Mendez: Devin Street - 'Dallas was my No. 1 choice'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pitt receiver Devin Street says he didn't want his workout with Cowboys to end: 'Dallas was my No. 1 choice'

Pitt receiver Devin Street said he had such a good workout with the Cowboys, they were his top choice for where he wanted to go.

“Going through this whole process, Dallas was my No. 1 choice,” he said. “I know I didn’t have any say in it, but just getting a feel for them, I felt like they had a lot of faith in me at the combine.”

Street, taken in the fifth round by the Cowboys on Saturday, said his belief was reinforced by a workout with Cowboys receivers coach Derek Dooley that he didn’t want to end.

“I wanted to keep going,” Street said. “I can remember him telling me to get a water break, and I didn’t want it. I wanted to show him what I was capable of and that I am going to go into a place and work hard.”

The 6-foot-2 Street, the all-time leader in receptions at Pitt, said he showed the Cowboys that he can run inside and outside routes.

“Coach Dooley had me run routes as an outside wide receiver, but then also put me in those quick, short and intermediate routes,” he said. “I ran those at Pitt as well. I can remember running a slot route and ended up stumbling a little bit because I over-strided, and Coach Dooley told me to shorten my stride up. I shortneed my stride up, and he said I ran one of the crispest routes he’s ever seen.

“He feels like I am a quick learner, and I definitely think I am. I feel like he had a great teaching technique, and I think I will do great with him as a wide receiver coach.”

Street ran a 4.52 at the combine and a 4.50 at his workout.

“Some people don’t call me a blazer. But in games, I do run past people,” he said. “I understand how to run routes, I understand tempos, and I feel like I am going to get faster as well. Getting stronger and getting into a great organization like the Dallas Cowboys, with so many capabilities and assets, I think I am going to do great with them. I can take the top off the coverage, I can run those deep routes, but I can also run those short and intermediate routes as well.”

-- Carlos Mendez

p1_

DCC 4Life
More Romo friendly-ness.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
“Some people don’t call me a blazer. But in games, I do run past people,” he said. “I understand how to run routes, I understand tempos, and I feel like I am going to get faster as well. Getting stronger and getting into a great organization like the Dallas Cowboys, with so many capabilities and assets, I think I am going to do great with them. I can take the top off the coverage, I can run those deep routes, but I can also run those short and intermediate routes as well.”
Sweet! Now do it in the NFL mfer... :golfclap

D

Deuce

“Some people don’t call me a blazer. But in games, I do run past people,” he said. “I understand how to run routes, I understand tempos, and I feel like I am going to get faster as well.
So we basically got the next Michael Irvin in the 5th round.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
4.5 isn't that slow for a decent sized WR. He seems to have long arms and legs so he probably has a second gear when he's in full stride. If his hands are as good as the scouting reports say and he can run routes he has a chance to be pretty good.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Dooley was clueless as HC of Tennessee. But one thing he was good at was recruiting WR's.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I like the pick but to be honest I'm not really expecting much out of him until year 2 or 3 in the system.

Everyone knows that the WR position is one of the harder positions to master when transitioning to the NFL.

If he's our #3 wideout I'll put him down for 35 catches, 420 yds, and 2 TDs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's a big impact for a 5th round pick.
Yeah, I think he will have a tough time contributing a lot unless somebody, God forbid, gets hurt. I don't see him challenging Williams for the number two job. He isn't going to be a slot guy either. On third down you will see Harris and Beasley.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That's a big impact for a 5th round pick.
That's only 2-3 catches per game.

Plus, I'm factoring in Romo & Garrett's passing fetish. He'll get plenty of opportunities based on that and the Cowboys running a ton or 3 receiver sets.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's only 2-3 catches per game.

Plus, I'm factoring in Romo & Garrett's passing fetish. He'll get plenty of opportunities based on that and the Cowboys running a ton or 3 receiver sets.
So what happened to the vaunted 2-TE attack?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Then after a 8 yard pass on 2nd and 9, we can wonder what the hell is the deal when we can't gain a yard for the first.
They will hand it off to Martin on a genius sneaky play and he will break loose and romp for a 3 yard gain getting the 1st down and more! :towel

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
They will hand it off to Martin on a genius sneaky play and he will break loose and romp for a 3 yard gain getting the 1st down and more! :towel
Not part of the process

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
4.5 isn't that slow for a decent sized WR. He seems to have long arms and legs so he probably has a second gear when he's in full stride. If his hands are as good as the scouting reports say and he can run routes he has a chance to be pretty good.
His best time at the combine was 4.47....thats pretty damn quick given his size.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
As a 5th rounder, his measurables aren't going to factor in games. Crisply run routes and a low drop ration get a QB's trust faster than anything.

Every drop gets amplified when you are starting out because it takes much longer to get back into a QB's good graces. If he can take on some KR's too then it will help a lot letting Harris focus on punts.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

:unsure

Top Bottom