NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Minnesota takes 2 of 3 in Detroit.

Rolling towards .500

:fistpump

D

Deuce

[h=1]Jose Fernandez may be done for year[/h]
The Miami Marlins believe ace Jose Fernandez will need season-ending elbow surgery, National League sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Fernandez was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right elbow earlier Monday, manager Mike Redmond announced. Fernandez will return to Miami for further evaluation as the Marlins await more results from today's MRI in Los Angeles.

A bevy of pitchers have been diagnosed with torn elbow ligaments, requiring Tommy John surgery, since the start of spring training, including Braves right-handers Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy and Cory Gearrin; Diamondbacks ace Patrick Corbin; Athletics starters Jarrod Parker and A.J. Griffin; Rays All-Star Matt Moore, Yankees starter Ivan Nova, Padres starter Josh Johnson, Mets closer Bobby Parnell; Royals setup man Luke Hochevar; Tigers reliever Bruce Rondon; and Pirates top prospect Jameson Taillon.

Matt Harvey
and Stephen Strasburg are other All-Stars who have had the ligament transplant operation that can take 12 to 18 months for recovery.

"That's probably what everyone is going to talk about and continue to talk about," Redmond said. "We've protected him. We've been consistent in how we've used him, with his workload. We've given him extra days. That's a question I don't think anybody has the answer to."

Fernandez, 21, is 4-2 with a 2.44 ERA in eight starts this season. He leads all of the majors with 70 strikeouts.

However, he was roughed up during his last outing against the San Diego Padres Friday night. Fernandez gave up six runs in five innings, including two home runs.
Fernandez's fastball averaged 94.6 mph over his first four innings against the Padres, but only 90.7 mph over his last two, according to ESPN's Stats & Information. He
allowed four runs in the sixth inning before being removed with nobody out.

"I think you're always concerned when you're talking about elbows," Rendon said. "That's something we have to wait to find out. But I think we're always concerned about that with pitchers, especially."

Last season Fernandez made 28 starts, going 12-6 with a major league-best .182 opponents' batting average. His 2.19 ERA was second in the majors behind three-time defending ERA champ Clayton Kershaw. Fernandez struck out 187 batters and was named National League Rookie of the Year.

The Marlins recalled left-hander Dan Jennings from Triple-A New Orleans. He made 79 relief appearances for the Marlins over the previous three seasons, going 3-5 with a 2.96 ERA.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

-----------------------------

It's to the point where you just know every young stud pitcher is going to require this at some point. It sucks to see the talent lose a full season + of their careers.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I wonder why the sudden outbreak in Tommy John surgeries.

Is it just from pitchers throwing a lot more than they used to? And it's not just a power pitcher thing.

It might be time for pitchers & organizations to scale back off-season programs and rest the arms a little more.

D

Deuce

Is it just from pitchers throwing a lot more than they used to? And it's not just a power pitcher thing.

It might be time for pitchers & organizations to scale back off-season programs and rest the arms a little more.
I think it's a mix of that and just being more preventative with future injuries. Teams are giving the TJ surgery for even the slightest incident now to prevent an inevitable blown elbow. After Moore was put on the DL and decided to have it, some guys on the radio were talking about how common it's becoming and you basically just need to choose as an organization "Do I want my stud to have it this year or next?" I remember they brought up Fernandez as an example of a guy who will probably get it at some point and 1 month later here he is.

dallen

Senior Tech

Cy Young pitched quite a bit, and didn't have Tommy John

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member

It's because they start these prospects at like 8 years old. they don't have any time off literally from the start of their little league careers

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Yeah, it's a real feat to shut out the punchless Mets.
Well, I guess its a good thing we're 25% through the season and he has 7 other starts against Major League teams to judge him by. Still small sample size, but it usually takes some time for the Japanese pitchers to adjust. If they're good, they're usually better their second full season than their first.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Harrison to DL with back inflammation. Really think his career is done. Perez to DL with Partial tear in elbow and may have to have the Tommy John. Offense is crap. Defense is pissy. See you Wash. Its been fun.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Harrison to DL with back inflammation. Really think his career is done. Perez to DL with Partial tear in elbow and may have to have the Tommy John. Offense is crap. Defense is pissy. See you Wash. Its been fun.
I could have gotten down with this last year and told you as much. I'm damn ready now.

Carp

DCC 4Life
To be fair to Tanaka, he's been impressive all year. 6 wins already with a 2.17 era.
The Mets aren't punchless either. We raped you the first two games, runs wise...and are 5th in the NL in RS. My fellow Mets fan has no idea what he is talking about.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Overall...I was pretty happy with Rafael Montero last night. He has good movement on his pitches and to make your first start vs the Yanks is a pretty big deal. Starting another rookie tonight with deGroom...sleeper.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The Mets aren't punchless either. We raped you the first two games, runs wise...and are 5th in the NL in RS. My fellow Mets fan has no idea what he is talking about.
You are correct, I did not know we were that high in runs.

Carp

DCC 4Life
deGroom is shutting out the Yankees right now. 3 hits over 6 innings. He is another good young arm.

Top Bottom