BBQ Thread

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I use a Weber Silver charcoal grill. You can find them for a little less than $100.

You can smoke anything on it...ribs, butts, brisket, etc.

I'd like to get a Weber Smoky Mountain at some point, but haven't worked up the nerve the lay down the $300 yet.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I mentioned in the test thread that I recently got a new job. Starting the 19th. Moving to a new apartment the weekend before.

My old place had no outdoor space. In this one, I have an outdoor patio/balcony. It's small, but it's enough room for a grill. I'm on the third floor so I'm a little ways up in the air.

Can you guys make a grill suggestion? Should I do charcoal or propane? What are the pluses and minuses for a small outdoor area like that?
Gas is more convenient, but charcoal will give you the better flavor, imo. Depending on what kind of space you have, Weber make good grills for both gas and charcoal. From tiny to huge, and all sizes in between. I have the performer gold, and love it. It's easy to just grill burgers, and I've also used it to smoke ribs.

http://www.weber.com/grills/category/charcoal

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I mentioned in the test thread that I recently got a new job. Starting the 19th. Moving to a new apartment the weekend before.

My old place had no outdoor space. In this one, I have an outdoor patio/balcony. It's small, but it's enough room for a grill. I'm on the third floor so I'm a little ways up in the air.

Can you guys make a grill suggestion? Should I do charcoal or propane? What are the pluses and minuses for a small outdoor area like that?
I don't think I would use charcoal on a patio. It's probably just me being too much of a safety freak than anything, because I love me some charcoal.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So propane on a balcony patio is better? Why, better chance flames get out of control with charcoal?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So propane on a balcony patio is better? Why, better chance flames get out of control with charcoal?
Once the coals are going, they're not really any worse than gas for flare ups. But they do burn high for a bit when you're first lighting them. I'd recommend using a charcoal chimney to light them vs using lighter fluid. But you'll get flames for a short while either way.

Cotton

Staff member
No, because the heat pretty much goes away as soon as you are done cookingwith propane. Charcoal keeps cooking until it goes out. Leaving a heat source unattended.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No, because the heat pretty much goes away as soon as you are done cookingwith propane. Charcoal keeps cooking until it goes out. Leaving a heat source unattended.
Shut your vents and the coals will die out, so I don't think that's much of a concern. You can even spritz them with a water bottle if you want them out quickly.

I'd think lighting them in the first place would present more of a hazard in a confined place like an apartment's balcony.

Cotton

Staff member
Shut your vents and the coals will die out, so I don't think that's much of a concern. You can even spritz them with a water bottle if you want them out quickly.

I'd think lighting them in the first place would present more of a hazard in a confined place like an apartment's balcony.
Like I said it's mostly just me being a safety freak. The lighting it is an easy answer as you stated above.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I used a small charcoal grill when I lived in an apartment. I just covered it and closed the vents when I was done. It was a tiny grill that almost sat in the ground. Also didn't have a backyard or patio. It was just in front on the sidewalk under the walkway to the second floor apartments. I didn't go anywhere after cooking but I didn't stay outside either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Most places restrict the use of charcoal grills on balconies. I'd check that first but if they allow it, why not.

Cotton

Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Did you wander into the wrong thread? Or was this done specifically to confuse people?
Pretty sure it's part of a anti-propane agenda

hstour

Brand New Member
If you have a Lowe's close, I like either of these two. I have an apt patio (1st floor) so it is a little larger that those above me. I'm just waiting for Memorial day when they put them on sale. I had something similar in the past and found I could smoke or grill on it. Just had to keep my fire small and on one side when smoking, but I never had any problems doing a brisket. I'll have to take a look at how they do the firebox divider on the 2nd one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_404331-95393-MFJ576DNC_4294610386+4294704861__?productId=3878738&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Yes

or

http://www.lowes.com/pd_404332-95393-MFJ576PNC_4294610386+4294704861__?productId=3878740&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Yes

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you have a Lowe's close, I like either of these two. I have an apt patio (1st floor) so it is a little larger that those above me. I'm just waiting for Memorial day when they put them on sale. I had something similar in the past and found I could smoke or grill on it. Just had to keep my fire small and on one side when smoking, but I never had any problems doing a brisket. I'll have to take a look at how they do the firebox divider on the 2nd one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_404331-95393-MFJ576DNC_4294610386+4294704861__?productId=3878738&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Yes

or

http://www.lowes.com/pd_404332-95393-MFJ576PNC_4294610386+4294704861__?productId=3878740&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Yes
Nice, thanks for the heads up on the sales. I do have a Lowes close.

Cotton

Staff member
Nice, thanks for the heads up on the sales. I do have a Lowes close.
Whenever you're ready to learn how to smoke using indirect heat, let me know and I will take you out for waters and explain it.

Top Bottom