Redskins stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is their Superbowl...
Jason Hatcher: Washington fans hate Dallas more than Cowboys fans hate Washington
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
1:19 pm on October 23, 2014

IRVING – Washington defensive end Jason Hatcher is well aware of his former team’s 6-1 start.

Hatcher, who spent the previous eight seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, will face his old teammates on Monday night.

Is he surprised by their hot start?

“Not at all, Coach Marinelli, I knew from the day he got the job he was going to change things around,” Hatcher said. “I know what kind of guy he is and I knew it wouldn’t be long until those guys started playing well.

“I’m very happy with the way they’re playing. It’s very hard to win in this league and I hope they keep it going. We’re looking forward to coming down there Monday night and getting another win.”

Asked about how the rivalry is different from the other side, Hatcher said Washington fans hate the Cowboys more than Cowboys fans hate Washington.

“They really hate Dallas,” Hatcher said. “Everywhere you go, grocery store or whatever, these guys, they’re hard-nosed fans. They know their players. It’s all you hear wherever you go, man. Facebook, Twitter, whatever you’re on. They hate Dallas.

“They got signs up everywhere down here. It’ll be great for the fans to experience a great Monday night game with a big rivalry. It’s great for the fans.”

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Redskins vs. Cowboys preview
October, 24, 2014

By Todd Archer and John Keim | ESPNDallas.com

For the 16th time on “Monday Night Football,” the Dallas Cowboys will meet the Washington Redskins.

Only the Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos (17) have met on "Monday Night Football" more. The Cowboys come in with a six-game winning streak, their longest since 2007, and the Redskins halted a four-game losing streak last week.

Just looking at the records -- Cowboys 6-1 and Redskins 2-5 -- this should be an easy win for Dallas. But that is not the case in this series. Only two of the past 12 meetings have been decided by more than a touchdown.

NFL Nation reporters John Keim and Todd Archer bring you this week’s game preview:

Todd Archer: It looks like Colt McCoy will start against the Cowboys, so at least one Texas kid will make the start for Washington -- if not the one everybody expected at the start of the season in Robert Griffin III. But I want to talk RG III. When he comes back, it’s his job, but if he continues to look only so-so in his return, when do the Redskins start to wonder if he is the long-term guy?

Tony Romo's average pass attempts per game this season. The Cowboys have eased the burden off Romo with the running game this season. That doesn't mean the quarterback isn't making as much of an impact. It just means he is carrying the offense less. From his first year as a full-time starter in 2007 to 2011, he averaged 33 pass attempts per game. Last year he averaged 40 attempts per game. The last time the Cowboys ran the ball this well was in 2007, when they finished 13-3 and Romo still set what were team records for touchdowns (36) and passing yards (4,211).

John Keim: I think there’s already some wonder. There’s no doubt about his talent but he has to get a better grasp of the offense and what the coaches need from him. There was some frustration over the pace of his development this summer, especially compared to Kirk Cousins’ growth. People don’t like hearing that, but it’s the truth. However, they also have a commitment to developing Griffin, who still has a massive amount of talent -- and, as we saw two years ago, a guy who can be a major playmaker when used properly. I think he can still make plays while learning and so do they. The final half of the season will be all about his development. You can’t turn him into some robotic quarterback but he has to show some strong development if he wants them to give him a fifth-year extension in the spring. Otherwise, he’ll be playing for a new contract next season.

DeMarco Murray showed in the past that he could be a good runner, but what he’s doing now is extraordinary. I know they have an excellent offensive line, but has something changed with him as a runner? Or is he a by-product of the talent around him?

Archer: I can’t guarantee this, but I think something changed for him last Thanksgiving against the Raiders. Lance Dunbar carried 12 times for 82 yards before suffering a knee injury in the fourth quarter of the game. Murray had 17 carries for 63 yards in that game and really had left a lot of yards on the field not only in that game but in a lot of games. He wasn’t seeing things well at all. But I think seeing Dunbar perform so well he knew he needed to pick his play up. Since then he has had nine 100-yard efforts in his 11 games. Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but I think that could be something. Plus, he and running backs coach Gary Brown spent a lot of time looking at defensive fronts and how to find the softness in those fronts with the designs of the run. Runners have to feel natural. They can’t become robots. Murray has found a good blend of being natural while also understanding what the fronts will do to not only stop him but potentially help him.

