said it on draft night, the Steelers saved us from our ourselves.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I wouldn't have wanted Shazier as a MLB and I think he'll be a bust in Pittsburgh. I was very surprised they took what really amounts to a 4-3 WLB and are plugging him into a 3-4.

He's fast and can run. But he misses tackles and can get run over.

Said it on draft night, the Steelers saved us from our ourselves.
I don't get him in Pitt. They like big tough players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't get him in Pitt. They like big tough players.

Yep. Doesn't look like a Steeler. At all.

I guess the allure is that the AFC North is not exactly a "fast" division and like the Big 12, he will be one of the faster guys on the field. That's where he had good games, against slower opponents. But when a fast team like Clemson attacked him, he looked like an average guy.

Should be interesting to see how he hangs in physically.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I'd prefer what we ended up with over the scenario that I laid out, I'd take your group over what we actually did although I'm not a Murphy fan in the 2nd. If it was up to me it would've been Zack Martin/Jernigan/Kareem Martin/Telvin Smith.

Yankey would've been my 2nd choice in the 4th though.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pretty easy for me. I wanted no part of Shazier at all. The one time that I actually rooted for Pittsburgh.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
1) OL Zack Martin
2) DT Timmy Jernigan
3) DE Kareem Martin
4) OLB Telvin Smith

Those would have been our best choices, unless Yankey instead of Smith.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
1) OL Zack Martin
2) DT Timmy Jernigan
3) DE Kareem Martin
4) OLB Telvin Smith

Those would have been our best choices, unless Yankey instead of Smith.
You put Telvin Smith instead of the wasted choice of Hitchens and the complexion of this draft changes dramatically for me.

And not just because Smith was a favorite of mine. In think he's skilled enough to threaten Carter for the WOLB job, not just be a shined up version of Orie Lemon.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You put Telvin Smith instead of the wasted choice of Hitchens and the complexion of this draft changes dramatically for me.

And not just because Smith was a favorite of mine. In think he's skilled enough to threaten Carter for the WOLB job, not just be a shined up version of Orie Lemon.
Yeah, me too. Give me those four plus the rest of our draft and I'm giving us an A.

Instead, I give us a C or C-. It's a two player difference and that's a HUGE deal to the complexion of our front 7 in the next season or two.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The only grade that matters is how well the players develop.

But the drafting skill of this organization is just bad. They just can't help themselves.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The only grade that matters is how well the players develop.

But the drafting skill of this organization is just bad. They just can't help themselves.
Careful. You are sounding like me.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think what Simp is asking is would you prefer our actual draft versus what we probably would've done had we been able to select Shazier.

obviously you'd prefer your own picks.

data

Forbes #1
With Martin, it's a lock that we'll get one decade-long starter. The other options - maybe not.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think what Simp is asking is would you prefer our actual draft versus what we probably would've done had we been able to select Shazier.

obviously you'd prefer your own picks.
Yea that's basically it, we may have still traded for Lawrence but I could see the thought process being that we already upgraded the defense a bit and might be willing to sit back a bit more at 47. We also apparently loved Turner so I assume he'd be our pick in the 3rd if we hadn't addressed OG.

I do appreciate smitty for posting the exact same 4 guys that I posted earlier though.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yea that's basically it, we may have still traded for Lawrence but I could see the thought process being that we already upgraded the defense a bit and might be willing to sit back a bit more at 47. We also apparently loved Turner so I assume he'd be our pick in the 3rd if we hadn't addressed OG.

I do appreciate smitty for posting the exact same 4 guys that I posted earlier though.

I agree and they might not have drafted Hitchens either. I actually might have preferred that honestly. I don't love Shazier but he's certainly better than Hitchens. We'd still get a good OL prospect plus whoever else they pick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I got your back, bro.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Clearly Shazier is a better LB than Hitchens, though if they truly thought Shazier could move inside, they are out of their minds. Shazier is a WLB, and you waste him in the middle or at SAM. In that sense, Hitchens is a better option to fill in for Lee. I suspect we will have the chance to find out just how he performs in that role.

Martin is better than Turner. While both could be starting guards this year. Martin's value increases with the assumption he will replace Free and perform well there, too.

Lawrence vs Jernigan, Crichton or Ealy - I think we made the right call on this one, and for the right reasons. I am not convinced that Jernigan, Crichton or Ealy are special. Crichton and Ealy are fine, solid, try-hard but ultimately non-spectacular, non-special guys. Jernigan flashes, but with his inconsistency, lack of ideal measurements, and reported drug flag, I can't fault us for choosing the guy that we perceived to have the quick-twitch ability we covet for a RDE.

The path we took addressed guard, RDE, and back-up MLB.
The path we could have taken would have addressed WLB (creating somewhat of a logjam there), non-premium DL, and guard.

I think I'm okay with what we did.

Top Bottom