Redskins stuff...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout’s Eye: Grading Orakpo’s Replacement; Jackson’s Progress With Washington

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:04 AM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas – You’re very familiar with Washington’s top weapon this season – just not in this uniform.

We knew when the Redskins signed him that DeSean Jackson would be trouble teamed with Pierre Garcon. Jackson is out to the hotter start of the two, with 528 yards through seven games. He’s averaging 16 yards per reception.

You’ll also be familiar with Trent Williams, who has been a Washington cornerstone at left tackle in much the same way.

One guy you might remember from our draft coverage is rookie pass rusher Trent Murphy, who will be tasked with replacing the injured Brian Orakpo.

Let’s get into all three below:

Weapon: DeSean Jackson, WR

There is not a more explosive player on the Washington offense than Jackson, and Jay Gruden takes full advantage of his talents.

Where Jackson can hurt a defense the most is in his ability to take little plays and make them big ones. He is very similar to the types of players this defense has faced this season, such as Brandin Cooks and Percy Harvin -- those guys that line up all over the formation and catches bunch screens and get designed runs.

What makes Jackson even more dangerous over these guys is his ability to catch the ball down the field. He is a home run hitter in every sense of the word. His vertical routes do not have to do so much with technique but just pure speed. He has the ability to run right by a defender, whether he is in press coverage or off the line.

Once he gets past the defender there is clear separation. If there is a weakness to his game throughout his career, he has been inconsistent in receiving the ball. He has not always displayed the surest of hands and at times they have prevented him from making even more plays.

Nemesis: Trent Williams, OT

When Trent Williams was selected by the Redskins in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft, he was billed as the building block of the future and the man that was going to protect their quarterbacks for years to come.

Williams, much like Tyron Smith, has seen his fair share of outstanding pass rushing defensive ends in this league and has lived to tell the tale of having success against them all. Williams has always been a large man that physically appeared overweight and slow, but that has not been the case at all. He plays with outstanding foot quickness, which allows him to handle those edge rushers. He can easily kick to the outside, which puts him in perfect blocking positions.

In the running game he uses his mass and athletic ability to climb defenders. When he comes off the ball, you can feel his power and this translates into instant movement. He is consistently finishing blocks and often plays to the echo of the whistle. There is a real and present nastiness to his game, which is evident down after down. When the Redskins want to run the ball off the edge, it is more likely to come behind him than any other spot on their offensive line.

Under the Radar: Trent Murphy, OLB

In their game last week against the Titans, the Redskins lost their very talented linebacker Brian Orakpo to a pectoral injury and he is gone for the season. Taking his place is an underrated rookie out of Stanford by the name of Trent Murphy.

When I had the opportunity to study Murphy during the draft, I came away impressed with his ability not only play multiple positions in a scheme -- but also his ability to find the ball and finish plays. In a draft class full of those tweener types of players, he was the one that appeared to have the best ability to line up at several different positions and be productive at them all.

While at Stanford he played with his hand on the ground, and you still see him doing that with the Redskins. You also see him playing more on two feet, which he looks comfortable handling. He has always been a sound technique college player and that has carried over into the NFL.

Like his teammate Ryan Kerrigan on the opposite side, he is relentless to the ball, and as a blocker you have to outwork him on the play in order to stop him. Where he did have some problems in college is there were situations where he got caught on blocks and was washed in the running game due to trying to make a move.

He doesn't have the explosive edge rush ability that Orakpo has shown over the years, and that is a break for Tyron Smith. Nevertheless, he will have to account for him each and every snap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Biggest concern I have in this game is containing Kerrigan. That guy is playing extremely well this year.

And he is going against Parnell.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Biggest concern I have in this game is containing Kerrigan. That guy is playing extremely well this year.

I'd start the game leaning on Kerrigan with the run game. Parnell can work on him, with Leary pulling around to smash him once in awhile. That should take a little steam out of him.

Running right at Watt eventually wore him down. He looked spent by the 4th quarter.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life

Hopefully with Orakpo out we'll be able to continue to shade help to Parnell's side without getting burned by the likes of Trent Murphy. I hope Tyron's ankle is alright, and he holds up better than he did against JPP.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Watched the Titans-Redskins NFL Rewind after only catching glimpses of it on Sunday telecast live.

All I can say is that the Redskins are not a good football team.

At all.

In any phase.