Jason Hatcher had 11 sacks as a 4-3 defensive tackle last year with the Cowboys. He signed a good deal with Washington to return to 3-4 defensive end. How is he playing and do you think he will have some extra motivation entering this game?

Keim: Yes, I do. It’s always natural, as you know, for a player to play at a different emotional level against his former team. And he made it clear that he doesn’t regret signing here despite Dallas’ success. But he is playing pretty well here. He’s clearly their best defensive lineman and one of their best players overall defensively. Jay Gruden has wanted some players to take control and rattle things a little bit and there have been times Hatcher has tried to be that guy. He has three sacks, but he’s done a nice job taking on double teams and occupying blockers. He plays with some fire and they need that. My worry for him is that he’ll wear down -- he’s had a couple of nagging things -- and if that happens they’re in big trouble up front.

At what point did you say, "This team might be for real." Did you see hints of this sort of season being a possibility back in training camp?

Archer: I didn’t have that feeling at all. I still have some questions, honestly. I went into training camp thinking they would be 8-8. After camp I thought about dropping them down to 6-10 but decided to stick with 8-8. I figured the offense would be fine. There’s too much talent on that side of the ball not to be above average. I believed Scott Linehan would bring it all together after it was something of a disjointed mess in 2013 with Jason Garrett still kind of involved, Bill Callahan calling plays for a passing game he didn’t really know and Tony Romo having a large say. But what kept me from thinking anything better than 8-8 was the defense. There were many times in practice the offense just embarrassed them. There was one practice where Murray and Dunbar wouldn’t get touched until 10 yards down the field. There were few interceptions. It was beyond bad. And I didn’t think it made sense to rely a ton on Rolando McClain given his history. I’ve remained somewhat skeptical but after taking care of New Orleans, they've really opened my eyes. I think this team is just rolling with a ton of confidence right now.

People will look at the records of these teams and think it will be an easy Dallas win. I think I know better. What is it about the Cowboys, even when things are not going so well for Washington, that makes the Redskins raise their level of play?

Keim: Yeah, this one sometimes defies rational thinking. I’m guessing this rivalry from a fan’s perspective is more one-sided to the Washington, D.C., area. Players say they hear a lot about the need to beat Dallas after they sign here or when they meet fans in the offseason. I mean, it’s a constant topic they hear about when out in public. So the importance of beating them is ingrained. However, I also think it’s about how teams match up. And as inconsistent as the Redskins’ defense has been of late, it's always matched up well against that offense. The Redskins might lose, but they always play better than anticipated (it seems). Dallas’ line had enough holes that the Redskins' front could expose, whether one-on-one or with stunts (which worked well in 2012). That line is, um, slightly better now it appears. Still, the combination of that matchup and the ability to make a few plays on offense -- remember Santana Moss? -- allowed them to compete more than anticipated in some games.

Are you sold on the Cowboys’ defense? If so, why? What concerns do you have about the team overall as we near the second half of the season?

Archer: I’m not renting on the defense, but I’m not sure I’m buying, either. They don’t rush the passer well. They can have spotty moments. I just don’t know if they can handle the burden when the offense has a down game and the offense will have a down game or two. It happens to every team. But they have far surpassed the expectations I had in camp (see previous answer). Rod Marinelli is doing a great job of using the players’ strengths. It’s not that he is really flexible with what he does. He’s just really basic with what he does and that allows the players to play fast. McClain has been a revelation but so has Justin Durant. He has more tackles in five games than he had in 10 games last year. Orlando Scandrick has played at a high level. Tyrone Crawford has fit in nicely as the 3-technique, which has made Henry Melton a situational player. They haven’t missed Morris Claiborne at all. But the biggest concern is the pass rush. They have seven sacks in seven games. DeMarcus Ware has seven in Denver. They can’t get to the quarterback and they’re not a big blitz team, although Marinelli has done it more than he has in the past. They’re counting on rookie DeMarcus Lawrence to make a huge impact when he comes back from short-term injured reserve Nov. 2. It’s a lot to put on a second-rounder but they really don’t have any choice at this time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys practice report Saturday: DE Anthony Spencer participating; RT Doug Free, DE Jack Crawford out

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
11:18 am on October 25, 2014 |

IRVING — Dallas Cowboys defensive end Anthony Spencer was participating in practice Saturday at Valley Ranch. He had been taking Fridays off as he continues his comeback from microfracture surgery on his left knee.

