Eatman: Fearless ‘Boys Still Standing After This Fistfight

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Eatman: Fearless ‘Boys Still Standing After This Fistfight
Posted 11 hours ago

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

SEATTLE – Pick your standout, any standout.

Terrance Williams for his two huge catches? The defense as a unit for bottling up the Seahawks all game? Maybe Tony Romo or DeMarco Murray who clearly outplayed their counterparts on the other side?

All good choices. But not for me.

The guy who might have made the biggest play of the game – for multiple reasons – isn’t even a starter. He’s the backup to the Cowboys’ best player of the first six games. Yet on Sunday, he delivered quite a punch – literally – when his team needed it most.

To me, Joseph Randle provided the most telling play of the afternoon, and it happened in the first quarter. The Cowboys were already reeling after a blocked punt for a touchdown for a 10-0 deficit. Talk about déjà vu? Just like two years ago, the Cowboys were down 10 thanks to a blocked punt. The Cowboys never recovered and were smashed that day.

Here we are again, the Cowboys have been punched right in the mouth by the defending champs in their loud, raucous house. So what happens? Well, Randle gets a rare first-quarter carry and completely turns the game around.

Call it a 38-yard run if you’d like. I’ll call it an attitude adjustment.

Randle rips off a huge run right down the middle of the field. He knows he won’t score, but he’s certainly going to make someone pay for tackling him. That someone was Richard Sherman, the Seahawks’ All-Pro cornerback.

Randle didn’t just cover up the ball and wait for the collision. Instead, he lowered the boom on the Legion of Boom’s ring leader. Randle didn’t break free. He went down with Sherman, but a message was sent right there.

The Cowboys took the Seahawks’ punch. And thanks to Randle, they fired one right back.

See all that 12th man stuff is supposed to get in your head. You’re supposed to be mentally beat before the kickoff. And usually, all it takes is a couple of bad plays early and teams are put in so much of a hole they can’t recover.

Well, the Cowboys didn’t follow the script. And that’s why this team had enough heart, grit, guts and fight to withstand that.

Randle’s run flipped the field and the Cowboys were able to score a much-needed touchdown. That not only settled the team down, but the guys just went to work.

The defense made stops. The offense moved the chains. Had it not been for some special teams blunders, this game might not have been close on the scoreboard. It certainly wasn’t close on the stat sheet.

The Cowboys dominated in total yards, racking up 401 to just 206 for the Seahawks.

Time of possession? How about the Cowboys owned the rock for 37:39 to just 22:21 for Seattle. That’s just clear example of one defense getting off the field and another that couldn’t.

The Cowboys had 23 first down to just nine for the Seahawks. Nine first downs for the game? The Cowboys had 10 in the second quarter alone.

Just look at the individual matchups for a moment. Tony Romo was way better than Russell Wilson. Then again, that’s not a huge surprise because Romo is a better quarterback than Wilson. Super Bowl ring or not, Wilson is not up to Romo’s level and never has been. Don’t get me wrong – I don’t hate on Wilson at all. He’s a good, smart young player who will be very, very good. But he rarely has to go win the game for this team.

On Sunday, his usually-stout defense was getting beat down. His “beastly” running back was getting contained for the most part, especially on first down. So the Seahawks needed Wilson to win it. He simply wasn’t capable.

In another matchup, DeMarco Murray outplayed Marshawn Lynch, plain and simple. Murray had a tough going in the middle of the game but as it wore on, the offensive line wore down the Seahawks’ defense and Murray kept grinding. What do you know? Another 115 yards, tying only Jim Brown as the only players in league history to start a season with straight 100-yard games.

And the most shocking one of all – the Cowboys’ had the best defense on the field. They were physical, they rushed the quarterback and they tackled well for the most part. The secondary played great on the back end. And it’s not like the offense and special teams did them many favors.

