Machota: Garrett describes one of his favorite parts of the week

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett describes one of his favorite parts of the week
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
5:51 pm on October 8, 2014 | Permalink

IRVING – Jason Garrett doesn’t enter the Dallas Cowboys’ Valley Ranch locker room very often following practice.

But when the Cowboys head coach passes through, it’s usually for the same reason, making sure the players spend some time with kids from the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

“I just think that’s important,” Garrett said. “I mean, that’s what life is all about. Take football out of it, I think we all probably have some of that inside of us as a human being, sympathy, empathy for people who are going through those really challenging situations in life, and add the element that we’re in the jobs that we are. We’re in the NFL, we’re coaching or playing for the Cowboys, we can have a positive impact on someone going through a real difficult time. I think those things are easy for all of us to do.”

Garrett said one of his favorite parts of the week is having the kids break down the team after practice. The team huddles up around the kids as they yell: “Cowboys on three, make it loud, 1, 2, 3!”

“Our guys are around him and our guys are gigantic,” Garrett said. “This kid’s eight years old. He’s this high and there’s Tony Romo and there’s Jason Witten and there’s Rolando McClain, DeMarco Murray. That’s a huge impact on those guys going through a really difficult time. So to me that’s the absolute least we could do.

“And going over and saying hello before the game to make their days better as they’re going through all these hard times, that’s easy stuff. And we benefit much more than they do I’m sure. Just to be around them and they’re an inspiration as they go through their struggles, there’s no question about that.

“… I’ve been in this league for 25 years now and that’s been going on for a long time, a long time before I ever showed up, and it will continue. That’s part of what the culture of the NFL is all about.”

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It's nice they are spending some time with Matt Johnson

Top Bottom