That said, if we lose to them, "divisional game" or not, it's unacceptable.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Trent Murphy, OLB

In their game last week against the Titans, the Redskins lost their very talented linebacker Brian Orakpo to a pectoral injury and he is gone for the season. Taking his place is an underrated rookie out of Stanford by the name of Trent Murphy.

When I had the opportunity to study Murphy during the draft, I came away impressed with his ability not only play multiple positions in a scheme -- but also his ability to find the ball and finish plays. In a draft class full of those tweener types of players, he was the one that appeared to have the best ability to line up at several different positions and be productive at them all.

While at Stanford he played with his hand on the ground, and you still see him doing that with the Redskins. You also see him playing more on two feet, which he looks comfortable handling. He has always been a sound technique college player and that has carried over into the NFL.

Like his teammate Ryan Kerrigan on the opposite side, he is relentless to the ball, and as a blocker you have to outwork him on the play in order to stop him. Where he did have some problems in college is there were situations where he got caught on blocks and was washed in the running game due to trying to make a move.

He doesn't have the explosive edge rush ability that Orakpo has shown over the years, and that is a break for Tyron Smith. Nevertheless, he will have to account for him each and every snap.
I had Murphy ranked higher than DeMarcus Lawrence and we could have had him without trading up. Here's hoping I was wrong.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Watched the Titans-Redskins NFL Rewind after only catching glimpses of it on Sunday telecast live.

At all.

In any phase.

If the Giants didn't have enough to beat us, then these guys shouldn't either.....especially with McCoy at QB.

p1_

DCC 4Life

At all.

In any phase.

Trap game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stats-eye view of Cowboys-Redskins
October, 23, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- A stats-eye view of Monday's meeting between the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins thanks to the fine folks with ESPN Stats & Information:

What the fast start means: The Cowboys are off to their first 6-1 start since 2007, with all six wins coming immediately after a Week 1 loss. This is the first time the Cowboys have pulled off this unique win streak in a non-strike season in team history. In 1982, the Cowboys also reeled off 6 straight wins following a loss in their season opener, but that season was cut down to nine games. The Cowboys finished that year 6-3 and lost to the Redskins in the NFC Championship Game.

In the years where the Cowboys made the playoffs since 1992, there were four other instances when they started 6-1 and twice it ended with a Super Bowl titles.

6-1 Starts by Cowboys Playoff Teams – Since 1992
2014: ????
2007: Lost Divisional Playoff vs. Giants
1995: Won Super Bowl XXX vs. Steelers
1994: Lost NFC Championship Game at 49ers
1992: Won Super Bowl XXVII vs. Bills

Less is filling: Tony Romo can look to Troy Aikman and see that the Hall of Famer’s success was based on a run-first offense. In the four seasons where the Cowboys dominated the NFL between 1992-1995 they either had the same or fewer amount of pass attempts per game than rush attempts per game.

Cowboys Offensive Plays Per Game
Year Rushes Per Game Pass Attempts Per Game
1995* 30.9 30.9
1994 34.4 28.0
1993* 30.6 29.7
1992* 31.3 30.7
2014 33.6 30.6
* won Super Bowl

On to the next one: DeMarco Murray has broken the record for the most consecutive 100-yard rushing games to begin a season with seven straight, passing Jim Brown’s mark of six to begin the 1958 season. He has half of the record for the longest overall streak in NFL history, which is 14 set by Barry Sanders during the 1997 season. Murray has reached the mark carrying the ball at least 20 times in each of those games, which is an impressive streak no matter when it happened during a season

Most Consecutive Games with 20 Rush & 100 Rush Yards - Since 1970 Merger
9 - Larry Johnson, 2005
9 - Fred Taylor, 2000
9 - Marcus Allen, 1985-86
7 - DeMarco Murray, 2014
7 - Terrell Davis, 1998
7 - O.J. Simpson, 1972-73

Better with time: Tony Romo’s work for the season has been top-notch, but his work after halftime has been the best in the league. He leads the NFL in Total QBR (95.7) and yards per attempt (10.1) in the third and fourth quarters, plus overtime.

Romo After Halftime This Season
NFL Rank
Comp pct 71.0 2nd
Yds per att 10.1 1st
Pass TD 8 T-2nd
Total QBR 95.7 1st

I don't see much comparison between the Cowboys/Redskins, but okay...

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
6-1 Starts by Cowboys Playoff Teams – Since 1992
2014: ????
2007: Lost Divisional Playoff vs. Giants
1995: Won Super Bowl XXX vs. Steelers
1994: Lost NFC Championship Game at 49ers
1992: Won Super Bowl XXVII vs. Bills
Super Bowl, lost, Super Bowl, lost,...

