Archer: Amobi Okoye decision coming as soon as Monday

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Amobi Okoye decision coming as soon as Monday
October, 8, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Amobi Okoye no longer wonders if he will play football. To him, it's a question of when.

It's a question for the Cowboys, too.

Okoye is eligible to come off the non-football injury list as he comes back from a brain disorder that left him in a coma for parts of 2012 and out of football. He was cleared in August for full football activities, but the Cowboys chose to put him on reserve/NFI, which keeps him out of the first six games of the season.

The Cowboys do not have to activate Okoye off NFI until Nov. 3 at which time opens up another three-week window in which he can practice but not play. After that window closes, Okoye will have to be added to the 53-man roster, remain on NFI for the rest of the season or cut.

The Cowboys signed him to a two-year deal in the offseason, knowing his return would take time.

Okoye has been working on his strength and conditioning with coach Mike Woicik, but he has not been in full pads since Dec. 30, 2012 when he was with the Chicago Bears. He has not let himself think about what his first game -- whenever that is -- will feel like.

"I'm just letting it freewheel," Okoye said. "I'm excited. I'm anxious. At the same time I'm curious."

Okoye was diagnosed with anti-NMDA encephalitis, a potentially lethal brain injury that includes seizures and memory lapses, in 2013.

He's curious, "just to get back to the things," he said. "I've been out for a while so I'm just curious about when I get back how things will respond, how your body responds."

Okoye played for defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli in Chicago. If he plays this season, they hope he can be a part of a defensive tackle rotation, not a starter. He just wants to get on the field again.

"I feel a ton better," said Okoye of his workouts during training camp, "but time will tell. We're just taking things slowly and taking them the right way. We're just going to see how things go."

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I forgot he was on the team.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I wonder what he will be able to bring to the team, if anything. He's been away from football for a long time and unable to practice, but at the same time he had massive potential coming in to the NFL. I like the idea of having a steady rotation of d-linemen, just not sure if Okoye will be better than what we are already running out there.

superpunk

Banned
idk

potentially lethal brain injury just says to me you should hang em up. aside from the personal risk, how can you go out there as hard as you need to every play when you are scared your brain might dislodge or whatever?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah...not sure who's fucking brainchild of an idea this was for DL help ~circus music in background~...oh, nevermind. PT Barnum is back in town.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
idk

potentially lethal brain injury just says to me you should hang em up. aside from the personal risk, how can you go out there as hard as you need to every play when you are scared your brain might dislodge or whatever?
Huh...I'm guessing you're not a neurologist...

UncleMilti

Staff member
:lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This guy's degenerative brain condition gets worse when he bangs his head, so let's choose a career as a fricking NFL defensive lineman.

Guess it's already affected his decision-making. Can't fault him for going with his heart, but wow, any play could start his slide into a coma. Kinda fucked up.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I just hope this guy doesn't have a case of the ebolas. Can't trust them danged Africans.

UncleMilti

Staff member

superpunk

Banned
This guy's degenerative brain condition gets worse when he bangs his head, so let's choose a career as a fricking NFL defensive lineman.

Guess it's already affected his decision-making. Can't fault him for going with his heart, but wow, any play could start his slide into a coma. Kinda fucked up.
something somethign are you even a brain doctor

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
something somethign are you even a brain doctor
I know you're probably responding to lostxn's attack on your earlier post, but to elaborate there are under 600 cases of Okoye's disease and doctors have no idea how repeated blows to the head may make it worse. I mention this because DL take something like umpteen million blows to the head over their career.

Since he's probably got a nice nest egg from his NFL contracts I'm surprised he's taking the chance of playing again. I mean, last time he had to go into an induced coma. Dude could have died from it.

That he's trying a comeback is courageous, but he must really love football (or $$) to chance such a thing.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Its that miracle PT Barnum elixir.

Top Bottom