Three times in the game, Seattle started a possession in Cowboys’ territory and twice in the third quarter the Seahawks started out in the red zone. But of those three possessions, Seattle managed just 13 points. That’s a defense rising to the occasion in sudden-change situations.

You’ve got to give some credit to the cornerbacks. The Cowboys are blitzing a lot more these days, meaning Orlando Scandrick and Brandon Carr are left on the island quite a bit. But they rose to the challenge, as did Sterling Moore.

Overall, the defense was just a solid, sound unit that outplayed Seattle’s offense. The Seahawks will sit there and tell us how they didn’t play well. And they’re right. But the Cowboys were the reason why.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this defense is just a different team with Rolando McClain in the middle. His instincts are amazing, evident by that game-clinching interception. But it’s more about his toughness and willingness to mix it up.

McClain’s interception was clearly the final knockout blow. But it was Randle’s haymaker in the first quarter that got the Cowboys off the canvas.

It was a heavyweight fight against the reigning champ, who has the belts. But just like I pointed out in our postgame interview First Take, the Cowboys stole a page from the Ric Flair Bible.

To be the man, you’ve gotta beat the man.

Like all of them, this win counts just once in the standings. Even if it was the biggest one of Jason Garrett’s career and one of the best the Cowboys have had since maybe New Orleans in 2009.

People like to say things like, the Cowboys just sent a message to the league. Or maybe this was a statement game.

Yeah, they made a statement. The Cowboys went into the toughest place to play and faced the defending champs.

And they were clearly the better team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That is what was so effing cool about winning yesterday.

We didn't just sneak into Seattle and creep out with a victory.

We bullied them in their own house and were it not for the special teams gaffes, it wouldn't have been close.

They definitely were not scared or intimidated and really played outstanding football.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
That is what was so effing cool about winning yesterday.

We didn't just sneak into Seattle and creep out with a victory.

We bullied them in their own house and were it not for the special teams gaffes, it wouldn't have been close.

They definitely were not scared or intimidated and really played outstanding football.
Yeah...I believe a lot more Joe Cowboy Haters would be crying if the Cowboys hadn't given up 21 points off stupid turnovers.

They are too stupid to understand how thoroughly dominating Dallas truly was.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah...I believe a lot more Joe Cowboy Haters would be crying if the Cowboys hadn't given up 21 points off stupid turnovers.

They are too stupid to understand how thoroughly dominating Dallas truly was.
Actually, I heard a lot of apologies from talking heads today.

Ross Tucker thought like the rest of us that our D would be dogshit and he was falling on the sword saying the game was not nearly as close as the score indicated.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Actually, I heard a lot of apologies from talking heads today.

Ross Tucker thought like the rest of us that our D would be dogshit and he was falling on the sword saying the game was not nearly as close as the score indicated.
Sorry..wasn't 21 points...it was 17.

Anyways...thats good to hear.

Hopefully everyone keeps underestimating them...nice to see the chip on their shoulders.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That Rick Flair stuff has to have been added right?

If not this dude clearly reads the board.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Seahawks missed Red Bryant and Chris Clemons for sure. You could see in the season opener they were not nearly as stout at the point of attack when the Packers went after them with Lacey.

This is not he same defense without them and teams with balanced attacks will have a good chance to beat them, especially on the road.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That Rick Flair stuff has to have been added right?

If not this dude clearly reads the board.
I didn't add anything. Those are Eatman's words.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This is the most likeable Cowboys team in a long, long time. There are no personalities that draw away from the team and they all work as one. I loved those 90s teams, but there were times where I wanted Irvin and Deion to STFU and just play. Not saying I want them to be vanilla or not show emotion, but I like that we are composed and act like we have been here before.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:

superpunk

Banned
This is the most likeable Cowboys team in a long, long time. There are no personalities that draw away from the team and they all work as one. I loved those 90s teams, but there were times where I wanted Irvin and Deion to STFU and just play. Not saying I want them to be vanilla or not show emotion, but I like that we are composed and act like we have been here before.
RKGs

Top Bottom