Watkins: WR a position of strength for Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
WR a position of strength for Cowboys

May, 13, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

As it stands Tuesday, Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams are the starting wide receivers for the Dallas Cowboys.

Team officials don't believe that's a bad thing.

Bryant enters his fifth season coming off his first Pro Bowl appearance and Williams emerged as a solid No. 3 wideout behind Miles Austin and Bryant last season.

But Austin is gone, released in a salary cap move, and while coach Jason Garrett said he's open to the veteran's return, it appears doubtful.

"I think as players get older, sometimes people wait," said team executive Stephen Jones, who expressed surprise that Austin was still a free agent. "Maybe Miles hasn’t signed because he decided, ‘Hey, I’m not ready to sign yet.' Some of these guys as decided as they get older that they want to wait and look at everything, especially if there’s not an offer out there that blows them away."

The Cowboys had some interest in a veteran wide receiver during the early stages of the free-agency period, but wanted to upgrade their defensive line first.

Nate Burleson, who worked with Scott Linehan in Detroit, was on the market before signing a deal with Cleveland.

In the draft, the Cowboys selected Devin Street from Pittsburgh to compete with Cole Beasley and Dwayne Harris as a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver.

The Cowboys note Street doesn’t have blazing speed, however, he’s a good route runner and has excellent hands. Wide receivers coach Derek Dooley went to Pittsburgh to workout Street and came away impressed.

When the 2014 season starts, the Cowboys will have a very young receiving corps, which is a different vibe than we’ve seen in previous seasons.

The Cowboys have had at least one veteran in their 30s from Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton and Roy Williams. But now, things are on Bryant, who becomes the 25-year-old leader of the group.

During the voluntary offseason workouts, Bryant has been a called a vocal leader during the weight lifting and running sessions at Valley Ranch. Team officials never want to stifle a player’s voice, and Bryant is one who speaks his mind in a positive way.

This is a critical year for this group, seeing that Bryant is entering the final year of his deal and turning into one of the best receivers in the NFL.

Williams was third on the team in yards (736) and touchdowns (five) last year, and after a few rookie mistakes, proved he could become a trusted player for quarterback Tony Romo. Beasley and Harris are solid backup receivers when used properly. Harris has more value as a returner while Bealsey is a solid receiver from the slot.

And while the Cowboys are looking to get younger at many positions, wide receiver not only does so, but could be a position of strength this upcoming season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It will be interesting to see if Williams is ready for that #2 WR role.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm curious about Harris and Beasley as well and the tall skinny blazer from Mizzou we signed as UDFA.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This offense could actually use a blazer.
They've not had one since Galloway and Ismail (Glenn was close) and even then they were never able to pair the burner with a #1 guy.

That ability to clears zones and stretch the defense is a huge asset that opens everything else up.

hstour

Brand New Member
I'd expect a sophomore regression from him. But I don't think that makes him a bust. I hope he progresses but I am not expecting the moon from him. If he can just hold his own, I am happy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess them talking about bringing back Austin got the Browns interested.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I guess them talking about bringing back Austin got the Browns interested.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McShay's 2015 mock: Cowboys take WR

May, 15, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- ESPN Insider Todd McShay does not believe the Dallas Cowboys will make the playoffs in 2014 in his 2015 mock draft. In fact, he has them going 7-9.

With the 11th pick in the first round, McShay has the Cowboys selecting Southern Cal wide receiver Nelson Agholor.

Here’s what he said about Agholor:

Agholor is keeping up USC's tradition of talented wide receivers. At 6 feet, 185, Agholor has good speed and the ability to make defenders miss with the ball in his hands (eight total TDs).

I realize we have to suspend reality here and get into the Delorean to see the future, but I don’t see wide receiver being the Cowboys' top need. They will re-sign Dez Bryant at some point. They like Terrance Williams. They drafted Devin Street. Perhaps Williams does not progress as they expect. Perhaps Street is just a fifth-round pick.

But I don’t think the Cowboys can ignore the defensive line in 2015, either. If the last few years have been about rebuilding the offensive line, then doing so on the defensive line has to be need No. 1 in 2015. Anthony Spencer, Henry Melton, George Selvie and Nick Hayden are on one-year deals at present. The Cowboys hold a three-year option on Melton that guarantees him another $9 million in 2015, but he has to play at a high level to get it. If the Cowboys go 7-9 – or miss the playoffs – then perhaps they will not get everything they want out of Melton.

Some defensive linemen picked after the Cowboys in this mock first round? Shilique Calhoun, Michigan State; Devonte Fields, TCU; Randy Gregory, Nebraska; Michael Bennett, Ohio State.

Cornerback could also be an issue. Again, if we’re playing the hypothetical here, then at 7-9 maybe Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne did not pan out. Quarterback could be an issue. The Cowboys would have missed the playoffs for the fifth straight season and Tony Romo turns 35 next April. McShay had four go in this first round.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Top Bottom