Additional racist comments attributed to Clippers' Donald Sterling released

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What bothers me about James position is he wants all Sterling's out. Why does he think he can take that position only Donald made any statements.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The players are gonna have to get a dose of reality here at some point.
Yeah that's ridiculous. You can't hold the statements of one man against every single person he is related to. Hell we all probably have a family member that we wouldn't be the most proud of and certainly wouldn't stand by their opinions and views.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Arenas accepts Sterling apology; Magic fires back

Possibly sensing a need for healing, former NBA guard Gilbert Arenas made it known Tuesday that he is willing to forgive embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling for his racially insensitive comments.

Meanwhile, Magic Johnson called the situation sad and said he would pray for Sterling after the former Los Angeles Lakers guard was criticized in an interview with CNN that aired Monday night,

And Roger Mason Jr., vice president of the NBA Players' Association, said during an interview on Tuesday with "Jim Rome on Showtime" that Miami Heat forward LeBron James would lead a boycott next season if Sterling were still in place as an owner.

"If it's not handled by ... the start of next season, I don't see how we're playing basketball," Mason said. "I was just in the locker room with LeBron. ... At the end of the day, you know we have leaders. We have player reps, we've got executive committee members ... leaders of the teams, they're all saying the same thing, 'If this man is still in place, we ain't playing.'"

In the CNN interview, Sterling said he is not a racist and that he made a mistake with his remarks about African-Americans.

"I'll be the first to accept ur apology," wrote Arenas, a three-time NBA All-Star, on Instagram. "As a man who's made a mistake or two in life, I know how hard it is to look at your self in the mirror when you let so many ppl down but for anybody who can't and won't accept his apology u need to look in the mirror because were not perfect. forgiveness will destroy racism not more hatred"

After Sterling's initial remarks to a girlfriend were made public earlier this month by TMZ, Sterling was hit with a lifetime ban from the NBA for his conduct. He also is facing the possibility of a forced sale of the team that he has owned since 1980.

In the CNN interview, Sterling incorrectly stated that Johnson had AIDS and also that he was not a good role model for the community because of his past transgressions. Johnson fired back on Tuesday, defending his work and singing his own praises.

"It's very disturbing. I think when you come on, No. 1 you should have your facts straight," Johnson told TMZ. "I don't have AIDS, I have HIV. I've been living with HIV for 22 years. That's his opinion if he thinks I'm not a role model. I know the things that I've done in urban America and for people."

Johnson, in an interview set to air Tuesday night on CNN, said he has spoken with Sterling but added that he has not received an apology.

"Donald Sterling reached out to me, I took the call," Johnson told TMZ. "I'm the one, when he wanted me to go on Barbara Walters with him and try to save him and his reputation, I told him I would not go on the show with him and I told him you should seek the advice of your attorney and try to make this thing go away.

"Whether that's making a deal with (girlfriend V Stiviano) or whatever the case may be. And, No. 1, you've got to apologize not only to me but all minorities out there because you haven't apologized yet. He said, 'Oh, I'm gonna get to that. I'm gonna get to that.' Not once, even today, has he has never apologized to me or the other minorities he offended."

Arenas last played in the NBA for Memphis during the 2011-12 season. He averaged 20.7 points and 5.3 assists during his 11-year career.

In 2009, he was convicted on felony gun charges in connection with a locker-room incident while playing for the Washington Wizards. He was sentenced to a halfway house and suspended for 50 games by then-commissioner David Stern before returning to the NBA with the Orlando Magic and then going back to the Wizards.

The NBA also announced that its Advisory/Finance Committee met Tuesday afternoon via conference call and discussed recent media appearances by Sterling and his wife, Shelly Sterling. It also was updated on the hiring of Dick Parsons as Clippers interim CEO and his meeting with Clippers employees.

In addition, league spokesman Mike Bass said, the committee "reviewed the status of the charge for termination of the Clippers' ownership. The Committee will reconvene next week."

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If I was the league, I'd start fining these guys for these comments.

This is a league matter. It is not the place of the players to have any say in who owns the teams. You want to not play? You want to boycott your contracts? You have a legal obligation, so have fun handing back over all that money we paid you.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

This is a league matter. It is not the place of the players to have any say in who owns the teams. You want to not play? You want to boycott your contracts? You have a legal obligation, so have fun handing back over all that money we paid you.
I'm not sure if the league can fine the union or fine union leaders for threatening to strike. Seems like that's a labor issue.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Freedom of speech...only when convenient.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I saw a news blurb that Sterling has decided to take on the league in a legal battle. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Absolutely...he's been a train wreck since, so it'd be good TV.

D

Deuce

I saw a news blurb that Sterling has decided to take on the league in a legal battle. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
That came out a few days ago and the legal analyst on ESPN radio pretty much said that if he signed the league Constitution that prohibits certain behaviors, violated it and the punishment was within the parameters set in the Constitution, no judge will rule in his favor. Judge's don't want to challenge the agreed on rules of voluntary associations.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That came out a few days ago and the legal analyst on ESPN radio pretty much said that if he signed the league Constitution that prohibits certain behaviors, violated it and the punishment was within the parameters set in the Constitution, no judge will rule in his favor. Judge's don't want to challenge the agreed on rules of voluntary associations.
Well that is the question at hand. He counsel says he did not violate any league rules so I guess the contest is on. That's why there is courts I guess. we shall see. As I said it will be an interesting and potentially precident setting exercise.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Freedom of speech...only when convenient.
Freedom of speech only applies to government action.

The league is not a government entity and can fine it's employees just like any private employer and there is nothing hypocritical about that in the slightest.

Only someone who is a doofus would imply that there is.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

The league is not a government entity and can fine it's employees just like any private employer and there is nothing hypocritical about that in the slightest.

Your shit is getting really old. You can't be involved in any discussion whatsoever without resorting to name calling. It's fucking childish.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Your shit is getting really old. You can't be involved in any discussion whatsoever without resorting to name calling. It's fucking childish.
First of all, that is not true in the slightest. Second of all, I get it from you guys just as much as I give it, so take a look in the mirror before calling someone else a baby.

Sorry that you have a personal problem with me but I'm not breaking any rules.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
First of all, that is not true in the slightest. Second of all, I get it from you guys just as much as I give it, so take a look in the mirror before calling someone else a baby.

Sorry that you have a personal problem with me but I'm not breaking any rules.
I didn't say you were breaking any rules, just that your shit is getting old.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Earlier you did not think the league should be able to take his team away, now because players in the league are speaking out against him, you think the league has jurisdiction. Again, just pick and choose what you support to fit your argument.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Earlier you did not think the league should be able to take his team away, now because players in the league are speaking out against him, you think the league has jurisdiction. Again, just pick and choose what you support to fit your argument.
That's not picking and choosing, it is indisputable that the league has the jurisdiction to fine players (and coaches, and owners) for saying things the league does not want them to say. It happens every season in every one of the major sports in this country. And if the league simply fined the shit out of Sterling you wouldn't have heard me say jack shit on the subject, ever. I not only acknowledge that the league has the jurisdiction to fine players and owners, I support that jurisdiction.

The league taking away Sterling's ownership interest is (1) not something that happens every season; (2) not something that the league indisputably has the right to do; and (3) is still not a matter of free speech. The issue with Sterling isn't his right to speech, it's an issue of whether someone else has the right to strip away his owned property without due process in a court of law.

A better analogy to what Sterling is going through would be if I was advocating the league fining Roger Mason, banning him for life, and then trying to foreclose on his house. And in that case I would side with Mason. The league can fine him, but it can't take away stuff he owns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom