Lawrence looking quick, explosive; ’Boys expect him to be a ‘significant contributor'

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
5:55 pm on October 16, 2014 | Permalink

IRVING – Defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence was back at practice for the second consecutive day on Thursday.

The Dallas Cowboys’ second-round pick isn’t eligible to play until Week 9, but he continues to work his way back to full strength after fracturing his right foot in training camp.

“Since he’s been off he has been in the weight room,” Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “He looks great. He has filled out even more. He’s had a couple of days of practice.

“He has fresh legs now. But he really looks quick and explosive. Now he has a chance over the next couple of weeks to hone in on his skills, hopefully we will get him going.”

Lawrence, who recorded 20 sacks and 34 tackles for loss in two seasons at Boise State, said Tuesday that his foot feels “excellent.”

That’s good news for a Cowboys defense that doesn’t have a player with more than 1.5 sacks through six games.

“The expectations are high,” Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones said Thursday. “You hate when a rookie misses a lot, but he’s almost like a first-round pick for us. We gave up a second and a third rounder and got him high in the second.

“Our trainers actually said it’s probably good for him [that he had some time off]. He’s reshaped his body. But he’s got two weeks here to get ready to go. I fully expect him to be a significant contributor starting right after Week 8.”

Carp

DCC 4Life
Quick and explosive...I will be as well if he turns out to be a pressure player.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It's too much to believe that this guy could actually be a player.
No. He is exactly what we are missing. He seems to have a little swag to him as well...we need more dawgs on this D.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No. He is exactly what we are missing. He seems to have a little swag to him as well...we need more dawgs on this D.
He was a late first/early second round caliber DE. I don't think it's that far of a stretch to expect him to provide some pass rush. If he can add more pressure in the passing game and Brent can come back and add more stoutness in our run defense, that would be huge for our defense. Especially considering the secondary has actually started to look pretty good.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
A pass rushing, dynamic, playmaking dawg is definitely what this team is missing.

It would be almost too good to be true if Lawrence could actually be that guy. I think he's too thin to win... unless he's part of a rotation.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
A pass rushing, dynamic, playmaking dawg is definitely what this team is missing.

It would be almost too good to be true if Lawrence could actually be that guy. I think he's too thin to win... unless he's part of a rotation.
Well, they touched on his size quite a bit in that article. Not to homer out, but this is very exciting. At the worst, I think he'll fit right in with the rotation, give us some fresh legs, and at best, we may be calling him out best pass rusher towards season's end. But, that's getting ahead of myself.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I just don't believe in 250 pound defensive ends, no matter how quick they may be. 265-275 (260 if talented enough) is perfect on the weak side and 275-285 good for the strong side.

Lawrence is a man without a position in this defense, and I suspect a future move to Sam ala Von Miller in Denver or Bruce Irvin in Seattle.

In order for that to happen though he needs to prove he can cover, and that's no sure thing for a college lineman.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jesus. The guy hasn't even taken a single snap yet, and by all accounts he was looking good before his injury. Yet you're already writing him off and finding a new position for him?

Your Kony Ealy crush just won't die, will it?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jesus. The guy hasn't even taken a single snap yet, and by all accounts he was looking good before his injury. Yet you're already writing him off and finding a new position for him?

Well at least we dont get to have the Randle rhetoric very much anymore.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Haley playing at 255 lbs didn't hurt him any in the 4-3. And if Lawrence needs to add 10 lbs, I'm sure it can be done.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Haley playing at 255 lbs didn't hurt him any in the 4-3. And if Lawrence needs to add 10 lbs, I'm sure it can be done.
Haley was a LB most of his career and added weight when he came to Dallas. On top of it, he played next to monsters like Leon Lett. Who does Demarcus Lawrence have alongside him in Dallas? If I saw his little ass lined up across from my OL I'd run right over him play after play.

Tyron Smith threw him around like a rag doll. He provided 0 competition for Smith.

Well at least we dont get to have the Randle rhetoric very much anymore.
They need another RB badly. John Randle is nowhere near good enough.

The coaches need to run him more and refuse. That's all the evidence you need. That said, I still think they must run him more. Unfortunately we don't have any other options.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The coaches need to run him more and refuse. That's all the evidence you need. That said, I still think they must run him more. Unfortunately we don't have any other options.
No it tells me that they are serious when they say they arent worried about a pitch count and going with the hot hand.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I just don't believe in 250 pound defensive ends, no matter how quick they may be. 265-275 (260 if talented enough) is perfect on the weak side and 275-285 good for the strong side.

Lawrence is a man without a position in this defense, and I suspect a future move to Sam ala Von Miller in Denver or Bruce Irvin in Seattle.

In order for that to happen though he needs to prove he can cover, and that's no sure thing for a college lineman.
Robert Mathis, John Abraham.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Haley was a LB most of his career and added weight when he came to Dallas. On top of it, he played next to monsters like Leon Lett. Who does Demarcus Lawrence have alongside him in Dallas? If I saw his little ass lined up across from my OL I'd run right over him play after play.

Tyron Smith threw him around like a rag doll. He provided 0 competition for Smith.

They need another RB badly. John Randle is nowhere near good enough.

Were you at camp? and we are talking probably about the best OT in football against a rookie.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
OK, let's do this.

Lawrence is going to SUCK donkey balls.

He isn't going to be able to SNIFF a QB's sack much less sack him.

He will possibly be the WORST draft pick in Cowboys history.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
OK, let's do this.

Lawrence is going to suck donkey balls.

He isn't going to be able to sniff a QB's sack much less sack him.

He will possibly be the worst draft pick in Cowboys history.
Sweet! Lawrence confirmed for Hall of Fame

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:lol

Meanwhile in Carolina, Ealy is a backup who has done zero.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't know... There were no CAPS!! in that post.

Not sure if I buy it.
SWEET!!!!!1111!1! Lawrence CONFIRMED for HALL of FAME!!!11!!!1

:towel :towel :towel :towel :towel :towel :towel :towel :towel :towel :towel

Top Bottom