Archer: History aside, Dan Bailey's kick huge for Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
History aside, Dan Bailey's kick huge for Cowboys
October, 13, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

SEATTLE – Dallas' Dan Bailey became the most accurate kicker in NFL history Sunday with a 42-yard field goal in the second quarter. It was the 100th made attempt of his career, which allows him to qualify for the record.

“Yeah, I don’t care,” Bailey said with a laugh after the Dallas Cowboys beat the Seattle Seahawks 30-23 on Sunday.

Bailey has made 102 of 112 career field goal attempts, a 91 percent conversion rate.

Maybe it’s not such a big deal, but a 56-yarder in the third quarter was. The Cowboys needed that after the Seahawks had scored 10 straight points after a muffed punt by Dwayne Harris and a fumbled shotgun snap by Tony Romo.

On the first drive of the second half, coach Jason Garrett passed on giving Bailey a chance on a 57-yarder, choosing to play field position with a 17-10 lead. He had little choice on the 56-yarder.

“I’m always ready when my number is called,” Bailey said. “It was good to get that one the second time around and go knock it through.”

It was the longest field goal of Bailey’s career, and it might have been good from 67 yards.

“I had a little bit of a slower rotation, which usually means I kind of get more of the ball, I guess,” Bailey said. “But I felt like I hit it pretty well and I was just happy to put three points on the board.”

The field goal stopped the Seahawks’ momentum, at least temporarily, and it also showed the trust the Cowboys have in Bailey. He missed a game-winner from 53 yards last Sunday at the end of regulation, but came back to knock home the winner in overtime from 49 yards to beat the Houston Texans.

“We felt good about that kick at that moment and said, ‘Let’s do it,’” Garrett said. “I don’t want to say by any means that the game was getting later, because there was still plenty of time, but we just felt like, 'Let’s get him a chance to do this.' He is a helluva kicker. We want to give him opportunities to help our team and he typically comes through when we’ve asked him to.”

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What a kick that was.

It was huge in that moment because it brought us level again, but more importantly, it got the team's mojo back because a kick from that length gets the whole team pumped.

What a kicker this guy is.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
That was a hell of a kick.

I'm homering out like MO-Fo.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And it happened so fast. I looked down at my laptop for what seemed like just a second and looked back up and the ball was in the air.

Top Bottom