Jones: Romo Asked For Help Along O-line

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The sudden focus on reconstructing a top-flight offensive line wasn't all Jerry Jones' idea. Tony Romo had a hand in it, too.

Jones has a reputation for loving to take credit for almost anything that pairs the Cowboys and success. He makes the final call, so there's no doubt that he decided to take left tackle Tyron Smith, center Travis Frederick and right guard Zack Martin in the first round of three of the last four drafts.

There was a concerted effort for the offensive line to be a strong point of the team, Jones explained, because not too long ago Dallas had a stable of Pro Bowl-level maulers and knew he could build a team around them. During his weekly radio spot on 105.5 The Fan, Jones noted players like Flozell Adams, Andre Gurode and Larry Allen had been the backbone of the team in the mid-2000s. All three of those players made at least five Pro Bowls.

They had all departed by 2010, and the next season, Dallas drafted Smith ninth overall. The rest, well, it might be history — we don't know just yet.

"The idea was Tony always told me, he said 'Now Jerry, I can see the right tackle and I can make that guy miss me if the right tackle doesn’t get his block. But he said I got to have protection on my blindside … I need to feel like we’re not getting pushed around, we’re soft in the middle. That really does influence me in terms of how much I can stand in there, how quickly I can spin and turn out, so to speak,'" Jones said Tuesday. "So there’s no question we’ve been wanting to get Tony confident in what his offensive line is about.

No mention of Garrett's master plan to rebuild the ol :art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It will be spun by the spinmeister.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Nothing to spin, I'm sure Romo did ask; in fact, this isn't the first time it was reported that Romo pushed for OL help.

Doesn't change anything about Garrett either.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

Only fifteen minutes this time.

Somebody must have put a brighter bulb in the Red Signal.

data

Forbes #1
I remember jerruh gloating about 2 offseasons ago that Tony Romo afforded the ability to not concentrate on building the OL.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For clarification, what do you mean -- What is Garrett? I don't even know what your take is anymore.
I hate you right now.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
For clarification, what do you mean -- What is Garrett? I don't even know what your take is anymore.
He would drink his bathwater, mmmkkk.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
:lol

Only fifteen minutes this time.

Somebody must have put a brighter bulb in the Red Signal.
One blink if by email, 2 blinks if by text.

Top Bottom