Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
After a day or two for it to sink in, we've certainly had much worse drafts. Losing our 3rd is problematic, as is our questionable 4th. Not bad otherwise. This draft's quality hinges on Lawrence. B/B- .

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
After a day or two for it to sink in, we've certainly had much worse drafts. Losing our 3rd is problematic, as is our questionable 4th. Not bad otherwise. This draft's quality hinges on Lawrence. B/B- .
2012 was much worse.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Compared to our last ten drafts this one is probably in the top half with a chance to be top three, but this was probably the best draft class of those ten years.
So for a cowboys draft class it's certainly in the B range, but as compared to what they could have done it's in the C- range.

D

Deuce

Compared to our last ten drafts this one is probably in the top half with a chance to be top three, but this was probably the best draft class of those ten years.
So for a cowboys draft class it's certainly in the B range, but as compared to what they could have done it's in the C- range.
It could also be an A+ compared to what they could have done. We have no idea what the plan for the pick at 47 and the 3rd rounder was.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can't give any draft where they throw away two opportunities for starters a B.

Has to be a C unless you get a starter or two and a couple contributors from the 7th round. And I'll even take nickle players as "starters."

You just can't call two player drafts "above average." You need more than two players per draft or you are falling behind.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I can't give any draft where they throw away two opportunities for starters a B.

Has to be a C unless you get a starter or two and a couple contributors from the 7th round. And I'll even take nickle players as "starters."

You just can't call two player drafts "above average." You need more than two players per draft or you are falling behind.
Put it simply, if Lawrence and Martin are pro bowlers and we get one more multi-season starter it becomes at least a B draft.

I give 1998 a B (on its own merits if you forget about Randy Moss) based on Flozell and Ellis. Myers was the only other starter from that draft, but he really didn't suck. If he had been the 4th best player on the DL no one would have complained about him.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Two starters IS above average for this FO.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Two starters IS above average for this FO.
It's possible we have an average of just over 2 starters per draft for every draft since 2010.

Bryant/Lee
Smith/Carter/Murray
Claiborne/Wilber/Crawford
Frederick/Williams/Wilcox

They all have a chance to be starters.

A lot depends on if guys who struggled with the switch in defensive schemes bounce back.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We don't have the same FO that we had 10 years ago. There was a sea change in 2003.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tweets or GTFO.

Douche.

Bag.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not grading the draft versus previous drafts by this FO, I'm grading it against the rest of the league. So this FO's history doesn't mean anything.
Most teams have "two player" drafts in terms of starters. Where it segregates the good drafting from the average to bad is how you do in the later rounds, hitting on a guy here or there. What doesn't get you there is drafting a guy for a specific niche role on the roster.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Put it simply, if Lawrence and Martin are pro bowlers and we get one more multi-season starter it becomes at least a B draft.

I give 1998 a B (on its own merits if you forget about Randy Moss) based on Flozell and Ellis. Myers was the only other starter from that draft, but he really didn't suck. If he had been the 4th best player on the DL no one would have complained about him.
I dunno, I don't give the 2010 draft a B either. It produced Bryant and Lee, but nothing else that stuck. You have to do better than that even if you get Bryant and Lee. That draft producing just two players is currently hurting us. You need more than 2 players out of a draft, it's that simple.

2 players, unless it's literally Larry Allen and Emmitt Smith, just isn't good enough. So I can't give it a good enough grade.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Most teams have "two player" drafts in terms of starters. Where it segregates the good drafting from the average to bad is how you do in the later rounds, hitting on a guy here or there. What doesn't get you there is drafting a guy for a specific niche role on the roster.
Well, that's what I said...

Meaning, if we only get two starters out of the first couple rounds, we at least need those 7th rounders to yield a couple "nickle players." More than just place holder backups.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 players, unless it's literally Larry Allen and Emmitt Smith, just isn't good enough. So I can't give it a good enough grade.
That's insane. If you average 2 high end starters (Guys worth second contracts) you figure they last 10-12 years in the league and there is your starting roster. (12 x 2 =24)

If you are getting three high end starters a draft you are killing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom