Archer: Dan Bailey set to make NFL history

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dan Bailey set to make NFL history
October, 10, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When Dan Bailey makes his next field goal he will qualify as the most accurate kicker in NFL history. Bailey has been so good that he could miss his next five attempts and still surpass Mike Vanderjagt’s mark.

In his three-plus seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, Bailey has made 99 of 109 attempts for a 91-percent success rate. Vanderjagt, whose short-term run with the Cowboys in 2006 was a disaster, holds the record at 86.5 percent.

Making NFL history might mean something to those around Bailey, but it means little to him.

“There’s so many ways you can look at it,” he said. “I think for me I just kind of go off my expectations I set for myself and also kind of how the results in the league have been going for the past few years. I feel like since I’ve been in the league guys have stepped up their game. Everybody has been kind of having a higher percentage of kicks made.”

Since Bailey’s rookie year in 2011, 14 kickers have converted at a higher percentage than Vanderjagt’s record. Three more have been better than 85 percent.

“For me, you kind of judge yourself off your peers,” Bailey said.

Even then he is still at the top, tied with Justin Tucker of the Baltimore Ravens.

Despite the impressive percentage, coach Jason Garrett said he does not assume Bailey will make every kick.

“You never chalk anything up,” Garrett said. “You have to earn it. His mindset and mentality is about that every single day. He works so hard at his craft and he’s a real professional. He’s really, really mentally strong, focused, can handle really any situation we put him in. We’ve given him plenty of opportunities throughout his career to win games for us and typically he comes through. He did it again the other day for us.”

Bailey’s 49-yard field goal gave the Cowboys a 20-17 overtime win against the Houston Texans. And it came after he missed a 53-yarder at the end of regulation that he tugged slightly to the left.

Part of the reason for his success and the widespread belief from his teammates is this: Bailey has had two misses in a game just once in his career.

“I’d like to think not very long,” Bailey said when asked how long it takes him to get over a miss. “Usually you get another opportunity somewhat quickly. Usually within the same game and if not then you’ll probably get one the next game.”

Bailey did not beat himself up after the miss, nor did he see any technical flaw in the process of his kick when he reviewed the game

“As far as what went on, it’s just a miss,” Bailey said, “and you kind of just have to chalk it up and move on to the next one.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Simply friggin amazing. Only 10 misses in his entire career.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Howd yall like that 56 yard chip shot, bitches? Money!

Top Bottom