And, today is a Friday in the Cowboys world because they’re playing on Monday Night Football this week against Washington.

Starting right tackle Doug Free (fractured right foot) and reserve defensive end Jack Crawford weren’t practicing Saturday. They haven’t practiced all week and won’t play Monday against Washington.

Rolando McClain and Justin Durant were working in practice as the Cowboys nickel linebackers, with Bruce Carter in with those two in base defense.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys’ Romo showing smarts, real backbone as Redskins pay visit
Posted Sunday, Oct. 26, 2014

BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
chill@star-telegram.com

ARLINGTON — The last time Tony Romo faced the Washington Redskins, he walked off in the most excruciating pain he’s ever known after arguably the greatest performance of his career.

It was Week 15 of last year and Romo led the Dallas Cowboys to a 24-23 comeback victory to keep them in playoff contention while playing through severe pain in his legs and back.

“Sometimes I cringe thinking about it, playing that game,” Romo said. “It’s just part of playing professional sports. You’re playing in a game and you’re hurt or banged up or whatever and you just kind of play through it.

“As a competitor you kind of feel like, ‘I’ll worry about it after the game,’ and you do everything you can. It felt like the season was on the line at the time, so you kind of lay it on the line and you let the chips fall after the game.”

Romo had to be helped on the plane and to his car afterward. He underwent season-ending surgery a few days later to repair a herniated disk.

It would be the second consecutive year in which Romo had undergone back surgery, raising questions about whether he would ever be the same again.

But 10 months later, Romo is ready to face the Redskins again on Monday night.

Not only has he recovered from the back surgery but the 34-year old Romo also is playing the best football of his career, just as he predicted in the off-season.

Romo, who has completed 148 of 214 passes for 1,789 yards with 14 touchdowns and six interceptions, is not on pace for any career numbers.

But he is as efficient and accurate as he’s even been.

And with the Cowboys (6-1) tied for the best record in the league and riding a six-game winning streak, they are considered legitimate Super Bowl contenders for the first time since 2007.

Romo has his best chance to complete his legacy and change his career narrative of all hat and no cattle by finally walking off as a winner.

“I don’t know that I can say that I’ve ever seen him play better,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. “We’ve seen him certainly do what Romo does. That is, instinctively make plays. I would agree with what Romo said in camp. Certainly over the last four or five games, he has ratified that statement.”

Romo, who already owns many of the major Cowboys passing records, leads the NFL in completion percentage (69.2). He is fourth in passer rating (104.7), fourth in yards per attempt (8.4) and fifth in touchdowns (14).

Four times this season he has had a passer rating over 100.0, including the past five games of 98.0 or better. Three times he has completed 70 percent of his passes or better.

It all has made Romo’s words in July, and what seemed like such folly then, turn prophetic.

“I think over the course of the next four or five years, you’ll see the best version of me that I’ve had throughout my career,” Romo said at the outset of training camp in Oxnard, Calif..

It didn’t help that Romo followed that statement with a training camp filled with bubble wrap. He never practiced more than two days in a row, and when he did work out, his throws were limited.

Then he was intercepted three times and appeared immobile in the pocket in a season-opening loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

But Romo’s play has improved as he’s become healthier. The shift in offensive philosophy from a pass-happy scheme in which Romo had to do everything, to a run-based attack led by NFL rushing leader DeMarco Murray and the league’s best offensive line, also has taken hold over the last six weeks.

“I think he like everybody else is just working hard,” coach Jason Garrett said. “That’s an expression we use a lot: be your best, be the best version of yourself. That’s what we try to do. We come to work every day. And Tony worked hard to come back from his injury. I think he’s gotten better and better physically as the season has worn on and certainly he’s an experienced quarterback that’s played at a very high level for a long time.

“The better the team is around you; typically the better you’re going to play at the quarterback position. So being able to run the ball as effectively as we have certainly will help the quarterback, will help the entire football team.”