:happydance

Cotton

Staff member
Jason Hatcher's influence on Tyrone Crawford
October, 23, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- As Jason Hatcher entered what turned out to be his final year with the Cowboys, he was quick to tell people the reason would be Tyrone Crawford.

Crawford was a third-round pick in 2012 and while he did not record a sack as a rookie, Hatcher believed the potential was there for him to be an every down player. The Cowboys never expected Hatcher to put up 11 sacks and earn a Pro Bowl bid last year, nor did they expect Crawford to miss the 2013 season with a torn Achilles.

When the free-agent market opened, the Cowboys did not make a real effort to keep Hatcher, but they weren't sure how Crawford would come back. It took three games for the Cowboys to move Crawford to the spot Hatcher played last year.

In the four games Crawford has posted 15 tackles, eight quarterback pressures and a tackle for loss.

The influence of Hatcher, who plays against the Cowboys Monday with the Washington Redskins, on Crawford remains strong. Crawford has a 150-play cut up of Hatcher highlights that he inspects a lot.

"Big enough I call him big brother," Crawford said. "Just the way he played, the way he came out to practice, everything he told me inside and outside about the NFL, he just helped me out a lot. The way he treated us young guys, he didn't come in and wasn't like cocky at all. He was just great to us."

It might be fitting his first sack comes this week with Hatcher on the other sideline.

"I mean at this point it's really like I need to get a sack anyways," Hatcher said.

Cotton

Staff member
Scout’s Eye: Parnell Gets Steep Test In Kerrigan; Carr & Garcon Meet Again
Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:47 AM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout
@BryanBroaddus

IRVING, Texas – The second start of Jermey Parnell’s season promises to be a little tougher than his first. With Doug Free once again out, it looks likely to be Parnell who must cope with Washington pass rusher Ryan Kerrigan, who has 6.5 sacks on the season.

That and a tough matchup for Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr are the two matchups I’m most concerned about for this Monday night tilt with the Redskins.
Cowboys Jermey Parnell OT against Redskins Ryan Kerrigan OLB

Parnell will be making another start for the injured Doug Free on Monday night. Parnell was solid last week in his performance against the Giants, both as a run and pass blocker. It took him a series or two to really lock in, but once he did he was assignment and technique sound.

Against the Redskins he will draw the difficult assignment of Ryan Kerrigan, who over the years has developed into a fine two-way player. He originally came into the league out of Purdue as a true defensive end, but he was switched to outside linebacker in this 3-4 scheme used by Jim Hasslett.

Where Parnell has to be careful in this matchup with Kerrigan is taking plays off or playing with lazy technique. If Parnell does not finish blocks, Kerrigan will find a way to make the play. His motor and effort are relentless and to beat him, Parnell must match that intensity. What Parnell must prepare for in Kerrigan, technique-wise, is a player that can play at all different angles.

Kerrigan is just not going to pound Parnell up the field all night. He is going to give him a variety of countermoves and rarely the same ones. Where Parnell has struggled in the past is playing well for several snaps in a row then having those one or two where he loses concentration and it results in a negative situation. Kerrigan will test him the entire game.
Cowboys Brandon Carr CB against Redskins Pierre Garcon WR

When studying the Redskins on offense, there are several players that concern me in the potential problems they can cause this Cowboys defense. DeSean Jackson, Jordan Reed and Alfred Morris all come to mind, but the one that is at the top of my list is Pierre Garcon.

I have always had a great deal of respect, even going back to his days with the Indianapolis Colts, for Garcon and the way that he carries himself on the field. With him there is that sense of explosive power, much like you see from Dez Bryant. He is a difficult matchup for any corner due to the fearless nature in which he plays the game.

There is nowhere he won’t go on the field to catch the ball. My concern in this matchup with Carr is that exact reason. The Redskins like to carry their receivers across the field, allowing their quarterbacks to hit them on the move looking for a run and catch. Where Carr tends to struggle the most is when he has to deal with a receiver that plays this way -- especially in man coverage.
What the Redskins also like to do with Garcon is throw the ball to him quickly and allow him to run through tacklers. This also causes problems for a defense if the corners are not willing to come forward and make a tackle. We have seen Orlando Scandrick make plays this way by forcing the issue. Garcon was able to get the best of Carr in their last meeting in 2013, but Carr was struggling with an illness so this time around he should be at full strength and ready for the challenge. This defense needs him to be ready.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Throw the records out.....

Top Bottom