Archer: Zack Martin better than Cowboys expected

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys knew they were getting just about a sure thing when they took Zack Martin with their first round pick in May.

They just didn't know he would be this good, this fast.

"He's pretty good," coach Jason Garrett said in a massive understatement. "The biggest thing with him for me is he just plays so maturely for such a young guy and has right from the start. We put him in on minute one and he acted like he's been doing this for a long time at this level against really good players. Never seems too big for him. He has all the physical traits that you want to do it.

"He's strong. He's quick. He's explosive. He's got good hands. He's got good feet. He's mentally tough. He's physically tough. All those things. Now, he has to get a lot better, don't get me wrong. He ain't perfect by any means. But there's so much good there and the fact that he plays so maturely emotionally, as well as technically and otherwise, for a young guy is pretty impressive."

Martin started every game he played at Notre Dame at right and left tackle. He is 6-for-6 with the Cowboys at right guard.

Offensive line coach Bill Callahan believes that experience at tackle has helped Martin inside at guard because his athleticism stands out on the interior. Callahan also loves the perfectionist in Martin. He noticed Martin was down after getting tossed by Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt two weeks ago.

"I just kind of laughed and said, ‘Look it happens to everybody. Everybody is going to get rolled up. Everyone is going to get run over, get trucked as we call it. It happens.'" Callahan said. "It's just something that's going to happen to every lineman. He takes such great pride in what he does. Every time he takes a rep, he's competing to win everything he does. That's what you love about him. Every time he steps up to the plate he's trying to hit a home run."

Newt

DCC 4Life
I don't think they will ever give OROY to a lineman, I can't remember it ever happening, but he is making a hell of a case for it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think they will ever give OROY to a lineman, I can't remember it ever happening, but he is making a hell of a case for it.
The only others who really have a shot are Bortles, Benjamin, and Carr.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I agree. But so far, he is far and away the best rookie offensive player. If they're only going to give the award to a skill position player, they should rename it.

superpunk

Banned
he'd need to start getting alot more hype from announcers as a key part of our run game success

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The only others who really have a shot are Bortles, Benjamin, and Carr.
Carr gets it in a landslide at this point. People just can't appreciate an offensive lineman, and especially a guard.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Carr gets it in a landslide at this point. People just can't appreciate an offensive lineman, and especially a guard.
That's if he lasts the season. I know he's only been sacked a handful of times so far, but he still seems like a pretty smallish guy to me. For a team so far under the cap, letting Veldheer go was a big mistake.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's if he lasts the season. I know he's only been sacked a handful of times so far, but he still seems like a pretty smallish guy to me. For a team so far under the cap, letting Veldheer go was a big mistake.
That made little sense. The kid was still relatively young too.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Jaws last night made a point that Martin should have been the NFC Offensive Player of the Week...I kind of agree with him. When we got down to needing critical runs we ran right behind him.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Jaws last night made a point that Martin should have been the NFC Offensive Player of the Week...I kind of agree with him. When we got down to needing critical runs we ran right behind him.
I saw that on PTI. I wonder what the numbers are now, but heading into the Houston game I believe we were averaging 6.9 a pop behind the left side, and just under 5 on the right. I imagine that right side number has only drifted upward since then. I don't know who to give the credit to, but you look at Tennessee and all the resources they've dumped into their offensive line, and then look at us, and we've nailed it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I saw that on PTI. I wonder what the numbers are now, but heading into the Houston game I believe we were averaging 6.9 a pop behind the left side, and just under 5 on the right. I imagine that right side number has only drifted upward since then. I don't know who to give the credit to, but you look at Tennessee and all the resources they've dumped into their offensive line, and then look at us, and we've nailed it.
Even with Free hurt and Parnell pushed into the lineup the Cowboys still ran to the right side in crunch time. Granted the tight end practices most on that side, but the one constant is Martin.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I knew he was going to be good and was glad we drafted him but he's far exceeded my expectations. I didn't expect him to acclimate so quickly but he's a smart kid and a hard worker. If he keeps improving, you could make a case for OROY, especially with no offensive skill players having what you would call outstanding years outside of the one WR but I would be surprised if it happened just because it's so unheard of.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Coaching on the OL can't be over-emphasized. If you don't have it, you can have talented guys flailing like idiots out there. Callahan and Pollack have done a fantastic job getting that group to operate as a team and run the ZBS to perfection.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just like his attitude. Perhaps the nastiest OL we have had since Erik Williams.

No homer.

Top Bottom