Certainly, the running game has led the way for the Cowboys, but Romo is the one putting it all together. The Cowboys lead the league in third-down conversions largely because Romo is making plays when it counts the most, keeping drives alive so they can get back to running the ball.

He also has the highest passer rating in the league in the second half of games, coming off a sterling performance against the New York Giants last week when he completed 9 of 9 passes in the third and fourth quarters to complete what Jones called the best performance of his career. He completed 17 of 23 passes for 279 yards and three touchdowns for a passer rating of 135.7.

“Tony is outstanding,” receiver Dez Bryant said. “He just comes in and does what Tony does. He’s very smart. Like I said, [No.] 9 has been 9, making plays and very confident in doing it. It just goes to show you that he knows who he is. He’s a tough person. From the looks of it, the back doesn’t matter.”

The back apparently hasn’t mattered, just as Romo predicted.

The difference for Romo has been a better understanding of playing the game physically and technically from an experience standpoint.

Romo has always worked on his craft in the off-season to improve. It has all crystallized, again as he predicted it would in 2014.

“There is a sensation of understanding as you get older, perfecting your craft and getting to a point where you feel really good about something you may have found,” Romo said. “When the technical side meets with the physical side you’re able to go out and be at your best.

“I knew those things were coming into play with the throwing technique, and then add in some of the knowledge and experience and some of the things you think about in the mental part and that gives you a chance to succeed. I think I just recognized I was getting better in certain areas, some things that I changed. That’s been a positive.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I understand there is supposed to be a Native American contingency at the stadium tonight in protest of the Washington mascot name. I wonder how you will be able to distinguish them from fans?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Cowboys and Indians

Cotton

Staff member
Pondering Cowboys' 46: Same as last week
October, 27, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dare we say it? The Dallas Cowboys are healthy.

As a result, when we ponder the 46-man active roster for tonight’s game against the Washington Redskins, there is little that needs to be considered, which is always a good thing when it comes to me.

The only players missing the game because of injury will be right tackle Doug Free (foot) and defensive end Jack Crawford (calf), who have already been ruled out.

The real decisions will come in the next few weeks when the Cowboys have to make room for defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence and defensive tackles Josh Brent and Amobi Okoye on the 53-man roster. That’s another ponder for another day.

For the Redskins game, the Cowboys will welcome back Bruce Carter after a three-game absence due to a quadriceps injury. They will still dress six linebackers for the game, so rookie Keith Smith should be inactive.

The guess at the inactives is actually pretty easy.

They should be the same as last week against the New York Giants except for Carter: Dustin Vaughan, Jakar Hamilton, Free, Crawford, Smith, Davon Coleman and Donald Hawkins.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys ready for Redskins rivalry
October, 27, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys-Washington Redskins rivalry might not be what it once was, but the players still feel it.

Former Cowboy Jason Hatcher, who signed with the Redskins as a free agent in the offseason, said there is more “hate” on the Washington side of the rivalry than on the Dallas side.

But Jason Witten, who has played in 22 games against the Redskins, says the rivalry is still there.

“I think anybody who comes within each of those organizations understands,” Witten said. “It’s just really hard to explain. But there’s the passion that I think you feel from the fans and both the organizations, the owners and then of course just the game, it just seems like the atmosphere and the tempo is just at a higher level.”

Players might feel more of a rivalry with the New York Giants, but all of the NFC East games carry more intensity because of their importance to the standings. There hasn't been a repeat division winner since the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003 and ’04. The Cowboys have lost three straight season finales to the Giants, Redskins and Eagles that has kept them out of the playoffs.

“The Redskins game always seems to come down to a possession and you have to understand they're going to lay it on the line and give everything they got and you have to play a very sound and good football game to win,” quarterback Tony Romo said. “So division games are different; we know the approach we need to take.”

This will be the 16th meeting on "Monday Night Football" between the teams. Only the Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders have met more often. The Cowboys hold an 8-7 edge.

“Oh, it’s going to be loud,” wide receiver Dez Bryant said. “It better be loud. They better be loud, like really loud. It’s going to be fun. Like I said, it’s the only game shown on TV. It gets no better than that.”

Cotton

Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im all for getting the crowd into the game, but the towel is weak. :gay

Top Bottom